Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Nebe

let’s also not forget the incredible moral issue with buying a dozen eels to catch and release a few bass. The eels will all die.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
let’s also not forget the incredible moral issue with buying a dozen eels to catch and release a few bass. The eels will all die.
The eels in the tackle shop will all die regardless of whether they are bought or not. Except perhaps for a few that are bought by fishermen who don't use them and let them go.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
The eels in the tackle shop will all die regardless of whether they are bought or not. Except perhaps for a few that are bought by fishermen who don't use them and let them go.
Again... What are you smoking?

Sure, the eels that are currently in the tank will die, but if less eels are used, the tackle shop will re order less eels and less eels will die.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
DZ

I use eels - always have (although not as much in recent seasons) - probably always will unless they are protected.

What I find very interesting is the "all hands on deck" approach by the recreational fishing community to protect the menhaden and that species is not even close to being declared "depleted". Of course the real reason many want to protect the menhaden is because they make catching striped bass infinitely easier.

Yet the lowly eel is screaming for protection but we only focus on the elver, with little support from that same recreational community - why? Because eels make catching striped bass easier

We are a strange lot.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
I use eels - always have (although not as much in recent seasons) - probably always will unless they are protected.

Yet the lowly eel is screaming for protection but we only focus on the elver, with little support from that same recreational community - why? Because eels make catching striped bass easier

We are a strange lot.
DZ- my thought is that tens of thousands of miniature eels are scooped up out of the population every Spring, and that's starts the domino effect of having fewer and fewer eels to get bigger..... I'm not completely opposed to restrictions on taking eels in the later stages of life, but I think the greatest damage gets done by the wanton removal of the tiniest ones
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
DZ- my thought is that tens of thousands of miniature eels are scooped up out of the population every Spring, and that's starts the domino effect of having fewer and fewer eels to get bigger..... I'm not completely opposed to restrictions on taking eels in the later stages of life, but I think the greatest damage gets done by the wanton removal of the tiniest ones
The "tiniest ones" are the least likely to make it to spawning age.

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 10-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
bobber

yeah- especially if you've been scooped up in a net and sold to Japan
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
MakoMike

Quote:
Again... What are you smoking?

Sure, the eels that are currently in the tank will die, but if less eels are used, the tackle shop will re order less eels and less eels will die.
Nothing right now, I ran out of the stuff I bought in Colorado last winter.

No they won't, if the tackle shops order less eels the remainder will be sold for food. No commercial eel fishermen is going to release their catch. The only way that would happen is of the price fell through the floor, unlikely given the current state of the population and the demand.

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 10-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
bassballer

Quote:
Maybe i'm helping the eel population and didnt know it. i usually buy a dozen and end up letting 6 go.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote