Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The "wall" is not the same thing as a door or a lock. The wall is the same thing as a wall around my house. In the 17th century I'd put a moat around my house. In the 18th century I'd put a wall around my house. In the 19th century, I'd put a piece of wood across the inside of my door. In the 20th century, I'd put a lock on my door. In the 21th century I'd put an electronic lock on the front door with camera on it so I can see who is there and I'd have cameras hanging off the roof focusing on my property to see if anyone was approaching it.

Walls still have a place in defense but they may not be appropriate (or needed) everywhere. No single solution works for every instance. And that is why there are walls in some spots along the border and not in all spots and why people have supported walls on the border in the past for some sections and don't support putting a wall along the full border.

"In the 21th century I'd put an electronic lock on the front door with camera on it so I can see who is there and I'd have cameras hanging off the roof focusing on my property to see if anyone was approaching it."

Almost all of us still use metal locks. But whatever. Just as a door isn't the same as a wall, your house doesn't have 2,000 miles of lateral frontage with which one can enter. You need to secure a much smaller linear area in your house, much easier to do with electronic surveillance.

Paul, if your young children slept in a guest house which was 10 miles away from the house in which you slept, would you be satisfied with electronic locks and cameras to alert you if a murderer was sneaking into their room? No. Because by the time you got there, it would be too late. Right? You'd have guards and a barrier. Right?

On a 2,000 mile border, drones and cameras might be effective at telling us that people are crossing, and where. I'm not sure I see how it helps us stop them, unless they all happen to cross within 100 yards of where the nearest border security personnel are. A camera might allow us to get a better count of how many are coming in, how does it help us prevent them from coming in, on a 2,000 mile border?

That's a sincere question. Not trying to be a wise azz.

Don't we already use drones and cameras?