Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
if the goal is always to eliminate deaths, we’d eliminate the automobile. think how many lives that would save. but we don’t do that. there’s a reason why.

is sweden conservative? is that what you’re suggesting?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
and there is a difference from getting killed in an auto vs getting a virus at Walmart that could be prevented
Old 08-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

vs getting a virus at Walmart that could be prevented
you can catch a lotta stuff at Walmart....
Old 08-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you can catch a lotta stuff at Walmart....
Teen pregnancy is at epidemic proportions there.

Don’t drink the water

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
and there is a difference from getting killed in an auto vs getting a virus at Walmart that could be prevented
auto deaths can be eliminated. but we don’t do it. we accept tens of thousands of deaths a year on the roads, as a cost of having a quality of life. true or false?
Old 08-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
PaulS

Quote:
auto deaths can be eliminated. but we don’t do it. we accept tens of thousands of deaths a year on the roads, as a cost of having a quality of life. true or false?
We do, but there are rules in place to try to limit the deaths - something many states did not do. And if a city tried to limit the deaths by imposing restrictions the Repub. govern. all tried to prevent them bc I guess they don't like local control - hypocrites.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
We do, but there are rules in place to try to limit the deaths - something many states did not do. And if a city tried to limit the deaths by imposing restrictions the Repub. govern. all tried to prevent them bc I guess they don't like local control - hypocrites.
you are desperately trying to split hairs. there are rules, but they are very very non invasive. you’re going to compare speed limits, with the spring shutdown? similarly invasive?

Anything at all, to avoid saying “you make a good point.”

speed limits and no school, are equally intrusive according to you.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
PaulS

Quote:
you are desperately trying to split hairs. there are rules, but they are very very non invasive. you’re going to compare speed limits, with the spring shutdown? similarly invasive?

Anything at all, to avoid saying “you make a good point.”

speed limits and no school, are equally intrusive according to you.
How about wearing a mask?

And the states that had shutdowns and slowly opened were decreasing until the virus started to come back from the other states. You're the one brought up driving a car (which we use to take my dad to his Drs. appts). my wearing a mask is pretty noninvasive.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #8
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump continues to believe he knows best medically, so it’s an emergency order to approve without the usual testing for plasma treatments, which most experts agree “may” help some. He is also it appears going to take the same approach on vaccines, so I suggest the entire GOP get in line to get those injections, so they can show us all that rely on science and proven methods to vet a vaccine what the side affects might be.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
How about wearing a mask?

And the states that had shutdowns and slowly opened were decreasing until the virus started to come back from the other states. You're the one brought up driving a car (which we use to take my dad to his Drs. appts). my wearing a mask is pretty noninvasive.
I wear a mask, and can't believe people make a stink about it. Similarly, I can't believe you'd deny the parallel between accepting deaths from car accidents (we don't ban cars) and accepting deaths from disease (no school, closing bars, restaurants, churches, etc)

All large social gatherings, except BLM protests and the VMA awards, are banned it seems. It's absurd that you'd equate our societal shutdown, with having to obey speed limits. As I said, anything to avoid admitting your side might have flawed logic.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #10
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
I wear a mask, and can't believe people make a stink about it. Similarly, I can't believe you'd deny the parallel between accepting deaths from car accidents (we don't ban cars) and accepting deaths from disease (no school, closing bars, restaurants, churches, etc)

All large social gatherings, except BLM protests and the VMA awards, are banned it seems. It's absurd that you'd equate our societal shutdown, with having to obey speed limits. As I said, anything to avoid admitting your side might have flawed logic.
Are you seriously trying to suggest because we don’t ban cars to prevent less than 40,000 deaths yearly, that we shouldn’t have closed down like we did? That’s an argument you could never win. First those 40K car deaths aren’t all due to cars, many are due to alcohol, animal strikes or just driver fatigue. We will I’m sure surpass 200,000 deaths soon and that’s WITH a partial to full (depending on local government) shut down, I can’t even imagine the death toll if we hadn’t shut down. If you are making the case that the old, the medically vulnerable, or the brave first responders should have been sacrificed so the economy didn’t crash, Trump would in the back of his self centered pea brain probably wish that were the track they took.