Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"you use the word liberalism as a universal cause to everything"

Not remotely true. I agree with liberals on gay marriage and the death penalty. I'm no thoughtless zombie. But in terms of economics, liberalism has almost a 100% failure rate in this country. I don't say that because I happen to like it. I say it, because it's true.

"the past 63 years since 1952 40 of those years republicans held the white house

the other 23 years the Dems "

Many things wrong with that statement. First, "republican" doesn't always mean "conservative". Hell, Bill Clinton was a Democrats who implemented VERY conservative economic principles, and it worked spectacularly well. also, the legislature is where the action is, they write laws and craft budgets. Not the executive. Not usually, anyway...executive orders are changing that a bit.

"whos in denial??? "

You.

"republican" doesn't always mean "conservative". Wow thats your defense ... the Rino argument your to funny
Old 01-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
scottw

FedEx announced wage increases, employee bonuses and pension funding on Friday, citing the new Republican-backed tax-reform plan.

The company announced that two-thirds of $200 million in increased compensation will go to hourly employees, while the remainder will be put toward performance-based incentive plans for salaried employees.

FedEx also said $1.5 billion will be put toward the company's pension plan and another $1.5 billion would go toward expanding the company's hub in Indianapolis.

"FedEx believes the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act will likely increase [gross domestic product] and investment in the United States," the company said on its website.

Home Depot said on Thursday it would be giving a $1,000 bonus to employees who have worked at Home Depot at least 20 years, according to CNBC.

Starbucks announced new raises for its employees on Wednesday, while JPMorgan Chase and Disney said on Tuesday they would give their employees raises and bonuses as a result of tax reform.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/37...mid-tax-reform
Old 01-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
FedEx announced wage increases, employee bonuses and pension funding on Friday, citing the new Republican-backed tax-reform plan.

The company announced that two-thirds of $200 million in increased compensation will go to hourly employees, while the remainder will be put toward performance-based incentive plans for salaried employees.

FedEx also said $1.5 billion will be put toward the company's pension plan and another $1.5 billion would go toward expanding the company's hub in Indianapolis.

"FedEx believes the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act will likely increase [gross domestic product] and investment in the United States," the company said on its website.

Home Depot said on Thursday it would be giving a $1,000 bonus to employees who have worked at Home Depot at least 20 years, according to CNBC.

Starbucks announced new raises for its employees on Wednesday, while JPMorgan Chase and Disney said on Tuesday they would give their employees raises and bonuses as a result of tax reform.

Oh stop it, everyone knows this is only helping the super rich.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
wdmso

Quote:

Its a 1 time dog and pony show .. a pr stunt to look as if they are giving back , and not funneling all the money back to share holder's and to praise dear leader .... was in Walmart today only 4 check out lines open ... looks like they toldeveryone they increased the pay but failed to say they cut the hours
Old 01-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Its a 1 time dog and pony show .. a pr stunt to look as if they are giving back , and not funneling all the money back to share holder's and to praise dear leader .... was in Walmart today only 4 check out lines open ... looks like they toldeveryone they increased the pay but failed to say they cut the hours
"Its a 1 time dog and pony show "

Apple announced 20,000 new jobs, and a tax payment of $38 billion. Comcast (who own MSNBC) announced $50 billion in infrastructure spending. dog and pony show?

Obama didn't do anything to do more for these folks in 8 years.

"and not funneling all the money back to share holder's" Also good for the economy.

"and to praise dear leader "

Again, Comcast, who signs Rachael Maddow's paycheck, is spending $50 billion to make Trump look good. This is what you are saying?
Old 01-27-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
scottw

Reuters JANUARY 22, 2018 / 9:17 AM / 5 DAYS AGO

IMF raises global growth forecast, sees Trump tax boost

Noah Barkin, Dmitry Zhdannikov

DAVOS, Switzerland (Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund on Monday revised up its forecast for world economic growth in 2018 and 2019, saying sweeping U.S. tax cuts were likely to boost investment in the world’s largest economy and help its main trading partners.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Reuters JANUARY 22, 2018 / 9:17 AM / 5 DAYS AGO

IMF raises global growth forecast, sees Trump tax boost

Noah Barkin, Dmitry Zhdannikov

DAVOS, Switzerland (Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund on Monday revised up its forecast for world economic growth in 2018 and 2019, saying sweeping U.S. tax cuts were likely to boost investment in the world’s largest economy and help its main trading partners.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

They’re just saying that to prop up Trump.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
spence

Quote:

They’re just saying that to prop up Trump.
Even the most liberal analysis shows short-term growth. The question will be how inflation, rising interest rates, rising health care costs, increased federal deficits and disproportionate benefits of the tax cuts impact the economy long-term. Here most analysis show weak if any gains. As Nebe articulated, Main Street is in a delicate position to absorb these hits.

Hell, I need to refi my house and the rates have already climbed enough just the past few months (because of the tax plan) to pretty much negate any potential tax savings I may get.

Additionally, do you know how much positive corporate investment and job growth happened since the recession which if announced today you'd be wetting your pants over?
Old 01-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
wdmso

Quote:
"Its a 1 time dog and pony show "

Apple announced 20,000 new jobs, and a tax payment of $38 billion. Comcast (who own MSNBC) announced $50 billion in infrastructure spending. dog and pony show?

Obama didn't do anything to do more for these folks in 8 years.

"and not funneling all the money back to share holder's" Also good for the economy.

"and to praise dear leader "

Again, Comcast, who signs Rachael Maddow's paycheck, is spending $50 billion to make Trump look good. This is what you are saying?

yes ... what a better way to pay a political bribe to give out money that was given to you at zero cost...

we will see how generous Comcast Verzion and the like are when is contract negotiations time .. with their new found wealth I am waiting till February to see my pay stub
Old 01-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
.... was in Walmart today only 4 check out lines open ... looks like they toldeveryone they increased the pay but failed to say they cut the hours
Show of hands, who here has ever, excluding Christmas, seen more than 4 checkout lines open at Walmart at a time?

That's business as usual there.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #11
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Show of hands, who here has ever, excluding Christmas, seen more than 4 checkout lines open at Walmart at a time?

That's business as usual there.
saw the same at Stop & Shop.....weird...I think you'll see it a lot more with self check out
Old 01-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
"republican" doesn't always mean "conservative". Wow thats your defense ... the Rino argument your to funny
it's not my defense, it's fact. In terms of economic policy, Bill Clinton was conservative.

Truth is, I'm not funny, I am hysterical. But this is still fact.