Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 04-30-2003, 05:12 PM   #1
Stroth

Lamiglas XS10 MHC 2 (Ditch Jigging Rod?)

Hey all:

I've found someone selling this rod used. I'm looking for somethin' to throw at least 5 oz in at the ditch?

Will this rod get it done?

I'll use a 7000c3 or 7000cl (big game).

All thoughts are much appreciated
Stroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 06:48 PM   #2
Saltheart

You mean at most 5 OZ , then yes. If you really mean the least you will throw is 5 OZ , then you want an Allstar 1209

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:21 PM   #3
Stroth

Really at this point what I want is the cheapest/fastest best way to throw jigs in the canal.

I re-built an old blank hoping that it would get the job done, but I just don't think it has the meat to handle the ditch.

I'm a bit of a ditch novice. I know some guys throw obscene weight in the ditch. Right now heaviest I have in my arsenal is five oz.

I'm gonna think about it for a couple more days. If you hear of anyone wanting to get rid of a used jiggin' blank be sure to let me know.

I've read lots of posts on the 1209...people seem to love that rod.

Tightlines,

Matt
Old 04-30-2003, 09:31 PM   #4
jeffsod

The 1209 starts at 4oz and you can go up from there. I think you could just barely feel 3 oz on that rod. The Allstar 1208 is better for the lower jig ranges up to 5oz. but for Guerilla jigging (as I have heard it called) the 1209 fits the bill. I guess you will need to determine what weight jigs you really plan on using in the canal.

I was there tonight putting in a little pratice casting myself.
jeffsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:52 PM   #5
Stroth

I definately see myself NEEDING more than one jigging rod. I'm not that good, but I'm going to put much more time in at it this season.

I've never thrown anything over five oz. The thought of throwing more kind of scares me a little LOL. It freaks me out when that line is peeling off of the reel, the current is ripping at your feet, and you can smell bass in the water.

I think I'll start going up to five and then If I find myself needing more ammo. I'll get another.

Guy wants 175 for the lami used. Mike can get me it brand spankin' new for just a little more dough. I'm gonna keep doing some research and some thinking.

My future wife could not handle another unfinished blank in the house so I've gotta buy this one completed. LOL
Old 05-01-2003, 05:42 AM   #6
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Stroth
Look into the Tica 10' 2pc UEH Rods , They look just like a custom and can easily thro 3-6oz. & cost is only $70
mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote