Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
stripermaineiac

Tail hook thoughts

During Plugfest I noticed a large number of plug makers that were putting tags instead of hooks on the tails of their swimers. I mentioned this to a few of the other hardcores that i know and fish as much as I do.We pretty much agreed that while this may make some plugs swim a bit better it will deffinitely make hooking a fish that hits the tail of the plug impossible.
From my own experience with Atom P-40,dannys, Jr's,Darters and some oddball lures I've had a great many hook-ups on the tail hooks,both hooks and the center hooks. More times than not on the center but many times just one hook or the other.Included was a 53lb 11 oz on the tail hook of a large Danny and a 51lb 6oz on an Atom Jr on the tail hook and center hook ,which pulled as the fish rolled in the last wave and only the tail hook held. I would have never landed either fish without the tail hooks being in place.
My thought is that instead of going with out the tail hooks to make the plug swim better why not change the weight recipe of tinker with the design a bit so as the plug swims as it should with the tail hook.
Better than missing a nice fish due to the lack of a hook where one should be. I'm throwing this out there for discussion as it might be something to look at. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote