Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Main Forum StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
jualma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Fall fishing in RI

I am new to the forum and looking to get some tips from the experts. I am planning to head to ri late this month or early oct. Can anyone help me with a good location for that time and some lure selections, live bait hints or anything else that may make my trip a sucess. I have been on a bass charter and did well but am interested in catching and finding these beasts without the help of a captain.

Thank you
jualma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,632
Blog Entries: 1
I think we'll move this to the main forum for more love.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Rob Rockcrawler
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Rob Rockcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sturbridge MA
Posts: 3,008
As for bait you cant go wrong with eels. As for spots, thats a tough one. Id look for rocky points, moving water and white water. Id keep an eye out on the water, you might see some birds working or darker patches of water which are often schools of bait. Good luck, you picked a good time to make a trip rhodie.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
iamskippy
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
iamskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A village some where
Posts: 3,436
fishing is no good in rhodie mass is where the feesh are.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy
iTrader: (0)
 
tattoobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Billerica, Ma.
Posts: 7,132
Asking a Rhode Islander for a spot is like asking them for there first born. your not going to get it

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
iamskippy
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
iamskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A village some where
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoobob View Post
Asking a Rhode Islander for a spot is like asking them for there first born. your not going to get it
HEY! ~ i resemble that remark, lol, Hey bob if you show me yours i will show you mine.

Last edited by iamskippy; 09-16-2010 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Spell check
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 8,344
Blog Entries: 2
God, now that want to know "where to go, what time to go, what lures/bait to use.

Here, wait a minute I'll run right out and catch you a couple of 30s and ice them down for you and you can stop by the house and pick them up. Or, would you rather I deliver them.

What the hell has happened to this Board?????

It's gonna be a goooood year
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
bart
Red Eye Jedi
iTrader: (0)
 
bart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: East Facing
Posts: 4,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
God, now that want to know "where to go, what time to go, what lures/bait to use.

Here, wait a minute I'll run right out and catch you a couple of 30s and ice them down for you and you can stop by the house and pick them up. Or, would you rather I deliver them.

What the hell has happened to this Board?????
give me a break
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
slow eddie
slow eddie
iTrader: (0)
 
slow eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,494
there are ABSOLUTELY no fish in rhody. fish the ditch.

put them back alive. i do have grandkids.
as your hair gets whiter, your gear gets lighter.
slow eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,632
Blog Entries: 1
Find a copy of OTW's Surf Fishing Rhode Island - great for spots

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish
iTrader: (1)
 
RIJIMMY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 8,672
you guys are sounding a little too much like the "other" site.
there is plenty of valuable info you can give.

I'm no expert, but I've fished that area enough years of my life to give you some guidance.
In the fall, the fish are moving. I'd concentrate on the major points in RI - Brenton, Beavertail, Pt Judith, Watch Hill. These areas can be treacherous to fish (think dead) so do your research, go down during the daylight and snoop around. You also have the breachways in south county. Charlestown has the easiest public access. It can be crowded on an outgoing tide and there are unwritten rules on how to fish with others, just observe and you'll get the hang of it. Id HIGHLY reccomend fishing the channels in the breachways versus the ends with teh crowd, on an incoming tide, fish will stack up on the curved, points, holes. I'd do most of my fishing at night with live eels. The daylight bite at dawn can be a blast for smaller fish if the bait is there. I would pack a heacy rod for eel fishing and a lighter rod for schoolie fishing. Small plugs, rubber shads, sluggos are all you need. Stop by one of the local tackle shops, pick up some eels or plugs and ask them for advice. All the hot shots might pretend there are secret spots but the reality is that the fish are here one day and gone tomorrow, move around, scout the water and find the bait. be safe, Im not kidding how dangersous some of these spots can be.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
iamskippy
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
iamskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A village some where
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
you guys are sounding a little too much like the "other" site.
there is plenty of valuable info you can give.

I'm no expert, but I've fished that area enough years of my life to give you some guidance.
In the fall, the fish are moving. I'd concentrate on the major points in RI - Brenton, Beavertail, Pt Judith, Watch Hill. These areas can be treacherous to fish (think dead) so do your research, go down during the daylight and snoop around. You also have the breachways in south county. Charlestown has the easiest public access. It can be crowded on an outgoing tide and there are unwritten rules on how to fish with others, just observe and you'll get the hang of it. Id HIGHLY reccomend fishing the channels in the breachways versus the ends with teh crowd, on an incoming tide, fish will stack up on the curved, points, holes. I'd do most of my fishing at night with live eels. The daylight bite at dawn can be a blast for smaller fish if the bait is there. I would pack a heacy rod for eel fishing and a lighter rod for schoolie fishing. Small plugs, rubber shads, sluggos are all you need. Stop by one of the local tackle shops, pick up some eels or plugs and ask them for advice. All the hot shots might pretend there are secret spots but the reality is that the fish are here one day and gone tomorrow, move around, scout the water and find the bait. be safe, Im not kidding how dangersous some of these spots can be.
NOSA! Man i have been doing it all wrong. Dont listen to him fish the ditch all the fish are there!No feesh in RI
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy
iTrader: (0)
 
The Iceman 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Whoville
Posts: 2,266
One more thing: Korkers are a must in RI. Bring them!
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman 6 View Post
One more thing: Korkers are a must in RI. Bring them!
I just wear studded wading boots. Spikes of some kind are a must, but IMO korkers slow me down.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy
iTrader: (0)
 
tattoobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Billerica, Ma.
Posts: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
but IMO korkers slow me down.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Is that all that slows you down?

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #16
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoobob View Post
Is that all that slows you down?
No. My beer gut does as well
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
iamskippy
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
iamskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A village some where
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
No. My beer gut does as well
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
hahhahahah same here
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
joe the plumber
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Norwich Ct
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jualma View Post
I am new to the forum and looking to get some tips from the experts. I am planning to head to ri late this month or early oct. Can anyone help me with a good location for that time and some lure selections, live bait hints or anything else that may make my trip a sucess. I have been on a bass charter and did well but am interested in catching and finding these beasts without the help of a captain.

Thank you
Just stop in at any bait and tackle shop close to where you will be staying.Ask them these questions and buy a couple of plugs...better yet ask the questions as you cash out.You will get the info you need.Good luck
joe the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com