Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
Rob Rockcrawler

Whale Wars

Anyone see this show on aminal planet. I got sucked into a marathon on sunday. A entertaining show for sure. They are a bunch of idiots, who call themselves pirates. They try all sorts of tactics to stop the japanese whaling boats near Antarctica. They are like greenpeace with a set of balls. Someone is going to die out there. They actually had the nerve to protest the seal clubbers in canada too.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

Nope no death
They just come back with a few busted ribs and stuff
Their ploy is to BOARD the whaling vessels to present a international warrant.
While they are on the vessel, they alert the global media.

It's a little extreme for sure. Unfortunately, there is no policing the international waters down there so the Jap whaling fleet just runs amok. These are the only people trying to do something about it.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
MakoMike

These guys are dangerous both to themselves and to tohers. Did you see them trying to foul the props of a Japanese ship? Throwing oil bombs at the ships to make the decks too slippery to stand? And their Captain Paul Watson, obviously doesn't give a damn about his crew and their safety. Most of the time the crew looks totally drugged out. I'm pulling for the Japanese.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

I think they said the menke whale population is about 650,000. I think the "saviors" are claiming the japanese take 1000 per season or so. What's the problem here? Or are my numbers wrong?
If my numbers are right its no wonder nobody gives a %$%$%$%$. Its like taking a couple buckets of pogies out from a large school.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
striperman36
Old Guy

And they named the boat the "Steve Irwin", shame shame.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post
What's the problem here? Or are my numbers wrong?
Pogies aren't cute...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

oh man this show annoys the hell out of me. It seems like they just pick up yahoos with no experience whatsoever to crew the ship, yeah that's real safe. they've said it many times, they are willing to go to extreme measures and even die for their cause.... sounds a little whacked out to me!
the whaling stuff is concerning as any unregulated fishery is dangerous, but if those numbers are correct, it's no wonder nobody gives a crap.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Bocephus

Seems to me if the Capt was serious, he would have a trained crew that have actually spent time on a boat prior to boarding a boat headed for the Antarctic. But my guess is that he is a douche of the highest order, the only people that want to go are lost souls without common sense, that dont know him. Boat must STINK like petchulli, however you spell it, the perfume that deadheads wear
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
MakoMike

Yes the Minke whales are not endangered, and yes Paul Watson is an ass.

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 12-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
FishermanTim

It looks like the captain is loading his crew with a lot of "red-shirt" personnel (see Star Trek).
I applaud the merit of their cause, but their methodology is whack.

If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
If a inexperienced eco-terrorist gets killed in the middle of the Antartic Ocean, and no one sees or hears about it, does it really matter?

As for the Japanese "research" vessels, if no other country in the world goes through the trouble to circumnavigate the whaling laws of the world, why keep up the false pretense of kiiling 1000 whales every year? They must be the stupidest researchers in the world if they haven't learned all there is to learn after harvesting 1000's of whales already. (Just following their reasoning for killing the whales.)

The show will probably get axed when someone buys it.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
Bronko

The Captain is a passive aggressive freak show. The crew is dangerously inept. They are a greater danger to themselves than the Japanese are to the whales.

I watch just to see how badly they botch their "missions."

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
Rob Rockcrawler

If the props got fouled severely and a storm picked up that could get really ugly quick. A ship could sink. I wonder if the captain would actually be jailed for it, or if his friends like Martin Sheen would get him out.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
As for the Japanese "research" vessels, if no other country in the world goes through the trouble to circumnavigate the whaling laws of the world, why keep up the false pretense of kiiling 1000 whales every year? They must be the stupidest researchers in the world if they haven't learned all there is to learn after harvesting 1000's of whales already. (Just following their reasoning for killing the whales.)
There are several other countries doing the same thing. Iceland is one but I forget the other. BTW the U.S. and many other countries allow whales hunts for their "indigenous peoples."

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 12-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
There are several other countries doing the same thing. Iceland is one but I forget the other. BTW the U.S. and many other countries allow whales hunts for their "indigenous peoples."
I stand corrected regarding other countries, but the one major difference between other countries and our own indigenous people is that the countries aren't deploying man-powered boats to hunt down 1 whale but, instead deploy fleet of ships, or floating factories.
I believe the Japanese slap a "research" tag on their whaling excursions to lessen the uproar from those apalled by whaling.
(IE"Well, it's being done in the name of research.")

Anywho, there's destined to be some kind of "incident" aboard that ship of fools.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Their ploy is to BOARD the whaling vessels to present a international warrant.
They need to hire some Somalia pirates for the job.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:28 AM   #16
redcrbbr
here fishy fishy

Send a message via ICQ to redcrbbr Send a message via AIM to redcrbbr Send a message via Yahoo to redcrbbr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
The Captain is a passive aggressive freak show. The crew is dangerously inept. They are a greater danger to themselves than the Japanese are to the whales.

I watch just to see how badly they botch their "missions."
yep

redcrbbr
of all the things i've lost...i miss my mind the most!!

redcrbbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #17
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

their cause is just imo. their methods are insane- totally untrained crew is going get someone seriously hurt. love the hot chick on board, the one with the dweeb boyfriend. capt. is a tool- ya think he was really shot??

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Keep in mind this is a made for TV show too and needs much drama to capture an audience. For all we know they could be in the gulf of Mexico for much of the filming...

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote