Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Circlehook
$$

Things Learned

What was the one thing that you learned about fishing for striped bass, that you could not have been taught, that you had to learn for yourself by putting in time.

Was there somthing that you learned that made it just click for you?
Circlehook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

I do quite a bit of eel fishing and always try to get the wind directly at my back for maximum casting distance. Some of the places I fish you simply can't get the eel where it needs to be without a stiff breeze at your back. I call them my "Northeast Wind" spots. They're especially productive during a big blow due to the helping wind which might add as much as 50' to a cast. Not sure whether the fish only show on a NE wind, but countless nights its been good with the helping breeze. Same goes for any strong breeze you can get at your back. Some of the early fall SW blows this last year had us into fish we normally couldn't reach

Lesson leaned= flat water with wind at your back is good, don't believe what you read in the books about needing white water and all that crap to catch fish. I used to boat fish alot on the outer cape and noticed many, many nights the fish would be just out of range for the surf guys unless there was a strong SW wind.Since I got back into 100% surf fishing, I've always employed this principle of using the wind as a catching aid. I actually learned it as a result of my boat fishing experience.

Last edited by Back Beach; 02-13-2009 at 03:00 PM..

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post

Lesson leaned= flat water with wind at your back is good, don't believe what you read in the books about needing white water and all that crap to catch fish. I used to boat fish alot on the outer cape and noticed many, many nights the fish would be just out of range for the surf guys unless there was a strong SW wind..
that is an exaggeration and misrepresentation of facts. I usually don't comment on stuff like that as my pail of Preparation H supply is dwindling but i do resent posts that are misleading. I think white water helps me in a lot of ways but it certainly not the only way to catch fish. If that is true, we'd have a hard time in the fall with winds in our back for weeks at the time

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Zeno

one thing that surprised the hell of me was just how good were 9 inch Tsunami shads in the inlets. I wish I knew this before I wrote what I did but better late then never
Another thing that I learned,even though I have had this feeling about this for years.............even though I had most success with "numbers" when a wind was strong in my face the better fish almost always came on calm conditions and wind in my back.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Clogston29
xxx

sometimes a fast retrieve is better, even at night

you always hear and read stuff like "go a slow as you can, and then go slower"

slow is good most of the time, but in the right conditions, fast can really slay them

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Mr. Krinkle
Covered in Sawdust

Not to horse a big fish with a tight drag. I lost a nice fish on a jetty one night this year because I didn't let it run and tire out, I was so concerened with getting it to the rocks. When the fish turned to go around the other side of the jetty I started to tug on it to turn it back my way and pulled the lure right out of its mouth. My friend looked at me and said "how tight is your friggin drag?" I said to him "I always fish with a tight drag." He simply replied "it just cost you a 40!"
Mr. Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
bart
Red Eye Jedi

one thing i learned is that i'm a lot weirder than most 25 yr olds...
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Another progressive disease.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Another progressive disease.
tell me about it. like i need any other issues
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
bassballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post

My girlfreind tells me the same thing.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
snake slinger
end of the fence guy

the most important thing i learned from puting my time in is you have to put your time in!

boat fish dont count
snake slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
bonefishdick

Things Learned

The one thing I learned from reading all of the posts so far is I really do know a lot about fishing for strippers. ( That was a Joke)

The most important thing I have learned and what I think we all learn someday if we haven't learned it yet is when we think we have it all figured out, the fish prove you wrong time and time again.

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times - " I'M ON - I'M OFF "
bonefishdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
that is an exaggeration and misrepresentation of facts. I usually don't comment on stuff like that as my pail of Preparation H supply is dwindling but i do resent posts that are misleading. I think white water helps me in a lot of ways but it certainly not the only way to catch fish. If that is true, we'd have a hard time in the fall with winds in our back for weeks at the time
Z,

My post wasn't a misrepresentation/misleading. Its what I've experienced from fishing the outer cape,RI, and canal for many years. I fish eels alot and wind at your back is the way to go. An no, you don't need white water by any means, either. In some places its(white water) great to have, like Race Point, but most other places I've fished its just not needed. I stand on my opinion 100%.

Alot of publications/books, etc. imply white water is needed and little heed is paid to fishing the flat water. I know you recently put out a couple books, but I haven't read either of them. My "crap" comment certainly wasn't an admonition of your work, but more a criticism of a thought process people sometimes employ, regardless of where its printed.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
l.i.fish.in.vt

my biggest lesson this year was "loose lips sink ships'' and don't believe any thing you read about fishing.
l.i.fish.in.vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Fishermen in general are dumber than the fish they pursue.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post
Z,

My post wasn't a misrepresentation/misleading. Its what I've experienced from fishing the outer cape,RI, and canal for many years. I fish eels alot and wind at your back is the way to go. An no, you don't need white water by any means, either. In some places its(white water) great to have, like Race Point, but most other places I've fished its just not needed. I stand on my opinion 100%.

Alot of publications/books, etc. imply white water is needed and little heed is paid to fishing the flat water. I know you recently put out a couple books, but I haven't read either of them. My "crap" comment certainly wasn't an admonition of your work, but more a criticism of a thought process people sometimes employ, regardless of where its printed.
If that is the case then I owe you a sincerest apology.I (like an idiot) assumed that you were talking about a white water chapter in my book. Please except my sincerest apologies. I'll even send you both of of my of my books,free of charge if you PM me your address. Sometimes i read into things that I shouldn't and end up with an egg on my face not the first time and probably not the last

Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #17
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:

If that is the case then I owe you a sincerest apology.I (like an idiot) assumed that you were talking about a white water chapter in my book. Please except my sincerest apologies. I'll even send you both of of my of my books,free of charge if you PM me your address. Sometimes i read into things that I shouldn't and end up with an egg on my face not the first time and probably not the last
Z,

Not a problem and no restitution/apology necessary, but I appreciate the gesture. After I read my post a few times its easy to see how it could be misleading. Believe me, no offense was taken on my part. Good, constructive debate is always welcome.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 02-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #18
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
No it's not! It's just Mike's opinion....which he is entitled to.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #19
NIB

I like all wind..Off shore winds can lead to good fishing.It depends on the bait present and the time of the year also.Wind will also effect water temps..There's more to this than most realize..
Hard off shore winds will bring a upwelling here in NJ. That is all the warm water blows off the top.It gets replaced with cooler water from the bottom.This can be good late spring early summer as the temps creep into the High 60's. S-SW will even lower the temps some more.As it pulls water from the deeper regions in my area..Water temps near 58-60 degree's are the catalyst for the big fish blitzes here in NJ.
We'll have the bait for days/weeks and little to no action from the beach.Then the wind turns hard S or SW and all hell will break loose.Warmer water slows their metabolism and they don't need to eat as much.They will sit on the rockpiles off shore and pick.When the temp's get to their optimum range they can't eat enough..
It is my belief that a heavy off shore wind will also pin the bait against the beach.As they can not deal with the unpleasant conditions in the sawtooth on the horizon..Especially your smaller baits like peanuts mullet herring and sand eels.A good day of this and they run out of room and the bass know it.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #20
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I have learned that it sucks to try to micro manage fishing to the point of rocket science.......and its not that there is no merit to it as many of you are great at it.....I just am not! So.....I try my best to pick my spots and hit them when I feel the best opportunity will present itself but mostly.......to have fun. Alot of the time, spot depending, I will go fishing there just because I want to go.....it may not even be the best tide or time but I just want to go wet a line and clear my head! More often than not those times are the best times!

Most importantly I have learned that everyone has their own theories and that nothing is etched in stone as to why, when and where! Also I have learned not to chase yesterdays fishing.....it more often than not does not show up for a repeat performance!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
bonefishdick

The one thing I have learned more than anything else is there has been times when I didn't feel like going fishing because of the weather or other circumstances or thought I should have my head examined for going fishing at a certain time or place only to have some of the best fishing days I can remember.

Now when I don't feel like going or think that I should again have my head examined remember those days when I did go and have been rewarded many many times again.

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times - " I'M ON - I'M OFF "
bonefishdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #22
striperjerk1
Still A Plugger

When i started, it was day fishing strickly. Of course it was the only time i could get out. but since, night time is the right time. lol

Dennis
Retired
striperjerk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #23
DRUMCORPFAN
nightstalker

One thing I learned useing a small wader pouch for my soft plastics is when putting it on in the dark make sure the zipper part is on top and the two rivet drain holes are on the bottom. I've done it so many times what a pain in the butt when your deep wading.

NIGHTSTALKER
DRUMCORPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #24
DRUMCORPFAN
nightstalker

Also the art of fan casting and changing up distance, this was learned while fishing with guys who know what there doing.

NIGHTSTALKER
DRUMCORPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #25
ThomCat

It's better to be lucky than good!

Catch'em up,
ThomCat
ThomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #26
FishermanTim

I learned that the wind CAN be your friend, particularly when fishing the canal during the summer. It can add distance to your cast and, Damn those skeeters!)

I also learned how to differentiate between a bump from the bottom and that of a fish when jigging the canal (much easier with braid).

But most importantly, I learned that fun of this nature should be shared / taught to someone that can appreciate it. My brother, who had limited fishing experiences as an adult, has learned to fully appreciate the experience. It doesn't matter if we get a "keeper" or not, but just to get out and fish. He now knows why I love fishing so much, and now describes me as "my brother, the fisherman". He will even go as far as to explain that I will (and do) fish ALL YEAR ROUND!

I have a sister that is catching on, as well as a few nephews and nieces too!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #27
Ed B

Presentation of a lure at the right position, angle, speed, and depth; and feel for the current. Improvement in these areas will increase the success rate on every gamefish not just stripers and the only way to improve is the same as with everything else, practice, practice and practice. I don't think you can ever really master it, just hope to get better.
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #28
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, Live in CT., but my heart is in SoCo!
Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy z
This whole thing we do, really. One can read all of this stuff, on oll of these forums. But the real learning is getting out there and doing this thing we do.
But the one thing, I know today, is; the very bottom of the tide, I mean when there is just about no current on the ebb, is very productive.

Last edited by jimmy z; 02-14-2009 at 07:22 AM..

Be encouraging, not discouraging

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
jimmy z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #29
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

The nastier the better, I've had my best nights in hurricanes, downpours, wind in my face, rough seas, etc....
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #30
ivanputski
Pete K.

you just can teach someone how to fight a bass through a boulder field at low tide... how much drag to use, how to properly identify the best area to land the fish, and then actually getting the fish in your hands... all while staying on your feet in the pitch black night... you have to experience it all, and learn every bit of it one mistake at a time... oh yeah... AND you actually have to get a large bass on the line first before going through all this...
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote