Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-08-2003, 08:59 PM   #1
Notaro
None

apologies

hey gentlemen, i wanted to apologize to all of you on the last post. i'm sorry that you think that i was being selfish. well, i didn't think i was. i didn't realize it. so again, i want to apologize for it. my comments weren't acceptable. i am very sensitive about my deafness as you people are sensitive about your american pride. but i didn't start the battle on the thread. a person did. but my actions were worst than others. and i re-read. i think that i might have misunderstood all of you. so it looks like i'm wrong about everything. so how can i make this up to you?
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:06 PM   #2
Notaro
None

another thing, i feel stupid because i jumped into conclusions.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:11 PM   #3
fishsmith
DDG-51

make your next post a picture of a keeper you landed by reading all the replies to the posts you've put here. or better a post a picture of your report card showing a 3.0 or better.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:13 PM   #4
Notaro
None

very funny, man. im a college student now. im not in a high school anymore. i dont need to post my report card, but my keepers that i learned from reading replies to my post.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

No prob - Just relax and lighten up and do some of the homework that we're talking about AFTER you do better in college... Don't screw that up because of fishing!

Pay your dues a little...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:23 PM   #6
Notaro
None

of course, i will. i intend to do that. give me some times, but i won't post any more question until i do the legworks and only ask if i have any problem with the spot or a technique.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:41 AM   #7
STEVE IN MASS

Unhappy

Notaro - I apologize to you as well.....not really for what I posted, but for the way you interpreted it.

Please, be assured that I was not putting you down becasue of your handicap. In fact, I admire you for having to deal with it, yet persuing college, and trying to enjoy your life to it's fullest.

As far as your "Americanism", as you put it, again, that was not a knock on you at all. I don't at all question your love or patriotism for this country. In my last job, I had to supervise and work with people from all over the world....Germany, India, Cambodia, Latin America, Isreal, Egypt, etc. One thing that I learned, and was only trying to point out, is that Americans have a habit of using euphanisms quite freely, things like "Hogwash", "Full of Baloney", "Piece of Cake", etc., which people who speak English as a second, or even a third language do not always understand. And it's not at all their fault, in fact, WE are at fault for being so, um, shall I say "self-centered", that we mindlessly throw around those euphanisms without thinking about the implications.

So, as I said, while I cannot apologize for the intended message of my post, I hope you will except my sorrow for the way you took it. Perhaps I could have done a better job of trying to get my points across.

And I also apologize to John and any of the other members here to which I may have caused anguish......

So, as my Isreali ex-boss would say "Piece of Pie!"....

Last edited by STEVE IN MASS; 04-09-2003 at 06:44 AM..
STEVE IN MASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:28 AM   #8
BigBo

Notaro, your enthusiasum for the sport is commendable. I think most people here get frustrated when their thread gets hijacked by you. As others have suggested, the best thing you can do is read the posts and try to learn as much as possible, use the search function (tons of info there), and pick up and read as many books on the subject that you can find. Then do as most of us do; just get out there and give it all a try. When a particular spot or bait, or time doesn't work, make a change until you hit on a winning combination. Then, once you start perfecting things, your questions will become a little more specific and people will be more eager to help rather than all the many general (where, when, what, how) questions. When I get interested in something, I like to learn as much as possible about it and part of that is certainly learning on my own and putting in the time and leg work. Frequent a local bait and tackle shop. Keep going back there, become a regular customer, and you'll find that a wealth of information as well. You'll find most of the owners of the local shops more than eager to set you up with the right equipment for the fish you want to target.
I think what everyone is trying to say is slow down a bit and give yourself a chance to absorb the information. I f you're looking for someone to fish with watch for one of the S-B get togethers and I'm sure you'll hook up with someone.
Best of luck in the upcoming season.
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:40 AM   #9
Krispy

Dont sweat it Notaro. I for one am glad you are still here
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:42 AM   #10
Duke41
got gas?

Dude,
Just use the power of the search button. The Button knows, use the buttons force for good Skywalker.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:16 AM   #11
chris L

Notaro
Im gald to see you still here and am willing to learn . So shut up and listen I dont think anyone meant to be mean to you . As far as your deafness dont flaunt it no one can tell when your on line . As far as our pride of America arent you proud . I dont care where you are originally from all our families are from somewhere else too . Except for native Americans and lab experiments . We all use slang and sayings that some may not understand ( sometimes I dont either ) . sit back and do a search for answers and except what info is given from others . Do you sign or read lips ?

when you can relax and learn you will enjoy this sport that much more . And get the Hell out of DC .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:11 PM   #12
PNG

It becomes clear... chris L, lab experiment, you decide
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:39 PM   #13
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Send a message via AIM to Homerun04
Just my 2 cents worth.....

It is a funny thing.....striper fishing is unlike fishing for any other species of fish - I find. Due to the "nature" of striper fishing (that being their elusiveness, learning the conditions, timing, reading structure, tide changes, moon phases, lighting issues, bottom conditions, etc.), most anglers have spent LIFETIMES perfecting their striper skills. And most old-timers will tell you that you will NEVER really become an expert striper fishermen anyway. It is a life long persuit of perfection that is never really mastered.

As such, Notaro, I think what you will find is that striper fishing is more a journey, then a quick answer. Therefore, most of the more experienced anglers are not as willing to share all they have learned as they understand one must learn for themselves all this knowledge. They do , however, share much of the thoery they know. Amd S-B is one of the best places I have found to learn this theory.

Simply put, finding stripers is considered the reward for many years put on the water learning the hard way. And people can be very territorial about sharing the knowledge they have learned the hard way over the years.....

Good luck.

"You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give"
Homerun04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 02:14 PM   #14
chris L

passngas you know ! Im not a Native American but Im a native .

chris
I got my rod from M&Ds this past weekend and Tony does some nice work . The stick is beautiful ! Im going to go to the cape tomorrow for my permit and am going to cast this stick .
Old 04-09-2003, 04:29 PM   #15
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

Let me tell you boys alittle something about the deaf. These things I know about first hand. my son is of 17 years is totally deaf.
1...people treat them like #^&#^&#^&#^&, when they find out they can't talk[most] people just walk away leaveing him standing there.
2..deaf people and they are people like you and me take what others say or type and inturpret them in different ways than hearing people do.
3..try walking into a tackle store or any other store and see if anyone will take the time to explain or even bother to give you the time of day.
4...their [deaf] link to the world is the computer, here they almost equal to eveyone else if not better, this is why they ask so many ??. because here atleast most people will talk to them, so if they seem alittle wired their only looking for some communication that they don't get on the outside world.
5.. I've tryed takeing my son out bass fishing at night, it doesn't work. try signing in the black of night with a fishing rod in your hands, one you can't an two he can't see you, he gave up fishing altogether at night with me,,I feel like crap, its daylight fishing only if we want to fish together.
6..so when I read in some posts here that a hard of hearing person or deaf person is only trying to get some answers that most people get just by asking their buddy or asking at a tackle shop by voice hits home pretty hard, reguardless of how many ? they ask or nagging they may be try living in their shoes sometime an see how far you get....

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:05 PM   #16
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Send a message via AIM to Homerun04
I can understand your sensitivity. Hopefully you didn't feel that I was one of the people who were slighting the deaf...??

In fact, I think people who are deaf are normal people like you and I.....I am loosing my hair, some are loosing their hearing.....what's the difference? Nothing in my opinion.

Judge people by what's in their soul, and you will never be disappointed in your expectations of others......

"You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give"
Homerun04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:38 PM   #17
Goose

Quote:
Originally posted by Homerun04

Judge people by what's in their soul, and you will never be disappointed in your expectations of others......

I like that.....alot!
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:47 PM   #18
Goose

capesams, thanks for the wake up call!
Old 04-09-2003, 06:31 PM   #19
Notaro
None

alright, thanks, guys, i feel like a fool for what i did. again, thanky tou, guys. im waiting until i leave DC an return to boston where everything is normnal there. why? CB doesn't have any good shore fishing. i made a phone call to a T&B store in baltimore and they told me that there aren't productive ground spots. fishing on the water do the tricks. lucky for me, i will go on the charter boat next saturday 19th. i can't wait. i will post some pics when i have the chance.

yes, i do read lip and sign ASL. i sign pretty fast and a little different. sometimes my people don't understand me.

anyway, again, i wanted to thank you for all of your past advices on the posts and threads. i will pay my dues by researching and doing the footworks.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:05 PM   #20
PNG

Lab experiment,
Where, when?
Yes Tony does very nice work. I like the color choices. Fresh ideas, outside the "box"
Chris
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:26 PM   #21
JohnR

Good point(s) Cape... I was hoping you and one other person would chime in here...

Your boy married yet?

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-09-2003, 08:39 PM   #22
capesams

John ......close......shes doin his dirty laundry.

BOAT fish do count.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:40 PM   #23
JohnR

Quote:
Originally posted by capesams
John ......close......shes doin his dirty laundry.
HEHEHEHE - That's because he's SMARTER than you (and me ) AND got Big Brass Ones

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-09-2003, 09:16 PM   #24
capesams

smarter!! that a given, I'll have to ask her about the brass

BOAT fish do count.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:22 PM   #25
chris L

Notaro
enjoy your day on the water and catch some fish . once you start using the info from on line youll get a better understanding of how it all comes together .

I also think you will find it more productive too on line when asking questions .

ENJOY !!
Old 04-09-2003, 09:28 PM   #26
chris L

where ? when ? sorry its classified ! lets just say it in the side of a mountain and there are many like me still there . they will be joining us soon .

thanks "Fresh ideas, outside the "box" kinda experimental . they are 2 of my favorite colors . I wanted yelow too but Tonies idea of the gold was a better fit . it was a good colaberation and great art work .

Thanks Tony Ill be casting it tomorrow at head of the meadow .

Last edited by chris L; 04-09-2003 at 09:31 PM..
Old 04-09-2003, 10:15 PM   #27
Goose

Thanks Guys. Fancy rods don't catch fish, fisherman do!!
Old 04-09-2003, 10:44 PM   #28
chris L

but its nice to catch those fish on a unique , one of a kind ( hopefully ) , persoanlized rod . plus it gives you something visually appealing .

Im a goffer oops golfer !