Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Firewood Question?

I know pine is not an ideal wood for the fireplace/woodstove......creosote buildup and what not but I have a bunch I just split and was wondering if it would be of use in my shop woodstove if I keep my stove pipe clean? Hate to waste!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Aqua-man

Absolutely, I’ve been burning pine for years. I mix it in with my hardwood and burn it a little hotter than I would if I were burning all hardwood. Make sure it’s dry (seasoned) and clean the flue often.
Tom
Aqua-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
Raven

Arrow Mr Larry,

I burned several (maybe 5) cords of pine in my wood stove last winter

the chimney is on the outside of the house...

i have done the same thing in several residences in fact with no flue fire problems....Of course ...i will burn a several fires of straight OAK (afterwards)

too... in a row...and supposedly theres a kreosote removing chemlog available

but thus far...i haven't seen them on sale anywhere...to get some.

rule of thumb...i've read is: every 55 fires clean flue...check flue ect.

also:
make sure your fire insurance can cover everything in the ole
plug shack ,[you have a full typed list saved somewhere?] and the house just in case A fire jumped ship...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Saltheart

mix it with hardwood maybe 20 % max pine , burn it hot with plenty of air available and do clean the chimney now and then.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I burn it. Especially on days. Just have to tend to it more. At nite i burn the hard stuff. Just clean your chimney once a year and you will have no problem. Also buy the brush and do it your self, save you some money.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Raven

Arrow brushes cost 30 bucks

the old man who lived here before me
would just dangle a forty foot chain down the chimney
to dislodge this crud...

pic:
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Wow Karl I have never had any problem burning pine and I burn a decent amount. I also have a newer stove, 8 years old, that burns very hot and efficient and that may have something to do with it. I clean my chimney every fall and if i get a coffee can of ash, soot, i am lucky. I have a stainless chimney.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 04-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Same exact thing happened to me Karl when I lived in Bridgewater about 16 years ago! Brand new wood stove...just a few months old at the time, the firewood that was delivered to me was not "seasoned" as was advertised!! It was damp and had that "hissing" sound of moisture when it burned! Anyway, I heard a crackling sound that sounded like it was coming from inside the wall......scared? You bet I was! Looked out the back door at the top of the flue pipe and there was that blue flame you talked about! Grabbed the fire extinguisher and shot it into the stove......fire out! Thats why I was asking......have to wonder if its worth the risk?

Old 04-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

well that would change my mind too. I think having a stainless chimney helps as it probably doesn't stick to it like masonry. I personally don't try to burn pine but I do if I got it. I much prefer hard wood as pine requires me to have to load it too often. Chimney fires happen a lot.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Mine was stainless.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Well I don't know what to say but for me I have never had hardly any buildup in my chimney at all. Just speaking of my own personal situation. I am always on the side of caution so If you are not comfortable I would say screw it. One question why would you want to burn pine? Like I said I don't look for it but if I get some I use it. Did you get a bunch or have access to some for free?

Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
Rob Rockcrawler

i burned a bit of hemlock last year, after 1 log i could hear it crackling in the chimney. I gave it to the neighbor for bonfires.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I had 2 tree trunks come down in my yard 2 years ago......been sitting there in the back so I finally got it sectioned and I am splitting it either to season and burn in my shop or to burn it in my yard to get rid of it? I think it might be ok in my shop stove if I clean the pipe occasionally.....pipe will only be about 8-10 feet in height! I think I will dry it out and see how it goes......gonna have to sit until next spring anyway before I burn it in the yard...burning season ends this week!

Old 04-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I have been burning wood for a long time and would never, ever burn pine in my stove. It can and will crack your tiles and you'll never know until you wake up some night and your house is on fire. And I clean mine professionally every year. Burn at least four or more cords every year. I shudder to think that anyone burns pine.

I'll tell you a funny story about how I screwed up once. Changed the oil in my truck. Brought the old oil down back to the shed to store it until I brought it to my buddies garage so he can use it in his heater. Well some spilled on the wood stack where I set the old god damn oil. When I got to that part of my wood and actually put it into the stove, the stove overheated to about 1200 degrees. Holy moley. Hapened three or four times. There was quite a bit more wood that had been soaked in the engine oil. But I realized my error and threw away the cordwood soaked in oil, and everything went much better.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I will save the pine for my backyard firepit then.