Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"It took about 2 years after Reagan's second tax cut on the wealthy until start of a recession and about 2 1/2 for Bush 2."

And you provided exactly zero evidence that the tax cuts caused the recession. Maybe they helped delay the recession, maybe it made the recession less bad. I don't know. Neither do you. Obama also cut taxes, maybe those will be the cause of the next recession?

"Also, you asked why, I gave you investor concerns"

An article written by someone that neither of us has ever heard of.

I've never actually heard, until now, that high GDP growth was bad. If your pay or net worth increases, that's a bad sign?
What I see, are people who are so desperate to make this guy look bad, that if he says "two and two are four", you'd disagree.
You see what you want to see. I am starting to waste time with you again so forgive when I stop responding. Obama also cut payroll taxes and slightly raised the top marginal income tax rates. Clinton raised it too. In both cases they were followed by steady long term economic growth. I specifically referred to top rates. KO3blpb gets a wait and see at best from me based on the reality of how this worked in the past, not a reach around like you want to give him.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
You see what you want to see. I am starting to waste time with you again so forgive when I stop responding. Obama also cut payroll taxes and slightly raised the top marginal income tax rates. Clinton raised it too. In both cases they were followed by steady long term economic growth. I specifically referred to top rates. KO3blpb gets a wait and see at best from me based on the reality of how this worked in the past, not a reach around like you want to give him.
yes, clinton and obama’s tax cuts were followed by growth. how do you know, how could you know, that trumps cuts won’t also be followed by growth? the answer, is because you are the one who sees what he wants to see, and with trump in charge, what you want to see us trump failure. we may go into a recession tomorrow, we might grow for five more years . you don’t know. but you’re assuming we won’t.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I know GDP Growth is Good for the economy

1) but is it sustainable ? and down side
Sustainable over decades? Hopefully. Sustainable quarter to quarter? No.

Obama stated 2% growth was probably the new normal and we should get used to it. He hit 3% one or two quarters IIRC. GDP growth averaged 3.6% from WW2 to the Great Recession. Some years were very high some were lean. Be nice to get back on the high 3s rather than the low 2s.

Quote:
2) how does it help people like us on this site (outside investments we may or may not have ) Seeing wages are stale interest rates are up and deficits are all time High and the threat of inflation always around the corner
Interest rates have been artificially low for a decade - they should have gone up (hate that thought) previously. Wayne - on the outside if the economy is slow people are not working - think of 2008-2011 how bad it was.

Quote:
4) what is Tax Revenue % is in the 4.1 GDP
A lot more than if GDP was 3, or 2

Quote:
I prefer the The Tortoise and the Hare: or something in the middle when it comes to the economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post

I am not sure why you think you know what I want. I am hardly liberal. I am moderate.
Then how are you and I both moderates ; ) ?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Obama stated 2% growth was probably the new normal and we should get used to it. He hit 3% one or two quarters IIRC.
Under Obama we hit over 4 several times and one quarter over 5.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

Then how are you and I both moderates ; ) ?
Based on your posts, it seems to me you have shifted more and more right over the last decade. You are anti Obama and his policies, particularly economy, were mostly moderate. I would have pegged you as more tea party than moderate. Socially I am liberal or libertarian in that I don't want people like Jim deciding what is right for other people or the correct family values. Pretty sure it is moderate to think we need border control, but not a billions of dollars ineffective wall. It is moderate to believe the people coming are generally good people in terrible situations and not the b.s. that they are rapists, murders, etc. Ya know, pretty much the same things Reagan believed. I think tax cuts are best focused on the middle class and that payroll tax cuts are particularly helpful. Top tax rates shouldn't be 90 or 70 percent, but cutting top tax rates, which were relatively low, during a strong economy is not necessarily smart policy. And yes I am liberal orelated to fishing in that I have been angry for 12 years at the rate people kill big fish because it is stupid and harmful and generally done to stroke the egos of the insecure.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
yes, clinton and obama’s tax cuts were followed by growth. how do you know, how could you know, that trumps cuts won’t also be followed by growth? the answer, is because you are the one who sees what he wants to see,
Steady long term economic growth is what I said. How do I know Trump's won't be? I don't but his tax bill was not the type that typically followed by sustained growth. I said wait and see. How could I see the results when it has only been a few months? I shouldn't have used the cocaine analogy with you, it should have been lsd since you seem to be hallucinating and see things that haven't happened yet.