Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Diggin Jiggin

messing around w/ spooks.

It's been awfully quite in here so I thought I'd post some spook prototypes I made to try next year. I made 3 different sizes to match up with 3 different rods. I used a couple different weighting schemes, hopefully there's a winner in there somewhere.

Large ones are made of 2" white cedar and are around 3.5 oz. Medium ones are ayc and just under 3 oz.
Small ones are basswood and around 2 1/4 oz.

The small pink mac was a disappointment. I tried using a sharpie to do the mack lines as I didn't have a mack stencil that small. It came out like crap so I painted it white and started all over. Made a stencil and repainted it & it looked great. Then when I epoxied it, the sharpie bled thru...

I had some trouble with the sys 3 clearcoat. usually I have good luck with that, but it seemed like it was setting up really fast when I was applying it. Almost like it was getting a film on it before I'd even finish a plug. I remember some guys had problems with it last year, I'll have to try a search and see if I can find what the problem was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0872.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	44325   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0873.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	44326   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0874.jpg
Views:	303