Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-09-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
Headhunter

Maybe you should just be allowed to keep a fish 28" to 34" over 48" and or 50 lbs (you would have to carry a Boga If you are trophy hunting) It would be made clear that the fish must weigh 50 or more pounds at any point it is in your possession, that eliminates "It was 50 when I caught it" scenario. It makes the holy grail of fishing attainable and protects the other 99.9% of breeders that are 15 to 49 pounds. Keeps tournaments alive and makes the charter captains happy. Personally I believe boats should not be allowed a trophy fish because it is rather easy to break 50 from a boat, no disrespect intended to anyone. From the surf it is an entirely different scenario, even at the canal. People will find a way to mount a 50 if they stick it and want to keep it. Maybe make the boat limit 60lbs and that would even things up with the shore guys somewhat.

Last edited by Headhunter; 02-09-2020 at 07:49 AM..
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Maybe you should just be allowed to keep a fish 28" to 34" over 48" and or 50 lbs (you would have to carry a Boga If you are trophy hunting) It would be made clear that the fish must weigh 50 or more pounds at any point it is in your possession, that eliminates "It was 50 when I caught it" scenario. It makes the holy grail of fishing attainable and protects the other 99.9% of breeders that are 15 to 49 pounds. Keeps tournaments alive and makes the charter captains happy. Personally I believe boats should not be allowed a trophy fish because it is rather easy to break 50 from a boat, no disrespect intended to anyone. From the surf it is an entirely different scenario, even at the canal. People will find a way to mount a 50 if they stick it and want to keep it. Maybe make the boat limit 60lbs and that would even things up with the shore guys somewhat.
Just makes too much sense...….

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
Clammer

hEADHunter /WTF are you trying to put me back in treatment ………………… 50# rather easy by boat

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
hEADHunter /WTF are you trying to put me back in treatment ………………… 50# rather easy by boat
It's simple mike... you know that. Remember all those 50's we've caught!!!

WTF
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

If one really thinks about why the Derby committee eliminated striped bass as an eligible species, it might not sound as honorable as some (myself initially) were making it out to be. It was already known prior to last week's ASMFC meeting that MA did not submit any conservation equivalency measures which meant going into Tuesday's meeting they only had one option: 28 - >35 slot. Did the Derby committee "do the right thing" by eliminating striped bass or did they make an announcement that was almost inevitable being that no one will be able to keep a fish over 35 inches in Massachusetts beginning this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Maybe you should just be allowed to keep a fish 28" to 34" over 48" and or 50 lbs (you would have to carry a Boga If you are trophy hunting)
I had a conversation with one of the ASMFC reps and asked about a trophy tag. Essentially there are two problems with such an option. First off, by giving a trophy tag, which would result in additional harvest, you need to make it up elsewhere meaning a smaller slot range, for example. Second, calculating how much harvest would need to be reduced elsewhere with the tag is very difficult. Supposedly it was discussed between the reps but was quickly shot down.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
If one really thinks about why the Derby committee eliminated striped bass as an eligible species, it might not sound as honorable as some (myself initially) were making it out to be. It was already known prior to last week's ASMFC meeting that MA did not submit any conservation equivalency measures which meant going into Tuesday's meeting they only had one option: 28 - >35 slot. Did the Derby committee "do the right thing" by eliminating striped bass or did they make an announcement that was almost inevitable being that no one will be able to keep a fish over 35 inches in Massachusetts beginning this year...
My initial thought was that their hand was forced.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote