Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Jury Duty

I got picked for a jury today we ended up finding the guy not guilty. A&B (supposed kick in the ass) and threat to commit a crime (murder)

I feel bad for one person in the whole thing...4 year old kid that Dad has custody of is the loser in the whole thing. Shame.

First time I've ever had jury duty and it was a neat experience to see the inner workings. Their chairs suck though
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I got picked a few years ago. It was definitely an eye opening experience. My case was assault with a deadly weapon, we went not guilty. I was the foreman and had to stand up in a packed courtroom and give the verdict.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

woman was out for blood and her story didn't' jive with his or the cops and he was very credible. It was basically a he said she said. By law he had to be not guilty because we had so many doubts in the group. 6 person jury with an alternate.

If someone barged in my house after a restraining order was expired I'd probably be tempted to kick her in the ass myself. Not saying it's right or that's what he did but when your flip to the ADA who is trying to help you and then flip to his lawyer and your story don't add up then hey beyotch don't waste all these people's time.

Never ever have a kid out of marriage.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
fishbones

Which court did you have to go to? I got called to New Bedford a couple of months ago and the chairs in the jury room were pretty comfy. And we got to watch t.v. while waiting to be called. The chairs for the jurors in the court room were pretty good too, except that I was only in it for about 5 minutes before I was kicked off the jury. It's the second time I was selected for the jury and then booted by either the prosecutor or the defense attorney. It's too bad because I can tell if someone's guilty just by looking at them.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

westboro. metal chairs in the pool room ugh
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Which court did you have to go to? I got called to New Bedford a couple of months ago and the chairs in the jury room were pretty comfy. And we got to watch t.v. while waiting to be called. The chairs for the jurors in the court room were pretty good too, except that I was only in it for about 5 minutes before I was kicked off the jury. It's the second time I was selected for the jury and then booted by either the prosecutor or the defense attorney. It's too bad because I can tell if someone's guilty just by looking at them.
See--I knew I was right to bounce you

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

yanno the thing that bothered me thru the whole thing is watching the whole thing objectively and seeing that #1 the cops arrested him, then he had to hire a lawyer which was probably 10-20k, the woman waltzed in there and really had a glib attitude towards even the ada and then his lawyer. I realize the cops probably had a duty to arrest him but it was basically a trumped up charge and sucked for everyone involved because it was a waste of 15 people who had to take a day off of work, a 1/2 day of judges time, clerk, lawyers time and really they were both caught up in a situation that was a no win for either side. These two had a kid out of marriage, built a new house together then a year later it fell apart and it probably ruined his life more than hers. They didn't come out and say it but by inference you knew that he had a restraining order out against her because she hadn't been near the house for a year...so right there seeing it all after the trial you knew she was a frickin wacko that went off on the guy at some point then did it again after the RO expired and probably figured she'd screw with the guy and put him in jail. Meanwhile he's already filed custody of the kid and got it, and she's got no cares in the world. He's in the house still and she's still part owner. sucks to be him I think I'd move out of the place and put it up for sale if it isn't already. She basically is trying to ruin his life at this point and I don't think she cares how it happens.

people suck sometimes.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
striperman36
Old Guy

Being on a jury trial is one way to see how messed up people can be.
another is to work behind a pharmacy counter, 80 % of the world in on anti-something medication.
Even better is to listen to a police scanner
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I serve when asked ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
he had to hire a lawyer which was probably 10-20k
Not even close. I wish the going rate for a District Court domestic A&B was in that neighborhood---I wouldn't have had to take a salaried job

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
We have a police scanner going 24/7 in our house. You hear everything!

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote