Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
dannyplug1

Vega Question

I recently took the plunge and purchased a vega duplicator you know the one about 250 from packard. So far the learning curve has been tough. four exploded on the lathe out of five. I know the set up is right as the famous Canal man generously helped me set it up. There is no way I could have done it my self. Thanks Canalman!
I am using the cutter the vega came with and turning red cedar ballesters. Is my explosion problem due to my inexperience, the quality of the cutter, or is red cedar delicate? Thanks I appreciate your input. Thanks dannyplug1 king of Small Striped bass.
dannyplug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Are you making a couple of passes to rough out the shape before doing the final pass? If you just try an run the template without doing that they will tear up.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
smac

Are there any checks(cracks ) going through the wood ? Like DF mention are you taking to much material off ? Once the corners ar eknocked off I usually go 1/16"-18" on each pass until I get close to the final pass. Then the speed and depth are reduced.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

I took the spring off mine that holds the cutter down onto the wood and I just do it by hand pressure now. I, too, had a couple bodies explode due to my taking too much of a bite off the wood.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Mugz

This makes me nervous...I am picking up a new Vega this weekend.
Good to see what I am up against. But, I do know you can't rush or lay into the wood. This will make my much more cautious.
Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Watch the stylus as you rough. Turn the entire blank straight almost to the hifghest pont on the master/template. Then go in and rough along teh slopes and low points. When you have all but say a 1/8 inch of material to go, let the duplicator do the job. If you have slopes let the duplicator follow from the high points going down. For some reason Vega dups don't like to turn coming uphill.

Simply remember not to crowd the tool. You will have no blow ups.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
stripermaineiac

Make sure your blanks are long enough so that the cutter doesn't jam at the end of the body due to the angle being too sharp.Just take it slow n easy and you'll love the thing real quick. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote