Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
FishermanTim

Creative reporting...

TV stations must be hurting for stories and/or reporters when they broadcast self-made youtube videos as news?

The latest was a story about a motorist harassing a pair of cyclist riding along the side of a road.
It "just so happens" that the cyclists both had cameras while riding, and even though the motorist appeared to be the instigator in the clip, I would like to know why the cyclist were carrying cameras while they rode? I know when I ride I keep my hands on the handlebars and keep my eyes on the road, and not on a person driving behind me.

This makes me think that maybe, just maybe, these cyclist may have provoked the driver BEFORE they started filming so they could capture the drivers reaction on video.

I know that most cyclist adhere to the basic rules of the road, and don't create problems. There are always cyclists and drivers that just don't get it as well.

Once again, I can't understand WHY they were videoing their bike ride, unless they knew or expected something would happen (something they instigated before the video was started).

Seems like there are more and more youtube idiots wanting their miniscule 15 minutes of fame, regardless of how they get it or who gets hurt in the process!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
TV stations must be hurting for stories and/or reporters when they broadcast self-made youtube videos as news?

The latest was a story about a motorist harassing a pair of cyclist riding along the side of a road.
It "just so happens" that the cyclists both had cameras while riding, and even though the motorist appeared to be the instigator in the clip, I would like to know why the cyclist were carrying cameras while they rode? I know when I ride I keep my hands on the handlebars and keep my eyes on the road, and not on a person driving behind me.

This makes me think that maybe, just maybe, these cyclist may have provoked the driver BEFORE they started filming so they could capture the drivers reaction on video.

I know that most cyclist adhere to the basic rules of the road, and don't create problems. There are always cyclists and drivers that just don't get it as well.

Once again, I can't understand WHY they were videoing their bike ride, unless they knew or expected something would happen (something they instigated before the video was started).

Seems like there are more and more youtube idiots wanting their miniscule 15 minutes of fame, regardless of how they get it or who gets hurt in the process!
Lots of cyclists now wear helmet cams, or mount a camera on their bars, for the exact reason that video shows---to record motorists who #^&#^&#^&#^& with them, and turn them over to the police. Trust me, there are motorists who deliberately screw with cyclists. I had some asswipe in a van brush me with his side mirror in Falmouth. Bad move on his part to do it in a company van with the company name and phone number on the side. I imagine his boss wasn't happy with his employee the next morning after the earful I gave him.

And that's exactly what they did with that video. Apparently, the cops took it seriously, because they cited the driver of the Explorer with multiple offenses, including two misdemeanors.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Backbeach Jake

My son has many many scars from being knocked off the road during his bike messengering days. If those drivers had been filmed , they wouldn't have liked their rewards at all.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
iamskippy

Its all kinds of cyclist, motorized or not. I mean hell lets face it people just dont care today, they got insurance and would rather run a stop sign or red light then wait.

I still stand behind my suggestion of allowing people who have gotten messed with have there revenge for 1 week every quarter, if someone cuts you off you have evry right to push them into a pole. Mouting a 50 cal on the hood is always preferable. Few weeks of this and watch how nice people will drive, especially those that cut you off and then flip you off like you are the A&&
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
spence

It's getting more common for avid cyclists to tape their rides just for the fun of it as well. Something else to tinker with.

Aside from the occasional arsehole motorists are usually pretty good around here, even during the summer.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

The best area for cycling that I've found is SE Mass, from Westport east to the Cape, and north to Carver and Halifax. Quiet roads, and 99.9% of the motorists are courteous. I look at Tiverton/Little Compton/Sakonnet as an extension of SE Mass. The Cape isn't bad in the off-season. Falmouth is usually pretty good. The only place where drivers seem to be a-holes is Mashpee. In summer, of course, with idiots from all over the US and Canada driving with their heads up their ass, I stay off the Cape roads.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Pete_G

Quote:

If you spend a lot of time on the road or have friends that spend a lot of time on the road on a bicycle or motorcycle, it was an entirely worthy story. Unprovoked attacks or harassment, whether it's just an intentionally close pass or some horn mixed in or more are not common, but they aren't uncommon either.

Pulling out a cell phone, calling the PD, or making a video is fairly easy to do, especially for an experienced cyclist who can probably ride no hands with ease. I and many others always have cell phones close and ready to go. I even have a hot key to load up my video program to record some idiocy.

It's an effective way to fight back against this sort of thing and doesn't require engaging the offender in any aggressive way, and since most can tell exactly what you're doing it seems to quickly diffuse a situation, at least in my experience. I don't always record, but I will whip the phone out to look like I am and a news story like this will only strengthen the effect.

It should be noted the driver certainly isn't making any claims that he was provoked - he seems to be taking his well deserved tickets and citations with out any protest.

The effective prosecution in this scenario was well watched in the cycling community. I think we'll see more of it.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
FishermanTim

I probably shouldn't have singled out the cyclist as a sole example, but I will add two points that are relative to me.
I spent quite a few years riding my bicycle from Arlington to downtown Boston asn well as from Hyde Park to Boston.
I did encounter a few idiot drivers in that time as well as idiot cyclists as well. Many of the idiot cyclists happened to be of the "messenger" persuasion.
Now that I drive way more than I cycle, I grant the cyclists the courtesy they deserve, provided they are adhering to the basic rules of the road.
Unfortunately, there are some cycling groups that don't know or don't care about the basic cycling rules, and that is what I was leaning towards.
When you are driving along a two lane or single lane road, and there is a pack of cyclists riding 3-4 across impeding the flow of traffic, who do you think is claiming "foul" when you beep your horn?
When these cycle-cluster pucks CAUSE you to vere into omcoming traffic when they block the road on a blind turn, who gets blamed?
I see quite a few cycling groups in my travels through the burbs' just outside Dedham, and 90% of them know how to ride and are given the respect they are entitled to. It's the other 10% that can cause trouble and are usually the ones that video their events.

I have nothing against cyclists, just against idiots on the road, be it bike, car or truck.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_G View Post
Pulling out a cell phone, calling the PD, or making a video is fairly easy to do, especially for an experienced cyclist who can probably ride no hands with ease. I and many others always have cell phones close and ready to go. I even have a hot key to load up my video program to record some idiocy.

It's an effective way to fight back against this sort of thing and doesn't require engaging the offender in any aggressive way, and since most can tell exactly what you're doing it seems to quickly diffuse a situation, at least in my experience. I don't always record, but I will whip the phone out to look like I am and a news story like this will only strengthen the effect.
I was the passenger of a vehicle and we were almost sideswiped by another car that was trying to weave through traffic and also blasted down the breakdown lane. I pulled out my cell phone and recorded 20 seconds of his dangerous driving while the driver of the car called the State Police. Dispatch gave me an email address and I emailed the video to them straight from my phone along with the plate number.

I can only hope that person ended up walking for a few months.

With many many people owning cell phones that can record video, video evidence is becoming a very strong witness in many cases. It is also the reason why police are so hostile against being recorded, as it requires them to operate completely within the law. If I have to accept Big Brother watching over me, I'm definitely a fan of someone being able to watch Big Brother.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
FishermanTim

Unfortunately you will also have people that only want to make their 15 minutes of fame at the expense of someone else.
How many staged fights have been broadcast, as well as violent protester outbreaks have been "caught on camera" that may have been manipulated for some possible gain?

As with everything in life, moderation is the key!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Unfortunately you will also have people that only want to make their 15 minutes of fame at the expense of someone else.
How many staged fights have been broadcast, as well as violent protester outbreaks have been "caught on camera" that may have been manipulated for some possible gain?
I don't know... have any examples?

Let's also consider the number of people that have been set free due after trumped up charges were later dropped because someone was able to film the incident?

The biggest difference today is that now the average citizen has just as much chance to conduct surveillance on Big Brother and the media.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
FishermanTim

Good point!

Another problem we all probably encounter on a regular basis is somone, ANYONE that thinks they own the road. We all know these types that probably cause more accidents than their parents did (when they had them) and will ALWAYS claim that the other person is at fault.

I hope that I never devolve to that state, as it definitely is a lower form of life!

As for the rest of us just stay safe, keep a clear head and key an eye out for the idiots!!