Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-27-2005, 01:00 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Most Over Rated Rock Bands!

I was listening to the radio today and the station I had on played a bit of The Who's Quadraphenia album.....now I have never been a huge Who fan, I like some of their music but I always believed them to be over rated when held up to the bright light of other bands like the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin.....Pete Townsend to me has to be the most over rated guitar player ever......I don't think I have ever heard him play anything other than power chords and would not know a good solo if it fell on him......the stupid windmill gimmick he always had....nothing more than smoke and mirrors along with alot of noise!

I am going to take some heat from Who fans I know so I might as well throw in The Greatful Dead as over rated.....I just never got them.....OK Slip...bring the heat!

What bands do you think were over rated?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:32 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Nirvana....WAY Over-rated.....I think Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are churning out some better music than they did w/ Nirvana.

Not a big Springsteen fan either....Great Song-writer.....but he needs to get someone else to sing.

I'll even agree with you about townsend being just an average Guitarist....But his talent w/ that band was as song-writer. Entwistle and Moon were the musicians of the Who. Moon could work magic on those drums and Entwhistle's Bass playing, Especially on Quadrophenia was Awesome.

And you mention them not being able to compare with a band like the Stones, as far as musicians they are over-rated too. Keith Richards is also an average Guitarist, Charlie Watts is terrible on the Drums, and Bill Wyman is an average bassist, Ron Wood is a decent guitarist but I think his better days were back when he played with The Faces. I don't think they would make it without Mick Jagger's on stage presence.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:22 AM   #3
Raven

Talking you guys.....

should be side by side radio disc Jockey's ...oops too late ,everything has gone digital... that'll be $9.99 please just to listen...
i'd rather buy a guitar or listen to the birds sing or the wind blowing through the tree's before i pay for radio....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:29 AM   #4
redneck24
WTF

Led Zepplin #1 over rated band in the world.

Beatles #2 rolling stones were far better.

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
BigBo

Not sure if I consider him the worst ever, but whenever I hear Steve Miller, it's like someone raking their fingernails accross a blackboard. Just heard some this morning and I have to swicth the channels immediately.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

the dead overated.... ...bite your lip larry you just can't hear them. i'll be sure to have some in my jeep next week! the most overrated band has to be the rolling stones, piss poor musicians imho.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:49 AM   #7
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Interesting question Bigfish......

Beatles...yech

Stones are better if only for the people playing the instruments

U2 a little better but voice has no range

Aerosmith ........controlled screaming...good guitar work

Who.......some pretty good stuff

Zep....everybody listens just to hear the awesome guitar rips

Jimmy Hendrix....can't sing for chit....not bad on guitar

They all had gimicks though. Outrageous behavior that garnered them admiration with the current generation.

Iron Butterfly.....one hit wonder indagadadavida....kida of sucked though...might be the worst I can think of...

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
chris L

the eagles - just cause of the cost of tickets
U2 - hate the music and the politics
the dead - good band but not holier than the rest
these next 3 are just because
the ramones
twisted (&%^$%$ sister
spinal tap
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #9
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

U2 clearly not overrated but hey, that's why each of us have our own opinions and I just added mine. NOW, let's talk underrated, for me the most underrated band is the Black Crowes.

Ice
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Iceman...I will agree with you on that and thats only because they had too much inner strife and they broke up too early...saw them open for ZZ Top and they were great!

Old 12-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #11
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

maybe i was a little too harse on the stones....larry got me all worked up!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 12-27-2005, 05:17 PM   #12
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

Limp Biskit with Fred Durst

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #13
Pete_G

Nirvana definitely was age dependant, I thought. I was a freshman in high school when they first started being noticed, and trust me, they were a BIG deal to a lot of people in that age bracket.

As for the Dead, if you've only listened to studio albums it's perfectly understandable that you don't get it. You have to dig thru the vaults to get to the good stuff. AH, if you ever want really high quality GD, I've got it. My Mom and one of my uncles were tapers and had some shows even the Dead didn't have so I have lots of 1st gen digital stuff that they got through trading.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #14
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_G

As for the Dead, if you've only listened to studio albums it's perfectly understandable that you don't get it. You have to dig thru the vaults to get to the good stuff. AH, if you ever want really high quality GD, I've got it. My Mom and one of my uncles were tapers and had some shows even the Dead didn't have so I have lots of 1st gen digital stuff that they got through trading.
oh yeah be coming down in a week or so..

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 12-29-2005, 09:13 AM   #15
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

The Dead = Most overated group ever.
The Stones a close second.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:33 PM   #16
seabass
umm,the juicy sweets!!!!!

ALL BUT THE CLASH, GREAT MUSICAL GENUIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot.
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #17
janiejones
TB on a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass
ALL BUT THE CLASH, GREAT MUSICAL GENUIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love you SeaBass!!!! My favorite band of all time!

BTW, during my recent excursion to London, I decided to make a 'pilgrimage' to where "London Calling" was conceived and recorded. Call me a nerd, if you will, but as I was walking home ("on the route of the 19 bus"), I saw one single star in the sky. I was positive it was Joe.
janiejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #18
Saltheart

Who's Next!! Great Album

He doesn't like the Greatful Dead? I guess he really DOESN'T get it !!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #19
LeCounts1099

P. Townsend

Anyone who needs convincing that Pete T. of the Who IS a great Guitarist/ musician, here are the cuts to listen to:

--"Pure & Easy," Odds & Sods... --"Naked Eye," same... "Song is Over," Who's Next... "Love, Reign O'er Me," Quadrophenia... "Guitar & Pen," Who by Numbers...

TO name just a few... Enjoy!

Last edited by LeCounts1099; 01-03-2006 at 03:16 PM..
LeCounts1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #20
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
I was listening to the radio today and the station I had on played a bit of The Who's Quadraphenia album.....now I have never been a huge Who fan, I like some of their music but I always believed them to be over rated when held up to the bright light of other bands like the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin.....Pete Townsend to me has to be the most over rated guitar player ever......I don't think I have ever heard him play anything other than power chords and would not know a good solo if it fell on him......the stupid windmill gimmick he always had....nothing more than smoke and mirrors along with alot of noise!

I am going to take some heat from Who fans I know so I might as well throw in The Greatful Dead as over rated.....I just never got them.....OK Slip...bring the heat!

Ditto, oh throw in U2 TO

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:12 PM   #21
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Most over rated

Rolling Stones !!!
They have had some great songs but they should have called it quits 30 years ago !!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #22
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

RIJimmy,
Gotta get you to an Eagles concert, I think you'll come home with a different take. U2 show this summer was one of the worst I've ever been to.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #23
capecodder

Springsteen, hands down. Saw him at teh fleetcenter a couple years back and could not tell when one song stopped and another started. One 3.5 hour song about jersey girls and cars...
capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:38 AM   #24
CANAL RAT
EVERY FISH COUNTS!!

the doors and greatful dead all there songs sound the same

todays schoolie is tomorrows keeper,todays keeper is tomorrows cow,practice catch and release!!!.

GOD BLESS THE NRA!!!!

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!
CANAL RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:15 PM   #25
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Bands

Squibby......Hendrix=guitar god

Allman brothers...no one mention the Allman Brothers

I have to chime in again for the Jimmy Page work on Zeps albums, awesome.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:20 AM   #26
Flaptail

Talking

Quote:

Larry, as a guitar player for the last 40 years I must say that the Who's music is amongst my favorite. Townsends blending of acoustic riffs backed by power chords are thier not for the reasons one might think. True, lots of bands use the power chord as the main body of thier music. Bands in the big hair era like Motley Crue ( who I happen to love) and Ratt etc were no where near the musicians Townsend, Daltrey, Moon and Entwhistle were. The blending of the many tones both acoustic and slung low Les Paul with all knobs on ten were thier to convey the dramatic impact of the song and it's story rather than a 3 knot power chords wall of noise masking the inability and range of some supposed "super Stars". The Who's music is as technical as it comes along with Led Zepplin's. Ever try to keep up with Jimmy Page while playing along? Tough assignment for the best of them.
My fav players were Mick Ronson, Bowie's late lead man who was classically trained, Jeff Beck and PM'S fav, Frank Zappa, really a genuis when you think that he actually WROTE every note played on his albums.

Overated, The grateful dead to be sure, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC-DC and just about all the newer bands.

To be truely great on a guitar you have to be able to capture the emotion of the song, to convey through the notes you play the hurt, joy, emptiness of the piece and make it recognizable as such when you play it.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:42 AM   #27
redneck24
WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail
Larry, as a guitar player for the last 40 years I must say that the Who's music is amongst my favorite. Townsends blending of acoustic riffs backed by power chords are thier not for the reasons one might think. True, lots of bands use the power chord as the main body of thier music. Bands in the big hair era like Motley Crue ( who I happen to love) and Ratt etc were no where near the musicians Townsend, Daltrey, Moon and Entwhistle were. The blending of the many tones both acoustic and slung low Les Paul with all knobs on ten were thier to convey the dramatic impact of the song and it's story rather than a 3 knot power chords wall of noise masking the inability and range of some supposed "super Stars". The Who's music is as technical as it comes along with Led Zepplin's. Ever try to keep up with Jimmy Page while playing along? Tough assignment for the best of them.
My fav players were Mick Ronson, Bowie's late lead man who was classically trained, Jeff Beck and PM'S fav, Frank Zappa, really a genuis when you think that he actually WROTE every note played on his albums.

Overated, The grateful dead to be sure, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC-DC and just about all the newer bands.

To be truely great on a guitar you have to be able to capture the emotion of the song, to convey through the notes you play the hurt, joy, emptiness of the piece and make it recognizable as such when you play it.
as a guitar player for the last 20 years, and avid heavy metal fan, the reason for the power chord being the main structure of the song is not a talent issue, its heavy metal, what you want beautiful melodic chords, no, we want fast grinding loud metal. and as for capturing emotion of a song, i fall asleep when i hear the who, you want emotion, lets talk about dimebag darrell (RIP) i want to rip the steering wheel out of my car everytime i hear one of his songs. kerry king, i get so worked up by his riffs that i want to smash my whole car with a baseball bat! now thats emotion i guess what i am getting at is the fact that metal is not a talent issue, ever tried to play a pantera song? probably not, try it sometime.

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #28
Mugz

I can't say thses bands are overrated.....probably all great musicians but i change the station when they come on.....

U2, Greenday,Pink Floyd, and Aerosmith. WAY OVERPLAYED........liked some songs until they played them A gazillion times and ruined it for me.
Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #29
Slingah

Quote:
Pete Townsend to me has to be the most over rated guitar player ever......
its his style...its music not sports....
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #30
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Slingah...shut up! He sucks! .<period