Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I pose these questions about "Frech" Darters

Of all the information out there about these two lures, the "Montauk Darter", and the Extra Large Montauk Darter", which I would like some information is this:many post about the article that Frech publish state that there are errors in the article that will cause the lure not to work if the lure is made exactly likely Frech wrote. What are these omissions that will cause failure? If so many people know about this misinformation, no one seems to have posted that anywhere.

And, in regard to the extra large darter, the 7 1/4 inch version, does anyone find it perplexing about how far back the weight is placed and the size of the drilled hole for the weight? And much weight should be placed in the hole? 1/2 inch by what?

I have been thinking about doing some of his plugs since I started making my own, and I would like to have as much information as possible. This is selfish and "lazy in a way", not wating to make a bunch of failure first, but what are friends for.

After further research this afternoon, the only reference to an actual omission on Frechs' part while writing his articles about Darters, was that he left out a measurement about one of his lures, not the darter. Unless I hear otherwise I'll go with what I have. Throwing Timber, anything to add?
Thanks Swimmer.......Peace

Last edited by Swimmer; 01-26-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

George would be the guy to ask.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I've not built one of his darters, but I don't think Frech was trying to mislead anyone, he was just sloppy. He does tell you how his darters should float so if the weighting seems wrong you can adjust it). Interesting also that the recent SJ interview with Musso discusses how the Frech darter was the model for what became the Pichney darter.

There are errors in his W-Y popper article (that he corrected in a subsequent article) regarding the size of the weight (which belatedly I discover should be 1/2 x 5/8")

The drawings for the banana article show the rear hook in the wrong position (but the given distance is correct) and the "exact" top profiles are lopsided.

I've recently reread a lot of his stuff and am impressed at how much useful information about fishing plugs is in those articles.

I will also say his method of using sinker eyes epoxied into the plug is brilliant. As long as you epoxy them in before you seal the plug (so the epoxy can penetrate the sides of the hole) it yields a very strong result.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
And, in regard to the extra large darter, the 7 1/4 inch version, does anyone find it perplexing about how far back the weight is placed and the size of the drilled hole for the weight? And much weight should be placed in the hole? 1/2 inch by what?
The article I have describes the weight of the extra large darter as 1/2 x 5/8 in the first paragraph. The fourth paragraph tells you how to adjust the weight after the plug is assembled (but before painting).

The weighting scheme for Frechs darter (and forward hook location) is a direct copy of the early Gibbs layout. Gibbs subsequently moved his hooks back and put his weight ahead of the rear hook. Musso was smart enough to just move the hooks back and skip the weight.
The heavier the tail of the darter the better it casts but the more easily it will roll out. Frech got around this perhaps by keeping the tail of his darter fat (like a sea hag).
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Thank you George. I am going to reread and highlight all the good stuff in those articles.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
blondterror

having built and fished both larger sizes of the Frech darter and the 2oz and 3oz Musso darters .. I say that the Musso designs outfish the Frech by a 2x margin. You results may vary but I rarely fish my Frech reproductions while the Mussos are in my bag whenever I fish at night...

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
pbadad

I di one reproduction from the article a few years ago. Only difference was that I thru wired it. The weight port though large was placed further back than expected. I did swim this plug and found it to swim lazily in side current and needed a sharp rod pull initially to get it to bite. I actually made it for a darter project when I started building. I plan to retest this plug. If I get results i like I will give it another chance.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
spence

Wait, I thought this thread was about French daughters?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Wait, I thought this thread was about French daughters?

-spence
What are you doing in the Plug Forum?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
blondterror

here is a new extra large Montauk darter I just built... made with sinker (brass) eyelets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030874.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	55133  

Blond Terror
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
numbskull

I'll be curious to hear how it swims (I've heard some negatives about them but more rumor than fact)

As an aside, what is the magazine it is on top of?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
blondterror

The Magazine is "Doc" Mullers Surf Fishing Volume 1

Blond Terror