Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 06-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

30# test is not enough for the ditch

Computers suck going to have to start my rant all over...this may take a minute....

I have had it with people fishing gear that is too light for the canal. Sure you can catch a bass on 30 pound test , hell you can do it with 4 pound test but it isn't right when there are others fishing near you.
I am going to give you 10 minutes to 15 minutes tops to get your fish out of my way unless I can see the gear and the angler are up to the challenge...if it looks like you are using 20# test and light gear than we are going to have a problem, my 60# is coming.
It is fine when there is no crowd but when there is it is just inconsiderate.
I get to a spot I want to fish hours before the spot is good and there usually isn't anyone near me. So if you show up later than me and think I am going to wait long for you to land a fish guess again, my 60# or 80# is going right over your line after a reasonable wait 10-15 minutes

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 06-10-2012 at 02:09 PM..
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
JohnnyD

I've switched a fair amount of gear from 50# to 30# or 40#. Significantly more casting distance this way.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Nebe

30 lb braid is for casting. 60 lb braid is for catching.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Let me just say this----it's the Indian, not the arrow.

30# test is plenty for the Ditch.

10-15 minutes is 5-10 minutes more than I need to land a fish. Even with 30# braid.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

If I take too long for you maybe cuz my fish was foulhooked or like happened to me last week- plug across the mouth with mouth wide open- and you have a problem with that, well that's too bad for you.
I'm sure it's frustrating when people plant themselves next to you when you got up early to get there, it has happened to all of us. Sometimes ya want to changes locations and you don't know how early the person got there. 30 lb is enough for plug caught bass. Jigging requires more in my opinion.

MikeP is correct
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Computers suck going to have to start my rant all over...this may take a minute....

I have had it with people fishing gear that is too light for the canal. Sure you can catch a bass on 30 pound test , hell you can do it with 4 pound test but it isn't right when there are others fishing near you.
I am going to give you 10 minutes to 15 minutes tops to get your fish out of my way unless I can see the gear and the angler are up to the challenge...if it looks like you are using 20# test and light gear than we are going to have a problem, my 60# is coming.
It is fine when there is no crowd but when there is it is just inconsiderate.
I get to a spot I want to fish hours before the spot is good and there usually isn't anyone near me. So if you show up later than me and think I am going to wait long for you to land a fish guess again, my 60# or 80# is going right over your line after a reasonable wait 10-15 minutes
I guess I,m going to sign up for fishen leasons in Easton,ma.so that I can learn the --new way to fish the canal.
Beter yet maybe I should try for the Midol concession stand along the canal . Sounds like we have an influx of little girls. NOT YOU H.F.G.
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GOAT View Post
I guess I,m going to sign up for fishen leasons in Easton,ma.so that I can learn the --new way to fish the canal.
Beter yet maybe I should try for the Midol concession stand along the canal . Sounds like we have an influx of little girls. NOT YOU H.F.G.
I think she's about 6' tall, so the little girl wouldn't apply to her anyway.

That, and probably being one of the most level-headed people online over on that other site.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Saltheart

15 minutes is a long time to land even a big fish. Now I am not going to deliberately cross someones lines cause I'm tired of waiting but to me 15 minutes seems like plenty of time.

Lots of people fish with the gear they have. Not everyone has a pole for every occasion or 3 poles just for the ditch like some of us. To me , if the gear is too light , you are going to lose the fish in 15 minutes by wear or a break off so again 15 minutes seems like a long time.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
15 minutes is a long time to land even a big fish. Now I am not going to deliberately cross someones lines cause I'm tired of waiting but to me 15 minutes seems like plenty of time.

Lots of people fish with the gear they have. Not everyone has a pole for every occasion or 3 poles just for the ditch like some of us. To me , if the gear is too light , you are going to lose the fish in 15 minutes by wear or a break off so again 15 minutes seems like a long time.
I think 5 minutes is plenty of time in most cases. But I also think 5 minutes feels like 15 sometimes when you're fighting a fish or waiting for someone to land one. I've never seen anyone take 15 minutes to land a fish in the canal.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I think 5 minutes is plenty of time in most cases. But I also think 5 minutes feels like 15 sometimes when you're fighting a fish or waiting for someone to land one. I've never seen anyone take 15 minutes to land a fish in the canal.
I agree... 5 minutes Feels like 15 when you have a big Fish on. 30lb for pluging is fine never had a problem.I use 50 for Jigging. I've had hooks bend straight before a break off. Thats why all my Plugs Have VMC.
the point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

I apologize to one and all. Had a bad morning with honey having me --try--to help with the housework.
It's hard for me to be king with a vacuum cleaner in my hand
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
BobT

I'm old so it may take a little time for me to land a fish. 30# for plugging and 40 for jigging. If you're in a rush and cast over me, your line WILL be cut.

Big Daddy-Bob Sr.
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
... 5 minutes Feels like 15 when you have.....
.....to wait for the guy on the side of you to reel in his fish while it's swimming out in front of you....

Get your grump on....

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
.....to wait for the guy on the side of you to reel in his fish while it's swimming out in front of you....

Get your grump on....
Once it's in front of you, he has it under control. That's when I just start fishing again.

I always tell the guys down-current of me when they're good to go.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Hey last week I popped a mid twenties in front of a guy who just dropped one. He was about to cast again and I yelled over, "Sir, could you give me a minute", and he did. I don't think he was pissed. He waited and saw my fish to his right and he cast up and over my line to play the tide, which was perfectly acceptable. Five or ten minutes to play a fish in the ditch, hmmm, I don't agree. If your there second maybe, but when you've been there since 2 a.m. and and someone comes along at 6 a.m. play it how you want. I think everyone fishes differently and n o one here has the right to set a time limit on who does what. Don't like how the next guy is doing it, thier is an answer to that.

You guys are spoiled. If you haven't seen and participated in an albie blitz at Wasque or Edgartown Harbor, the crowd at the canal is nothing.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote