Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Today's Athletes should take a lesson from these 2 guys

I always thought tha Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn were 2 of the most Class acts in BaseBall. They made some great points in there induction speeches that I think should be valuable advice for todays athletes and youth.

"My dad used to say if you take care of all the little things, you'll never have a big thing to worry about," said Ripken, who spent his 21-year career in Baltimore and made his mark by playing 2,632 consecutive games to break Lou Gehrig's record of 2,130. "As the years passed, it became clear to me that kids see it all, and it's not just some of your actions that influence, it's all of them. Whether we like it or not, as big leaguers we're role models. The only question is, will it be positive or will it be negative?"

Gwynn, who spent his 20-year career in San Diego, shared the sentiment.

"We make a big deal about work ethic," he said. "We make a big deal about trying to make good decisions and doing things right, and you know what, we are supposed to. That is what they pay us for."

"My father said you work hard, good things will happen," Gwynn said. "Boy, oh boy, he was absolutely right. I worked hard in the game because I had to."

"You've got to be responsible and make decisions and show people how things are supposed to be done. When you sign your name on the dotted line, it's more than just playing the game of baseball. I think the fans felt comfortable enough in us, they could trust us and how we played the game, especially in this era of negativity."

Sadly we are running out of guys like this in Sports today

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 07-30-2007 at 12:32 PM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
"As the years passed, it became clear to me that kids see it all, and it's not just some of your actions that influence, it's all of them. Whether we like it or not, as big leaguers we're role models. The only question is, will it be positive or will it be negative?"[/B]
Great quote TDF. Kids see it all is right for sure, they see how these guys act on and off the field.

Ya can't fool kids, they learn by example.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
fishbones

It's a shame that most kids probably didn't see the speeches at the ceremony. The media doesn't show much of the good stuff because it's not as interesting as all the bad stuff that athletes (and celebrities) do. There are still some good guys out there, but they are overshadowed by the idiots who are getting arrested or doing other stupid stuff. I hope my son has some decent athletes to look up to when he is old enough to be interested in sports.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Backbeach Jake

Great guys, the both of them.
On kids; as parents, you were judged by your kids before they could speak. Their only example, as a person, was YOUR actions. Remember how intently they watched you when they were infants? They were learning and developing the way that they would conduct themselves in the future. When they finally learned to speak, no matter what you said, they knew true from false. You didn't fool them for a second. If you were false from then on they began learning falseness. Some reject it, more don't. Those public figures who promote falseness are the enemy of our very future, hopes and dreams. That is why a sterling example has such value. Be true in all ways, our future depends on it, literally.
Sorry another JakeRant

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
Be true in all ways, our future depends on it, literally.
Sorry another JakeRant
Your so right Fred.
As we progress and become more and more tech dependent we need people we can trust.

Ex.- our cars are so full of tech there is no way we can repair them ourselves anymore
and need an honest person to diagnose and repair problems. And so on down the line.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
TDF....for every one of these guys (a Tony Gwynn or a Cal Ripken) there are 100 Barry Bonds......it can't be taught or learned......it is instilled in you at birth! Very special players/men indeed!

Note: The influence of their Fathers upon them.......its a shame neither could be there to share the day with their sons.....hopefully they were watching just the same.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote