Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Obama did not have much to do with this. The global economy is slowing down and the Saudis are crushing Russia, VZ, and to a lessor extent, US production.

Obama doesn't have a rational plan on the world stage. And this certainly does not have anything to do with it.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 AM   #2
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Obama did not have much to do with this. The global economy is slowing down and the Saudis are crushing Russia, VZ, and to a lessor extent, US production.

Obama doesn't have a rational plan on the world stage. And this certainly does not have anything to do with it.
Many of the factors were out of our hands (global economy, younger folks not as inclined to drive and are moving back to urban areas where they use mass transit). However Pres. Obama has increased the CAFE standards (over the objections of the Repubs.). I'm using less gas bc of the higher milage my car is getting. Had the Pres. not pushed for the higher standards, pushing the car manuf. to increase the average miles/gal. we'd be using more gas. In addition, didn't he get some of the gas guzzlers off the road 6 years ago and wasn't there money for getting old appliances replaced and improving home energy efficiency?

What policies did he propose that have hurt fracking? I don't know of any that either helped or hurt fracking.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Many of the factors were out of our hands (global economy, younger folks not as inclined to drive and are moving back to urban areas where they use mass transit). However Pres. Obama has increased the CAFE standards (over the objections of the Repubs.). I'm using less gas bc of the higher milage my car is getting. Had the Pres. not pushed for the higher standards, pushing the car manuf. to increase the average miles/gal. we'd be using more gas. In addition, didn't he get some of the gas guzzlers off the road 6 years ago?

What policies did he propose that have hurt fracking? I don't know of any that either helped or hurt fracking.

I'm pretty confident in saying that there is no single American who uses more "oil" than O....he may have pushed for all of these things and not "hurt" fracking........

this explains a lot

NY Times : " President Obama has strongly endorsed the new(fracking) production as a boon to the economy and energy security. And the president, under intense criticism of his energy policies from Republicans and oil industry officials as he faces a re-election contest, has recently taken steps to ease government regulation of oil operations."

but none of the vehicles he drives in or flies on adhere to any of these standards and he certainly hasn't curtailed and of his own travel....pretty amusing when you think of it....

classic...

A squadron of 1,700 private jets are rumbling into Davos, Switzerland, this week to discuss global warming and other issues as the annual World Economic Forum gets underway.

The influx of private jets is so great, the Swiss Armed Forces has been forced to open up a military air base for the first time ever to absorb all the super rich flying their private jets into the event, reports Newsweek.

“Decision-makers meeting in Davos must focus on ways to reduce climate risk while building more efficient, cleaner, and lower-carbon economies,” former Mexican president Felipe Calderon told USA Today.

Davos, which has become a playground of sorts for the global elite, is expected to feature at least 40 heads of state and 2,500 top business executives. Former Vice President-turned-carbon billionaire Al Gore and rapper Pharrell Williams will be there as well; each plans to discuss global warming and recycling respectively.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Had the Pres. not pushed for the higher standards, pushing the car manuf. to increase the average miles/gal. we'd be using more gas. In addition, didn't he get some of the gas guzzlers off the road 6 years ago and wasn't there money for getting old appliances replaced and improving home energy efficiency?

"Had the Pres. not pushed for the higher standards, pushing the car manuf. to increase the average miles/gal. we'd be using more gas."

Talking about what he did back in 2009? Increasing mpg by 5% a year until 2016? yes, that cannot fail to reduce demand. I haven't heard many people speculate that this is causing the drop in gas prices, but there's no way to prove it.

"What policies did he propose that have hurt fracking? "

I don' think he did anyhting to hurt it, because he didn't have the authority to. He, and the Democrats in general, have done much to limit the exploitation of oil and NG on federal lands. Do you really deny that?
Old 01-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Had the Pres. not pushed for the higher standards, pushing the car manuf. to increase the average miles/gal. we'd be using more gas."

Talking about what he did back in 2009? Increasing mpg by 5% a year until 2016? Yes, the higher standards kick in over timeyes, that cannot fail to reduce demand. I haven't heard many people speculate that this is causing the drop in gas prices, but there's no way to prove it.Prob. not a large amount.

"What policies did he propose that have hurt fracking? "

I don' think he did anyhting to hurt it, because he didn't have the authority to. He, and the Democrats in general, have done much to limit the exploitation of oil and NG on federal lands. Do you really deny that?
Yes, agreed.

Anything any Pres does or doesn't do really only has a limited impact on gas prices. Demand from China prob. has the biggest impact on incr. prices from a few years ago and the current decr. prices.

Last edited by PaulS; 01-21-2015 at 08:58 AM..