Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Coco Crisp

Catching up on my sports here.

Now are there rules for defending a stolen base. Crisp was angry that the Rays second baseman blocked the bag during a stolen base attempt. I guess this was the beginning of what started the bench clear last night.

You can block home plate to stop a run. Can't you do the same for all the other bases. I wasn't understanding where Coco was coming from. Nice fight club skills though dodging that punch.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
fishbones

Most "rules" in MLB are the unwritten kind. Crisp was p.o.'d because the shortstop blocked the base with his knee and Crisp hurt his hand when he slid in. Most guys won't do what Barrett did on a stolen base attempt, but catchers will do it to prevent a runner from scoring. Catchers wear equipment for protection and infielders usually try to avoid contact so they don't get hurt. What Crisp did last night was kinda bush league. He knew he was going to get plunked and should've just taken his base. But, I'm not complaining because brawls are fun to watch.

It will be interesting to see if that lunkhead Gomes gets plunked next time they play. He was throwning punches at Crisp who had 2 other guys on top of him and his arms weren't free to defend himself. And Crawford admitted to pulling hair while he was in the pile. What a bunch of sissies. I'd like to see any of those guys take a shot at Nolan Ryan. Even at his age now, he'd beat any of those guys down.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Here's what I'd like to see..
Plunk Gomes, preferably by a Pap or Beckett fastball. He had no business in there, let the pitcher (and maybe the catcher defend his pitcher) otherwise, no need to pigpile on Crisp like that.

Then have gomes start out and Tek get him.
I don't think Tek fights like a sissy!!!

CoCo was loving it! Couldn't stop smiling in the interview. My guess is part of him is saying 'I'm a little guy, but I'll go after people!

WTF was up with Manny/Youk too?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Stewie
Scarecrow

I think Coco started for first base, and then thought to himself, "if I go after this starting pitcher and he swings at me, or even if he doesn't, we'll both get thrown out of the game. We have an extra outfielder, but wiping out the starting pitcher in the second would be the absolute nuts"

I don't think he had any idea it would turn into a large scale war, but he came out smiling, good for him
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote