Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 05-18-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
Polamar

Repair of Charlie Murat Rod

I have a Murat 9' Spinning Rod over 40yrs. old. The lower metal reel seat is
split. I would like to keep it as original as possible. Would anyone have any suggestions how to repair it without replacing it and who would be good to go to?

Tight Lines!
Polamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Duke41
got gas?

My neighbor took over buidling Murrat rods and making repairs after Charlie died and his son and law took the biz over and moved it to North Attleboro. I have his card at home and will pm you his name and phone #
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41
My neighbor took over buidling Murrat rods and making repairs after Charlie died and his son and law took the biz over and moved it to North Attleboro. I have his card at home and will pm you his name and phone #
I think you neighbor is pulling your leg, considering he did not get the Murats story straight. If he is making rods under the Murat name, he owes the trademark owner some money.

FWIW, Murat rods were made from stock rod building components. Any competent builder can repair a split reel seat

Best regards,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
SeaWolf

from my best understanding, when charlie past away, dave hammock started building the rods and took over the shop. when dave passed on, george (don't remember last name) took over the shop until he closed it up a few years ago. george took most stuff and headed south.

on that note, you reall yhave 2 choices. first, if you want to continue to use the rod, you will really need to have the reel seat replaced. you can still get the chromed brass ones, but you may need to go a size or 2 larger in order to come up from the butt section. that being said, you'll need to remove the cork tape on that lower section and replace it again. if it does in fact have cork tape.

or, you can do what i would suggest to keep the rod as original as it is - hang it up and admire it. bring the rod to a builder, have them match the blank as best they can (if you want the same one) and have them match the thread work, reel seat, etc.

my buddy has a pile of murat and hammock rods and i've replaced about 1 thing or another on those rods thru the years.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Duke41
got gas?

My neighbor was the rod builder for George. His shop was around the corner from my house.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:32 AM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Murat and Hammock built on Lamiglas blanks, cut to their, or the customers', specifications.

All you need to do to keep the Murat look is find someone who can duplicate the wraps.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
Saltheart

George built rods too. He may have had someone else do some but I don't know. I know. George built some of my rods himself and Dave Hammock built some for me way back when. .

THW , I agree , if you want to prserve the rod , hang it up. If you want function , get a graphite seat or plate seat if you want an easier fix.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
Polamar

Repair of Charlie Murat Rod

Thanks for the comments! I am surprised the it would be a Lamiglas blank because the blank is brown. A unique feature of the rod is that it has some type of hard foam (brown brick colored) two section hand grips that are ribbed that fit the hands comfortably that I have never seen anywhere else.
I wish I retired the rod a season earlier.

Tight Lines!
Polamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Brown blank and those hard ribbed grips makes it sound like a rod Charlie built in the late 50s or early 60s. Lami built brownish (some were more on the reddish side) blanks with a weave texture back then. I have one that belonged originally to my dad Been re-wrapped a few times---last time I got rid of those old grips as there were worn almost smooth.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote