Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Raven

Fish Farming

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science....ap/index.html

It would be cool if they did this.....on a mass scale.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
Nebe

of course b ush backs it. if they go through with that plan, the oil companies wont have to pay to remove them. But hey, if it works and is profitable, more power too them...

I am always the skeptic
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
MakoMike

What bothers me about the whole thing is that it takes 8 pounds of fish meal (for food) to produce one pound of fish. Now where do you think all that fish meal is going to come from?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Fly Rod

I seen that some where the other day!!!!

Bad plan!!! It has been proven from other fish farming programs that between the fish meal that does not get consumed and the fish droppings that go to the bottom is not healthy for the area!!!! Creates oxygen depleted areas and spreads alot of disease amongest fish!!!! Case in point is the fish farm off of Maine where hundreds of thousands of pounds of salmon have had to be destroyed!!! Farmed raised fish are better off being raised in concrete pins where they can be scrubbed and disinfected from time to time!!!!!

The place in Maine has gone belly up a couple of times, but seems someone comes along and thinks that they can make it work!!!!
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #5
Raven

fish foods

Aquaculture Research Information Sheet: Nutrition Research
One of the main factors limiting the expansion of aquaculture is the development of nutritionally adequate, cost-effective diets. Feed and feeding can contribute up to 70% of total operating costs for fish and prawn farms. The protein source of choice for most aquaculture diets is fishmeal yet this ingredient is only produced in very small quantities in Australia. Global production of fishmeal is static or declining yet demand, especially for aquaculture, is increasing rapidly. This has led to price escalation.

Replacement of fishmeal is a major international research priority. In Australia we have abundant supplies of agricultural proteins, including vegetable and animal meals, and we have been very successful at utilising these ingredients to produce very cheap, cost-effective diets for pigs and poultry. At NSW Fisheries we have now developed high-performance diets without fishmeal for the freshwater native silver perch. Research with snapper is also underway and low fishmeal diets have been successful at a laboratory scale. Collaborative research with other species, eg. barramundi, prawns and salmon has also been successful.

Research is continuing to evaluate and improve alternative ingredients to fishmeal. Some of the most promising ingredients include high protein, low-ash meatmeals, poultry-offal meal, de-hulled lupins and modified wheat gluten products. Oilseeds and other grains are also valuable ingredients. Further processing of some ingredients such as fine grinding and the removal of husks or cooking can increase the use of Australian agricultural ingredients. Defining nutritional requirements is also an important priority. Research in this area on protein requirements at different energy contents has been successfully completed for silver perch and snapper. Work on defining requirements for essential fatty acids has also been completed for silver perch. Requirements must be met for rapid growth and oversupplying essential nutrients is expensive and can increase problems with water quality.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:26 AM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Flyrod; I think part of the reason for using these spots in the open ocean is to eliminate those problems....

MakoMike hit it on the nose... 8lbs of fishmeal = pogies etc..

Bad Idea, support propperly regulated commercial fishing....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #7
Fly Rod

Yes !!! I'm right about you being involved in the farm raised fishing industry!!!

I understand your bitterness when I or other people like, Outfished and Scoobe, go by scientific data and educational programs!!!

I come from a city that was the "NUMBER ONE FISHING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD"!!!!! and "THE OLDEST FISHING PORT IN THIS COUNTRY!!!!

You must be a fish monger, fish broker!!!!! IF you know all about it like you say you do, you must buy fish, shrimp etc: in large quanities and sell it for a couple of pennies more per pound and make plenty of money in doing so!!!

For those that do not know the industry, a fish monger or broker buys thousands of pounds of fish at a time and unloads it for a couple of pennies more per pound making big bucks which I find nothing wrong in making a buck, completely leagal!!!

99% of all Tiger shrimp are farmed raised as is white shrimp!!! If you are not a fish monger, then I would have to say that my daughter who sells millions of pounds of shrimp a day knows more then you!!!

And futher more, when you buy fresh shrimp or good quality IQFs they are not orange, blue ,green or whatever color, they are not injected with a dye, they are whitish gray and turn orange when boiled and or sauteed which is a natural color!!! "YOU MUST SELL AN INFERIOR PRODUCT"!!! And you must deal with super markets where everything is injected or they rub the fish with a light coating of oil to fool the public!!!!

Back to the subject!!! Farmed raised fish "S--KS"!!!! and carries many pollutents!!!!!
Old 04-09-2005, 08:05 AM   #8
Fly Rod

zacs!!!!

One other answer to one of your questions

No I don't take antibiotics not even an aspirin!!!!! Not a pillhead!!!! No wacky tabaky!!!! Don't snort that white stuff !!!! No crack!!!!!!

How about you??????