Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Taxes?

With the new year comes the time to see how much of my loan to the GVT I will get back. For the past few years, I had a local guy that was doing my taxes. Well, after last year he retired. What do most of you out there use? I see commercials for places like H&R Block, but I have never used them or spoken to someone that has. Also, there is the option to do them myself with something like Turbo Tax. Just kind of testing the water to see what my best option would be.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Clammer

turbo .tax.. with also a retired friend that was a accountant ... & that because my tax return package has some unique filings.
If it wasn,t for that ..it would be just turbo -tax , real easy to folllow & a hell of a lot cheaper than HRB .

just IMO ...Mike

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
cheferson

Ive used taxact.com the last 3-4 years. No complaints, quick , and good explanations.
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
basswipe

TurboTax since 2000.

If you're filing nothing but 1040EZ you can do it online for nothing and have you're money direct deposited in many cases less than a week.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
MakoMike

I've been using a computer Pkg. called "taxslayer" it costs $19 and includes them filing your returns electronically.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Turbo Tax for 10 years, no complaints. First couple of years did them maually to check it out and TT always gave me a slightly larger return.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
fishaholic18
Finally

I've been using Turbo Tax for a while now and don't plan on stopping anytime soon...Makes it easy... I use the epay option, the return gets deposited in my account within a few weeks......Nice

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
PaulS

I've used turbo tax and will continue to do so.

I've heard people mention that you shouldn't use a 3rd party to send in your taxes as they will have your info. in their files and in the event of a security breach you might regret it.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
fishbones

Not trying to hijack, but does anyone else work in a different state than they live in and use Turbotax, or something similar? I'd be fine doing my taxes online, but it seems like it might get confusing with the 2 different states.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Not trying to hijack, but does anyone else work in a different state than they live in and use Turbotax, or something similar? I'd be fine doing my taxes online, but it seems like it might get confusing with the 2 different states.
The "Taxslayer" program that I use handles that situation with no problem.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Thanks all. TT seems like the way to go. For thoose that have used it before, how easy it for a non-accountant type person? It looks like the free version of TT will do fine for my GF's return as she just has her wages, but I have the home, camper, and a few small items to claim.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
Nebe

its really easy Toby.. If I can do it..well.. you know.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #13
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
Thanks all. TT seems like the way to go. For thoose that have used it before, how easy it for a non-accountant type person? It looks like the free version of TT will do fine for my GF's return as she just has her wages, but I have the home, camper, and a few small items to claim.
easy

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote