Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Bronko

"The Path to 9/11"

I was wondering how many watched it? I thought it was phenominal. Truly riveting stuff. In my opinion it was really well done. I thought about it when it was over. I ran through just about every emotion. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion.
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
slapshot

I DVR'd it. Saw half of the first episode, and will watch the rest this week. From what I saw, I thought it was very well done.

Too bad they had to keep flashing that silly disclaimer.

bluefish Jihadist
slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I did not see the first half, just last nights. What I saw did and at times did not jive with what I recall on reading the 9/11 Commision Report. Specifically, the majority of the Air Traffic Control scenes did not match up with the 9/11 Report. The timing of the Air Force flights over the capital and NYC were all wrong, the fighters from "Detroit", all wrong when compared to the 9/11 report. They were definitely done for dramatic a`nd not historical effect. I have heard that the first part was even worse but I have not seen this yet.

What I also saw was that they took a few scenes almost verbatim from several real documentaries that were filmed live that day (like the one from the that firehouse with the 2 brothers filming).

Overall I was not impressed by what I did see. Though the story focusing on FBI Agent John O'Niel was intriguing and I would like to find out more on that. A previous documentary on Rick Rescorla who saved many lives in the first tower hit (and he was also a decorated veteran on Ia Drang in Vietnam and written of by Gen Hal Moore in "We were Soldiers Once, And Young") is also important - I think - for people to see.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Bronko

I would agree there were a couple scenes that don't jibe exactly with what we learned post 9/11 ( I thought there were fighters were scrambled from Otis). Also if you have read Ghost Wars, there are some Taliban /.N. Alliance discrepencies. But all in all I thought it was well done.

I had no problem with the scenes from the French brother's ducumentry obviouslly being adopted. Those are scenes that we all know to be true as to exactly what was happening at Ground Zero at that time. They were live truthful accounts.

I agree. The Rick Rescorla documentary was excellent.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
stripersnipr

I thought it was an acceptable summarization of facts although obviously not verbatim to the actual occurrences. I think the scenes of the Afghanistan fighting were excellent as was most of the acting.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

F-15 fighters were scrambled from Otis but were directed to a training area off Long Island. They did not get orders to go over NYC until later. F-16 fighters were scrambled I believe from Langley AFB but were sent per SOP east over the Atlantic and not into DC until afterward.

What is Ghost Wars? Not familiar with that one.

I just think that for something of this importance, at this time, should be historical fact, not scenes altered for dramatic effect. Sadly, enough Americans get their "history" and even current / recent events from dramas on film and the boobtube. It would be wise I think for people to sacrafice a little bit of ratings for historical fact. This is a little different from Animal House and how the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #7
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR
F-15 fighters were scrambled from Otis but were directed to a training area off Long Island. They did not get orders to go over NYC until later. F-16 fighters were scrambled I believe from Langley AFB but were sent per SOP east over the Atlantic and not into DC until afterward.

What is Ghost Wars? Not familiar with that one.

I just think that for something of this importance, at this time, should be historical fact, not scenes altered for dramatic effect. Sadly, enough Americans get their "history" and even current / recent events from dramas on film and the boobtube. It would be wise I think for people to sacrafice a little bit of ratings for historical fact. This is a little different from Animal House and how the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.
John I see your point. I think many of us have enough knowledge of the factual History to put the dramatization and summarization of that History into perspective but I'm sure that many do not have an understanding of the actual facts and are left with Hollywoods interpretation.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
Bronko

Really worth a read. I'd wait until you hang up the gear for the season. Good "off-season" read.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/04/20/143241.php
Old 09-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
slapshot

They would have had to scramble really fast. If this show was close to the truth they would have had about 10-12 minutes from when the jets veered off course until when they hit the towers. 600mph traveling 100 miles south along the Hudson doesn't give them much time. At what point does air traffic control pick up the phone once the planes change course? You gotta figure it took them at least a few minutes to realize what was happening.

bluefish Jihadist
slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:43 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko
Really worth a read. I'd wait until you hang up the gear for the season. Good "off-season" read.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/04/20/143241.php
Sounds like a similar book I'm into now called "Good Muslim, Bad Muslim"...it's a study on how the roots of 9/11 can be traced directly to the Cold War.

What's amazing is the impact Reagan's proxy war strategy had on the rise of militant Islam during the Afghanistan war.

Given my book is written by an African Muslim, it would be interesting to see if they differ on their accounts of history

No desire to watch the mini-series. History doesn't really need Hollywood f'ing it up, and from all the media it souds like this one was a little off.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote