Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Lower

Maine Moose

Not sure how I've overlooked the sportsman talk thread all these years. Guess I need to get out of that plug building forum once in awhile. Just thought I'd share my first maine moose hunt experience with you guys. My brother-in-law drew the tag and a bunch of us went up for the hunt.

It was a LONG week of hunting. I met up with everyone Sunday (oct 12th) and headed to camp. Perfect little hunting camp up on Nicatous Lake. The surronding area is owned by a paper company. So it's all logging roads and 4 wheeler country. Beautiful setting. THICK woods! We spent all day Monday and Tuesday driving the dirt roads, riding the 4 wheelers around and hiking off the beaten path. Basically trying to find a nice area to hone in on. On tuesday evening we found a great location. Nice clear cut leading down to a bog. Fresh tracks and lots of broken tree limbs. It was a good as spot as any to focus on. Long story short, we sat in that area for the next 3 days. Sun rise to sun set. Some long boring days!

Now I've heard that moose hunting isn't hard. And I have to agree from the aspect of they aren't skiddish like a deer. But finding these critters is NOT easy. Defintily a needle in a hay stack. Those regions up there are big! Anyway our persistance paid off and we got a nice bull Friday morning. 12 point ~795 lbs. We were a tired, but happy camp! What a great time and great expereince.

This is my bro-in-law Peter with his moose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moose.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	29933  
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote