Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
FishermanTim

What kind of message is this sending???

A girl get a call/text from a friend that was at an underage drinking party, asking for a ride home.
The SOBER friend, offering to be a designated driver, goes to pick her up.
When she gets there, the police are there to break up the party.
The DD girl is now lumped in with the drinkers just for being there. She was proven sober by the attending police, but was still held accountable as if she had been drining with the rest.

Now the school steps in.
She was stripped of her team captain rank, suspended for 5 games all because she was going to help a friend.

What this tells me is that the school doesn't want to hear anytyhing. They developed some sort of assinine "ZERO TOLERANCE" policy that has no room for exceptions.
This girl is being punished for doing what an adult would have done.

I guess the school is more comfortable having to explain to the other girls parents (after the fact) how their daughter died from OD'ing on booze, drowned from walking into a marsh in a drunken stupor, or was murdered by a stranger that picked her up on the street, or maybe tried to drive herself home, causing a fatal accident.

Great way to applaud a student that was acting like an adult!
I'm sure that will weigh heavily upon other students that might feel inlcined to help when they might get in trouble. Maybe if a school board member needed emergency assistance, and a student refused because it would go against the school rules, maybe that would also be OK???

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
buckman

Stupid policy over common sense . The policy makers are idiots. Love when the government plays parent.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Nebe

Nice guy always finishes last.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
spence

Zero tolerance isn't ever going to be perfect, but I think schools have tried it the other way.

I'd be curious if she told her parents she was going and they could corroborate I'd think she would get off. Otherwise how can the cops trust her story?
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Zero tolerance isn't ever going to be perfect, but I think schools have tried it the other way.

I'd be curious if she told her parents she was going and they could corroborate I'd think she would get off. Otherwise how can the cops trust her story?
I'm sure this is an MIAA rule .. Stupid...
This girl might have saved some bodies life through her selfless act .
Ill say this Spence... You're consistent
Old 10-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
FishermanTim

NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) – A 17-year-old North Andover High School student was stripped of her captain's position on the volleyball team and suspended for five games after she went to a party to pick up an intoxicated friend, reports The Boston Herald.

Erin Cox received a call from a friend, who was allegedly intoxicated, and asked her to pick her up from a party on Main Street in Boxford. Being a good friend, Erin went to pick her up, but instead met police just as they arrived at the house, the newspaper reports.

Authorities arrested a dozen underage drinkers and warned another 15 underage youth, including Erin Cox, that they would be summoned to court for drinking.

An officer at the scene vouched for Erin Cox's sobriety, but she was still summoned to court, stripped of her captain's position, and suspended.

Geoffrey Bok, the school's attorney, told the newspaper the school is trying to take a stand against teen drinking, which is a "serious problem."

Eleanor Cox, Erin's mother, has hired an attorney is and looking to fight the school's decision.

The cops CONFIRMED her sobriety.

It appears that the school would rather let the drinker pay whatever price heer actions would cost, be it arrest or death, than let a good samaritan help out a friend in need. The school and all those that make up the blanket rules must be held accountable for THEIR action instead!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
spence

The cops confirming her sobriety isn't the point. She likely wasn't supposed to be at the party to begin with, hence my remark about her parents.

I don't doubt her story, and if it holds up she may do well on appeal.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

She "got " there when the cops were already at the address, that does NOT put her "at" the party, it puts her at the address, to pick up her friend and do the right thing.

unreal

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
She "got " there when the cops were already at the address, that does NOT put her "at" the party, it puts her at the address, to pick up her friend and do the right thing.

unreal
No, the story says she was there before the police arrived. They might not have thought she was drinking but they have no evidence she wasnt at the party, which by the book has a penalty.

I agree it's silly but the entire point of zero tolerance is to have very tight rules otherwise they'll quickly get abused. I do think given the evidence she should be given an appeal that she may win.

It's also a call for the school to make a provision for these situations.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

"Being a good friend, Erin went to pick her up, but instead met police just as they arrived at the house, the newspaper reports. "

NO, the article says they arrived at the same time, NOT that she was there before

"which by the book is a penalty" ??? huh?

she will appeal it I'm sure

you must be tired

I understand the zero tolerance,

I also understand the overzealousness, like the college student from Easton who was shot dead by police in PA while picking up a friend, remember that?

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Nebe

If you don't let your kids think for them selves when they are young, they will most likely self destruct when they are shipped off to college. I witnessed this many times.
It's a shame she got thrown under the bus.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #12
buckman

Zero tolerance is the liberal way of making everybody guilty for the actions of a few.
You know you get suspended for a pop tart gun!
It's is easier for them ,they don't have to make a decision based on common sense,.
It's the cowardly way out
Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
buckman

Funny we haven't heard squat about the parents who's house the party was held at. They should be liable .
Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
Sea Dangles

Buckman,did you have a childhood? My 16 year old son has carried on the tradition. Parents go away and a party ensues at that location. If said gathering becomes unruly the blue lights show up. Would you hold the parents liable for the loss of captaincy? What exactly do you think they are liable for? Please don't misunderstand this as any support if the parents allowed underage drinking which I think is a bad idea.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Buckman,did you have a childhood? My 16 year old son has carried on the tradition. Parents go away and a party ensues at that location. If said gathering becomes unruly the blue lights show up. Would you hold the parents liable for the loss of captaincy? What exactly do you think they are liable for? Please don't misunderstand this as any support if the parents allowed underage drinking which I think is a bad idea.
Let me tell you something friend , if I had a party my house when my folks were away,and got caught , the cops would be the least of my problems. Now that being said ,I have raised 2 teens and I was a ball buster about them having friends over and drinking . I tossed more then a few out .
Have a kid die after partying at your house in your absence and see what the law brings you.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
NO, the article says they arrived at the same time, NOT that she was there before
Watch the video. Her own lawyer says she was at the party looking for her friend when the cops arrived.

Looks like they just split the kids into drunk and not so drunk.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:

Always the #^&#^&#^&#^&ing liberal apologist !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Let me tell you something friend , if I had a party my house when my folks were away,and got caught , the cops would be the least of my problems. Now that being said ,I have raised 2 teens and I was a ball buster about them having friends over and drinking . I tossed more then a few out .
Have a kid die after partying at your house in your absence and see what the law brings you.
So did you answer the question Spence, what are they liable for?
Also, did you understand the part where I said I think it is a bad idea? I don't however, parent in fear. My wife and I go out of town on occasion and actually trust our children to make good decisions.There have been bumps and I am certain there are more to come,in these instances parenting becomes a verb.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
So did you answer the question Spence, what are they liable for?
Also, did you understand the part where I said I think it is a bad idea?
Was that question directed at me?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #20
buckman

Quote:
Was that question directed at me?
I think me , but you and I are so much alike this kind of confusion was bound to happen .
Liability?....for just drinking, $500 fine and a misdemeanor
If it results in bodily injury , a class 4 felony.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
I think me , but you and I are so much alike this kind of confusion was bound to happen .
So are you going to answer it?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
Sea Dangles

[QUOTE=buckman;1017655]I think me , but you and I are so much alike this kind of confusion was bound to happen .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE
So you think the parents are liable for the loss of captaincy? OK pal, good luck with that cause. It is just this type of citizen that will disable the country. Good Luck with your pound of flesh. BTW, who got injured here, or is your entire argument based on conjecture?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 10-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #23
spence

Unless it can be shown the parents were complicit in the party or provided booze I'm not sure you'd have much of a case. Throw in a dozen portable beds and some paid talent and you have a hit movie.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
buckman

[QUOTE=Sea Dangles;1017657]
Quote:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE
So you think the parents are liable for the loss of captaincy? OK pal, good luck with that cause. It is just this type of citizen that will disable the country. Good Luck with your pound of flesh. BTW, who got injured here, or is your entire argument based on conjecture?
I think we are on the same side here as far as the girl goes .
I just feel the nieve or irresponsible parents who's house the drinking took place should be held accountable.
I would argue that they are lucky the only injuries occurred weren't bodily.
Ask the parents of that poor girl in Norfolk who stumbled away to die a number of years back, about there liability .
Old 10-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

This is sad.
If the principal has no balls then the volleyball team should have been sick for five games.

Sometimes you have to walk around --stumps.
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #26
Sea Dangles

How would you hold them accountable and from what perspective?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #27
buckman

Quote:
How would you hold them accountable and from what perspective?
That's the odd part. We haven't heard their roll in this so I guess we are all forming hypotheticals .

If they supplied the booze. . Childhood endangerment at a minimum
If they were home and knew there were underaged kids drinking I would fine them and make them stand beside the kids in the police station and get the same treatment they did .
If they weren't home ... Not sure but they are lucky no one got hurt because I'm sure some lawyer would be suing
Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #28
FishermanTim

The parents would be held responsible, regardless of whether they were there or not because it if THEIR HOUSE.

The owner of a club doesn't have to actually be there to bear the responsibilty of an incident at the club.

The story, unfortunately, focuses soley on the girl and not why there were so many underage drinkers there. That should be more of a concern!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

I am glad my kids are almost grown up, 3 out of 5 are over 21. They all drank before they were 21, one way or another. Making a law does not eliminate problems or stupid decisions, kids still do stuff they are not supposed to do. It does make sure that no matter what, I would not allow kids to drink at my house, therefore I am sure that they will do it and there is no possibility that any reasonable adult would supervise them. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?
Here is a life lesson one friend of mine's kid learned. He went to a party at a hunting camp up in the hills(This is VT) A girl went to go to the outhouse in the woods and fell off a cliff. He went to help her, others called the ambulance and split, he stayed with her and waited for the ambulance. As a reward he was cited for underage drinking, paid for counseling, etc. What do you think he learned from that?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #30
Sea Dangles

That was my problem with Buckman's stance from the get go. Sometimes crap happens that results in innocent victims. He wanted the parents held liable without a clue as to the circumstances. Then they became naive and irresponsible; still no clue about the parents!(gut feeling)? IMO this could happen to ANY parents one time,after that,shame on you.I have faith in the majority of the youth I see and this girl just reinforced it. I see designated drivers and a heck of a lot more responsibility shown than in my generation.