Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

Ken Olsen RIP

Computer pioneer Ken Olsen dies at age 84 - Yahoo! News

There's some history lost.
UserRemoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
gf2020

My Dad worked for Digital/Compaq for over 20 years: 1980 - 2001. It was certainly a great company for many years and made a lot of people in MA and NH very successful.

The network of former DEC employees is very wide. I work in IT today and I am always running in to people who have a DEC connection.

Ken Olsen became a bit of a recluse over the past 10+ years which is a sad end for a man who had such a profound impact on both the computer industry as well as the local economy.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Early on in my career I worked on a DEC VAX 8550. The VAX hounds used to tell me the the unix world stole the ideas for unix from VMS.
Reading that story it was sad one guy built something so special and another just dismantles it until it got swallowed up by Compaq and then HP.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Backbeach Jake

DEC was the force behind the "Massachusetts Miracle". Mr. Olsen was the force behind DEC. God bless him.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote