Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Jaycet62

Casting Big, Old, Home Rolled Plugs

Hey, Guys

I went down to fish my new plugs with my bud in RI last weekend. We had electronics trouble with das boat which was OK with me because, as you know, I had a bag full of home grown plugs to try out. The problem with Little Compton and every other place we tried was that the winnd was blowing off the ocean, wicked.

I was trying to re-educate my thumb with an old conventional set-up that I loved, but had my troubles.

So, let me ask these......(a) replacing dacron on my Penn Squidere.....what should I be thinking for options.....the damned kinky old Andes (or my imobile thumb) just caused me problem after problem?

and, (b) casting into the wind tactics ? My Cabelas waders worked great at the Goose Wing Beach, but I couldn't get out beyond the 2nd break ....not a reel problem since I was having such a hell-of-a-good time watching my wooden plugs dance......but a fish would have been nice. Longer casts would have been nice , too. Those Dannys....they were tough for me to chuck! Suggestions? Ideas? Comments?

Anyone willing to share pointers private to private on the Tiverton access point.......was my time in the shallows just dumb? Thanks, J
Jaycet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycet62 View Post
Hey, Guys

I went down to fish my new plugs with my bud in RI last weekend. We had electronics trouble with das boat which was OK with me because, as you know, I had a bag full of home grown plugs to try out. The problem with Little Compton and every other place we tried was that the winnd was blowing off the ocean, wicked.

I was trying to re-educate my thumb with an old conventional set-up that I loved, but had my troubles.

So, let me ask these......(a) replacing dacron on my Penn Squidere.....what should I be thinking for options.....the damned kinky old Andes (or my imobile thumb) just caused me problem after problem?

and, (b) casting into the wind tactics ? My Cabelas waders worked great at the Goose Wing Beach, but I couldn't get out beyond the 2nd break ....not a reel problem since I was having such a hell-of-a-good time watching my wooden plugs dance......but a fish would have been nice. Longer casts would have been nice , too. Those Dannys....they were tough for me to chuck! Suggestions? Ideas? Comments?

Anyone willing to share pointers private to private on the Tiverton access point.......was my time in the shallows just dumb? Thanks, J

Sounds like surf fishing to me. You could obviously venture out a bit further in a wetsuit and cast further with something other than a danny.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Jaycet62

Hi Luds: I'm old(er) and neither my wet nor dry suit will fit any more...pissa! I can't even fit into my whitewater kayak....like I said, pissa (X2)!

Life goes on!

Ideas on how to cast more better or good line these days for a Squider? J
Old 05-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

A squidder into the wind is a tough place to start (or restart). I'd go with 30lb ande backcountry mono. Braid or fireline is going to saw off your thumb. You also need to fool with the oil viscosity in the bearings. Nothing thin. Rocket fuel red/ rocket fuel xs are good, SAE 50 wt another option. Your rod is crucial too. Something slow action that unloads smoothly is best. 8 feet at least (longer if graphite) Don't snap your stroke at the end. Metal lips are not going far into any wind (though sometimes they don't have to) and over-powering them is counter-productive. Needles, bottles, or darters are better.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Gary
The Bawston Whalah

As for the squidder I am using Lubrication Engineers 75-140 GL 5. in laymans terms 75-140 wt gear oil. Im using a Stcroix 10' Medium Fast and I can some damn good distance with PP 65. I just keep my thumb on the side of the spool.

BTW how is the knot strength on the ande back country 30, I havent had the best of luck with the green ande, but great luck with the envy green?
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Jaycet62

Thanks, I'll check my oil and try again! Not familiar with rocket fuel? 50 wt I can find!

I think I had the most trouble when I tried harder-----but then I had the same trouble hitting golf balls! Ah......

I've got an older, longer lamiglass rod, too. I'll try that this weekend. I remember it as pretty stiff, but will try it again. I appreciate the help and thoughtful reply. J