Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Obamacare fix announced any minute?

The news wires are saying that Obama will be speaking any minute, and that he'll be announcing that he's instructing insurance companies to continue selling the 'cancelled' plans.

How does THAT work? It was my understanding that the math absolutely required those healthy youngsters to subsidize those getting extra coverage at a discount? Without all that money flowing into Obamacare, where does the money come from to pay for all the additional benefits?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
spence

It doesn't change the individual mandate.

-spence
Old 11-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
PaulS

I agree it doesn't change the indiv. mandate which is the core of the whole thing. However, those policies were bare-bone policies which didn't cover everything (hosp., maternity). I'm wondering if the lower premium (and thus lower profits to the insur. companies) associated with those policies is something that would cause the ins. companies to want to change the pricing on their other policies.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I agree it doesn't change the indiv. mandate which is the core of the whole thing. However, those policies were bare-bone policies which didn't cover everything (hosp., maternity). I'm wondering if the lower premium (and thus lower profits to the insur. companies) associated with those policies is something that would cause the ins. companies to want to change the pricing on their other policies.
"I agree it doesn't change the indiv. mandate which is the core of the whole thing"

I hear you and Spence on that...I just would have assumed that getting people with bare bones (low premium) policies onto policies that offer all the bells and whistles, was also a critical source of revenue.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
PaulS

I think you're correct. I just don't how big the financial impact will be.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
PaulS

A health insurance trade group on Thursday was quick to warn of dire consquences after President Obama announced his decision allowing insurers to continue to offer health plans with their current terms rather than having to offer new coverage to meet a higher bar set by the Affordable Care Act.

"Changing the rules after health plans have already met the requirements of the law could destabilize the market and result in higher premiums for consumers," Karen Ignagni, president of said America's Health Insurance Plans, said in a written statement released shortly after Obama's announcement.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
buckman

Amazing how we just keep tweaking this law lmfao
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
This administration is the biggest joke in American history !
Even Jimmy Carter must be laughing his ass off.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Amazing how we just keep tweaking this law lmfao
Buck, these are just corrections of the glitches. Heard O speaking
to a group today saying Obamacare will help the 40 million that don't
have insurance. I thought it was 30 million, seems like the #s are growing as fast as his nose.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Fly Rod

It is not fixed and will not be fixed .....just another sham by the dictater....all individual states has a insurance commission ....they have to approve the move....some have already said that they will not.... then the insurers have to send letters to every one that has been dropped...rates have already been set for the coming year and they will more then likely be higher.

Why is the GOP coming out with another fix plan????....let the Dems and liberals sink with the ship.....the Gop should sit back light up a cigar and wait
Old 11-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
buckman

Well I have to say I'm shocked and disappointed that the government managed to screw this up.
I would love to hear the stories about how much the few people who have enrolled have saved... ...Bueller ?Bueller ?
Old 11-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Well I have to say I'm shocked and disappointed that the government managed to screw this up.
I would love to hear the stories about how much the few people who have enrolled have saved... ...Bueller ?Bueller ?
Not "saved" but how much less they got screwed by. There's a subtle difference.

I am a legend in my own mind!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Not "saved" but how much less they got screwed by. There's a subtle difference.
Haven't heard of anyone thanking the Man for that either ....
Have you figured out what your doing with your $2500 He promised yet?? I'm still contemplating how to spend mine
Old 11-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Jim in CT

The 'fix' is also unrealistic, from the perspective of the insurance companies. These companies have been polanning for 3 years to incorporate Obamacare into their business model, and that included cancelling millions of plans.

Obama thinks he can wave his hand, and undo all that, before the end of the year?

no, he doesn't think that.

But he wants someone else to blame. So now, when many of those with cancelled policies (1) can't get their old plans back that quickly, nor (2) can they get a new plan because the website is down, Obama will say "don't blame me, I agreed to un-do the cancellations. If you couldn't get back into your old plan, blame your insurance company.

The insurance companies have to try and clean up this mess, and they will get the blame when that proves impossible.

Classic Obama...
Old 11-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #15
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Obama thinks he can wave his hand, and undo all that, before the end of the year?

Classic Obama...
need to read.............

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ama-mark-steyn

“What we’re also discovering is that insurance is complicated to buy.”

"Gee, thanks for sharing, genius. Maybe you should have thought of that before you governmentalized one-sixth of the economy. By “we,” the president means “I.” Out here in the ruder provinces of his decrepit realm, we “folks” are well aware of how complicated insurance is. "

"On Thursday, he passed a new law at a press conference. George III never did that. The insurance industry had three years to prepare for the introduction of Obamacare. Now the King has given them six weeks to de-introduce Obamacare.

“I wonder if he has the legal authority to do this,” mused former Vermont governor Howard Dean.

But he’s obviously some kind of right-wing wacko. Later that day, anxious to help him out, Congress offered to “pass” a “law” allowing people to keep their health plans. The same president who had unilaterally commanded that people be allowed to keep their health plans indignantly threatened to veto any such law to that effect: It only counts if he does it — geddit?"

"Had I been I informed, I wouldn’t be going out saying, “Boy, this is going to be great.” You know, I’m accused of a lot of things, but I don’t think I’m stupid enough to go around saying, “This is going to be like shopping on Amazon or Travelocity,” a week before the website opens, if I thought that it wasn’t going to work."

"Ooooo-kay. So, if I follow correctly, the smartest president ever is not smart enough to ensure that his website works; he’s not smart enough to inquire of others as to whether his website works; he’s not smart enough to check that his website works before he goes out and tells people what a great website experience they’re in for. But he is smart enough to know that he’s not stupid enough to go around bragging about how well it works if he’d already been informed that it doesn’t work. So he’s smart enough to know that if he’d known what he didn’t know he’d know enough not to let it be known that he knew nothing.

The country’s in the very best of hands."

"Hey, relax: If you like your constitution, you can keep your constitution. Period. And your existing amendments. Well, most of them — except for the junk ones . . . "

— Mark Steyn''
.................................................. ..........
Andy McCarthy-

"Then-senator Barack Obama, himself a hard Leftist and an opportunist (yes, that’s redundant), realized that captivating the party’s Marxist wing — the anti-business, blame-America-first activists — was vital to capturing the nomination. So he duly dispatched his top campaign spokesman to proclaim to the progressive media, “To be clear: Barack will support a filibuster of any bill that includes retroactive immunity for telecommunications companies.”

Of course, you must keep in mind that this is Barack Obama we’re talking about — a.k.a. Barack “If You Like Your Health Insurance Plan You Can Keep Your Insurance Plan, $2,500 Premium Reductions, Obamacare Is Not a Tax, The Video Caused Benghazi, Raising the Debt Ceiling Is Unpatriotic, I Didn’t Know About Fast and Furious Until I Read About It in the Newspapers” Obama. So naturally, after he snagged the nomination and it came time to appeal to the sane part of the country in the general election, he did his usual 180 and supported the FISA overhaul with retroactive immunity for the telecoms.

The purpose here is not to prove, yet again, that Obama is a fraud, which would be like proving that Detroit may be a tad mismanaged.

No, the purpose is to highlight how insouciantly lawless and transparently political the president’s latest Obamacare “fix” is. I refer, of course, to Obama’s magnanimous proclamation that he now deigns to permit insurers to issue policies made illegal by the Obamacare statute — at least until the Democrats can get through the 2014 elections. This was frivolous to the point of malfeasance.

Let’s start with the basics. The president has no power to rewrite statutes — he is bereft of dictatorial power to legitimize what Congress has made a violation of law.

Not only is a president barred from writing or rewriting laws; he is required to enforce them as Congress has written them. The only exception is when he has a good-faith reason to believe they are unconstitutional, a claim Obama can hardly make about Obamacare while crowing that the Supreme Court has upheld it. (Actually, the Supreme Court invalidated half of Obamacare — the state Medicaid mandate — and rejected Obama’s Commerce Clause argument on the individual mandate, upholding it, at least for the time being, on a tax theory that Obama had indignantly disclaimed. But as we’ve seen, this is not a president who lets facts slow him down.)"

"Obama claims a power to enforce laws selectively under the doctrine of “prosecutorial discretion.” This is merely an allocation doctrine, however: a commonsense acknowledgment that finite resources make it impossible to enforce every law equally. An administration, for example, might say, “DEA has finite resources, so we’re going to focus on heroin trafficking rather than marijuana possession.” This does not mean the administration is saying marijuana possession is no longer a crime; just that it has higher enforcement priorities and a limited budget. To the contrary, Obama has distorted the doctrine to claim, in effect, that illegalities he unilaterally chooses not to police are somehow no longer illegal — at least until the “waivers” he grants expire. (I would call the waivers capricious, but there really is a rigor to them — they expire after Election Day to protect Democrats from political accountability.)"

"Obama is a charlatan, but not a stupid one. He knows what he did on Thursday was a legal charade. His “waivers” are no more about law than Obamacare is about delivering quality health care. Thursday was a performance contrived to set the insurance companies up. With Americans boiling over coverage cancellations, Obama publicly called on the insurers to offer policies that he well knows his own law makes illegal and that his “waiver” is powerless to legitimize. He desperately hopes Americans will be gulled into blaming the insurance companies for the catastrophe he has wrought."

Last edited by scottw; 11-16-2013 at 05:16 AM..
Old 11-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

"Hey, relax: If you like your constitution, you can keep your constitution. Period. And your existing amendments. Well, most of them — except for the junk ones . . . "

— Mark Steyn''
"
The Constitution is the greatest document ever written to give people
liberty, freedom and a government that truly serves the people.
Only problem is it's essence depends on the honor and integrity of
the President and Statesmen that oversee it. Enuff said.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
Fly Rod

The white house and his administration was fore warned of the chaos that would happen.

The only video that I had seen was with Obama like everything was going to be okay.

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_n...id=msnhp&pos=2
Old 11-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #18
Jim in CT

That purveyor of deep thought, Oprah Winfrey, told the BBC that people are only giving Obama a hard time because, wait for it.......he's black!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...s-lying-oprah/

According to Mizz Winfrey...

"I think that there’s a level of disrespect for the office that occurs, and that occurs in some cases and maybe even many cases because he’s African-American...There’s no question about that. And it’s the kind of thing that nobody ever says but everybody’s thinking it."

She was actually wrong on both points, because everyone is saying it, and no one is thinking it.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
Jim in CT

A I watched Obama's recent speech, he said something to the effect of "the people who know me, know that I'm smart enough not to tell everyone about the benefit of the website, had I known that the website wasn't working".

In other words, Obama's purpose here, was trying to convince us that he's not the idiot that 55% of us think he is.

Has there ever been a less dignified presidential moment in the last 30 years? All I could think of was that scene from the Godfather, when Fredo is telling his big brother Mike, in a scene that was almost as un-dignified and pathetic, that "I'm not dumb! I'm smart, and I want respect!"

That's our President...Fredo Corleone.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
Raven

Thumbs down his first mistake

was incorporating his name into the title
which literally doomed it to fail

had he named it BetterCare and designed provisions
within the bill that made it so

then people might have given it some real FAITH.......
to work out the kinks

instead it was just plain kinky...and egocentric
Old 11-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
That purveyor of deep thought, Oprah Winfrey, told the BBC that people are only giving Obama a hard time because, wait for it.......he's black!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...s-lying-oprah/

According to Mizz Winfrey...

"I think that there’s a level of disrespect for the office that occurs, and that occurs in some cases and maybe even many cases because he’s African-American...There’s no question about that. And it’s the kind of thing that nobody ever says but everybody’s thinking it."

She was actually wrong on both points, because everyone is saying it, and no one is thinking it.
Interesting, she clearly didn't say it was the only reason, yet that's the way you interpret it.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #22
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Rav, good point and that is why those still drinking the cool aid
are trying to distant the name Obamacare , calling it Affordable Health Care.
That is a misnomer and it should be called the Unaffordable Health Care Plan.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
was incorporating his name into the title
which literally doomed it to fail

had he named it BetterCare and designed provisions
within the bill that made it so

then people might have given it some real FAITH.......
to work out the kinks

instead it was just plain kinky...and egocentric
He didn't name it obamacare.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
Raven

He did nothing to stop it either...
and as for "O"

it's a simple matter of Damage control for "O"
as she was his biggest (richest) Black endorsement
originally... she doesn't want his fall from glory to drag her
out onto the thin Ice with him.... jmho tho