Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Texting and driving

I guess for some it's more important than other peoples lives (and their own)

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/3...sb-in-norwood/

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
WESTPORTMAFIA

Did it mention texting?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWPORTMAFIA View Post
Did it mention texting?

No, not sure why news is not reporting it.
Got word from cops.
I work in Norwood.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 05-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Sea Dangles

So a 53 year old texting driver managed to get across the median and kill somebody, that seems more like a drunk driver.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:05 AM   #5
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
So a 53 year old texting driver managed to get across the median and kill somebody, that seems more like a drunk driver.

Since when do the police release a drunk driver, especially after a fatal accident ?
If it were drinking & driving, the guy would be in a Norwood police station cell till monday and then brought to Dedham court.

Last edited by Raider Ronnie; 06-01-2014 at 07:26 AM..

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 06-01-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
iamskippy

Lets see he was driving a 2013 rover, perhaps he was someone important or had a get out of jail free card?

He should get the death penalty...
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Rmarsh

I think texting while driving is almost as bad as driving drunk, not even looking at the road, see it everyday, all over the road with no regard for the safety of others, no excuse. Lot of people going to die from this type of irresponsible behavior. Difficult to enforce the law on this one.

Stopped at a red light the other morning...guy in the lane next to me gets rear ended, I look over at the young lady at fault, she looked so surprised, still had her phone in hand.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
Fly Rod

From what i have read, a person texting at a reasonable speed will travel 100yds. in 4 seconds...so that is the length of a football field without looking at the road
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

I'm still unclear as to how he crossed the median without having a clue. I had someone come across 24 in front of me, no clue how it happened never saw anything.

With google voice, I don't have to even type, it's very good
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

someone at the scene said the drive supposedly dropped his phone, reached down to get it and crossed the median

he's still negligent whatever the case

sad story

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
someone at the scene said the drive supposedly dropped his phone, reached down to get it and crossed the median

he's still negligent whatever the case

sad story

According to the cops we spoke to he was doing 85 in the north high speed lane and texting.
Doing 85 it would take a split second to cross that median once the left front tire catches the outside of the road and he looses control.
Sucks all the way around !
Person in other car dead, others badly injured.
Road shut down on a night this time of year screwing up so many peoples plans (weddings/high school proms ect.....)
(including my daughters entire senior class)

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 06-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Carver today 9:45am, dodge hemi 1/2 ton coming at me just before the Smokehouse Restaurant, me south on 58, him north, straddling the yellow line looking straight down in his lap. Blast horn as he is going by me as I am swerving to the shoulder. He cuts back in his lane and never looks up. Would have called Carver P D but I did that once years ago coming home from fishing at 3 am and the guy on the desk ask me if I got out and checked the problem. Told the wise ass that your #^&#^&#^&#^&ing job. I decided then that Carver P D is GD useless, so I didn't bother with them this morning. Selfish, selfish people who text.

Last edited by Swimmer; 06-02-2014 at 10:43 AM..
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #13
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Carver today 9:45am, dodge hemi 1/2 ton coming at me just before the Smokehouse Restaurant straddling the yellow line looking straight down in his lap. Blast horn as he is going by me as I am swerving to the shoulder. He cuts back in his lane and never looks up. Would have called Carver P D but I did that once years ago coming home from fishing at 3 am and the guy on the desk ask me if I got out and checked the problem. Told the wise ass that your #^&#^&#^&#^&ing job. I decided then that Carver P D is GD useless, so I didn't bother with them this morning. Selfish, selfish people who text.

At about the same time this one happened on rt 95 friday I was driving on 495 near Franklin.
Same thing.
Silver Honda going about 75 in the center lane, I'm behind going about 60 in the right lane.
Next thing I know the silver Honda turns hard left and skids sideways, then car turns hard right and skids hard right sideways, but eventually recovers.
I thought for sure the Honda was going to roll 2 different times..
No doubt the kid driving was texting.
He won that round of Russian Roulette but more likely than not he keeps that up the bullet will be in the chamber one time and his luck will run out killing himself or someone else.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
At about the same time this one happened on rt 95 friday I was driving on 495 near Franklin.
Same thing.
Silver Honda going about 75 in the center lane, I'm behind going about 60 in the right lane.
Next thing I know the silver Honda turns hard left and skids sideways, then car turns hard right and skids hard right sideways, but eventually recovers.
I thought for sure the Honda was going to roll 2 different times..
No doubt the kid driving was texting.
He won that round of Russian Roulette but more likely than not he keeps that up the bullet will be in the chamber one time and his luck will run out killing himself or someone else.
After my 3rd accident as an innocent driver. I switched jobs to avoid that road. I've never seen heading to and from the mass pike during rush hour a more dangerous road
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Since when do the police release a drunk driver, especially after a fatal accident ?
If it were drinking & driving, the guy would be in a Norwood police station cell till monday and then brought to Dedham court.
Your link never mentioned him being released Ronald.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
FishermanTim

Instead of doing the right thing and criminalizing all types of self-initiated distracted driving (texting, reading books, applying makeup, shaving, DUI) our powers that be (useless, that is) have continued to see fit to lessen the legal ramifications for these acts.

How many, really, HOW MANY flippin repeat offenders does it take?
How many DUI arrests will it take before any actions are taken to remove a POS from the road? Apparently we haven't found that "magic number" yet based of our states DUI history.

We must not forget the good ol' "Do you know who I am?" gang either! These worthless piles of monkey excrement are some of the lowest forms of life right next to lawyers and politicians. Maybe that's what fuels the repeat offenders club?

All I can say is that if a member of my family were to be on the receiving end of one of these accidents, the guilty party would have to keep looking over their shoulder as I am not as forgiving as our spineless state!!!

Last edited by FishermanTim; 06-05-2014 at 10:17 AM..

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #17
Raider Ronnie

I was on this stretch of rd today where this happened near exit 11 which is the Norwood Neponset st area.
Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
This stretch of road only a couple of possible open spots a car could cross without hitting Jersey barriers or giant boulders !
Car he hit probably never saw a thing coming.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #18
spence

I'm not sure where you draw the line here. A lot of actions, unlocking your phone, looking at GPS, dialing a number etc… are all just as bad as texting. Even using voice commands or a headset is certainly distracting.

Eating a burrito is pretty distracting, tacos even more so.

Perhaps the emphasis should be on laws that punish the outcome over laws that target specific acts. I do think that focusing on younger drivers who are establishing behavior may be a good thing.

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #19
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I'm not sure where you draw the line here. A lot of actions, unlocking your phone, looking at GPS, dialing a number etc… are all just as bad as texting. Even using voice commands or a headset is certainly distracting.

Eating a burrito is pretty distracting, tacos even more so.

Spence, headsets, earphones, are illegal everywhere, and the need to prove distraction does not exist for wearing them

Perhaps the emphasis should be on laws that punish the outcome over laws that target specific acts. I do think that focusing on younger drivers who are establishing behavior may be a good thing.

-spence

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 06-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Spence, headsets, earphones, are illegal everywhere, and the need to prove distraction does not exist for wearing them
I meant when used with phones…not like wearing a walkman…

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #21
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Instead of doing the right thing and criminalizing all types of self-initiated distracted driving (texting, reading books, applying makeup, shaving, DUI) our powers that be (useless, that is) have continued to see fit to lessen the legal ramifications for these acts.

How many, really, HOW MANY flippin repeat offenders does it take?
How many DUI arrests will it take before any actions are taken to remove a POS from the road? Apparently we haven't found that "magic number" yet based of our states DUI history.

We must not forget the godd ol' "Do you know who I am?" gang either! These worthless piles of monkey excrement are some of the lowest forms of life right next to lawyers and politicians. Maybe that's what fuels the repeat offenders club?

All I can say is that if a member of my family were to be on the receiving end of one of these accidents, the guilty party would have to keep looking over their shoulder as I am not as forgiving as our spineless state!!!
In Massachusetts their is never a repeat offense, because no one is ever found guilty anymore. All former guilty finding with regard to traffic offenses are referred to as responsible or not responsible, and marked down that way. Why, because the next time you come in for the same offense, since you were not guilty the first time the judge wont have to deal with a "second and subsequent" fine. The #^&#^&#^&#^&heads dont mind minding paying the entry level "first time fine" and the judges no that that. Pay the $35.00 and not the $105.00 for third offense and the judge gets money in his account to pay all the hacks working at the courthouse, whose budget is historically under funded. Judges started this years ago with criminal offenses. The finding in their regard is called a "CWOF" or continued with a finding. That way every time a perp comes in on the same charge they dont mind paying the basic fine and not go to jail. Their attorney looks like a hero and the criminal walks out. I have seen certain people in the courts eight and ten times on the same charge, and the finding is always a CWOF with a fifty dollar fine. Its like deja vu all over again everyday in criminal courts all over the commonwealth of Massachusetts. The reason these CWOF's were invented was that in the early 90's so many new hires were sent to courthouses, otherwise known as hacks, the judges had no way from one year to the next to pay for these hires out of the current budgets. So the CWOF program was invented to pay for these people. All fines paid by criminals go directly into the particular courts bank accounts where the criminal appeared and was fined. So if you expect to go to jail and instead are just fined, you'd think one, "my attorney is awesome", and two "the #^&#^&#^&#^&ing judge" is even more awesome. So thats why many times the people who should go to jail in the state never do. Becasue all the hack hires need a paycheck, and what the law-abiding people need just doesn't matter. The CWOF's were not started for any other reason other than what I have stated. Sure our judges are liberal and have difficulty believing anyone is a bad boy or girl. They couldn't refuse to accept the new hires that state reps and senators sent thier to work, then their budgets would be slashed.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman