Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 05-28-2002, 09:11 AM   #1
OliverNBPT

Need help planning a trip to Cuttyhunk...

and need suggestions from anyone who has been. Specifically.... are there places to stay, can you reserve moorings/dock space at the island and how? does the island have gas? where to fish/tactics? Any other suggestions that might make the weekend more enjoyable would be greatly appreciated.

Also, while on the subject, are there places to camp for future reference?

Thanks.
OliverNBPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 11:09 AM   #2
Mr. Sandman

are there places to stay:
yes see http://www.cuttyhunk.com/ and http://www.cuttyhunkfishingclub.com/

can you reserve moorings/dock space :
There are moorings I think they are $25/night. See the dockmaster. You can anchor in the outer harbor but if it blows NE you have a problem. I would rec stay in the inner harbor. Lots of sail boats make a stop there.

does the island have gas? They did when I was there.

where to fish/tactics? The place is a bass meca. Head to any rip and submerge some live bait OR troll around the place until you catch your limit. You should not have a problem. Head to Pigs/Sows for a sure thing.
When boat fishing close to shore: WARNING: WATCH OUT FOR ROCKS. This place is land-mined like few others and currents can be very strong here.

Any other suggestions : BYOBooze and BYOBait. There is no real tackle store to speak of and the place is dry. That said, it is a big fishing and drinking island....go figure.

Camping: I don't think so unless your on private property and have the owners permission there is no campground.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 02:41 PM   #3
OliverNBPT

Thanks for the heads up on the lack of bait and booz, I'll stock up beforehand - - it sounds like it may also make sense to have a chart handy.

Oliver
Old 05-28-2002, 02:53 PM   #4
GBOUTDOORS

Send a message via AIM to GBOUTDOORS
As Sandman said there is no camping on the island only on your own land. There are a few marinas that can put you up but call ahead by a few weeks to be sure you get a spot.

Frog pond Marine
508-992-7530
vhf ch 72
morrings outside of the pond

Cuttyhunk Marine
slips/gas/diesel
508-999-3880
vhf ch 9
inside the pond

Town wharf/Cuttyhunk
slips/moorings
508-990-7578
vhf ch 9
inside the pond

If you go to Maptech server on line you can pull up all the charts for the island and see that it is not hard to find a fishy looking area anywhere on the island. There are restrooms at the town wharf that are open 24/7 two small stores and I think two small restaurants on the island but anything you buy will cost twice what it would on the mainland!!!!! Call before you go to be sure you will be able to get gas on the island as I went out last fall and they did not have any at the time luckily I had enough to get back to Fairhaven anyway. When are you planning on going?? Only time I would not recomend to be on the island is the fourth of July it is very busy that week and it is not the same with alot of people on the island. Good luck and good fishing to ya.
GBOUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 03:22 PM   #5
OliverNBPT

I'm planning on going out the weekend of June 7th & 8th provided I can get a slip/mooring and a place to stay. I'm hoping that it is early enough in the season and therefore reservations won't be an issue.

That said, I occasionally get to keep my boat in Sakonnet Harbor and would ideally like to get out to the island a few times this season if at all possible. Do you get out there much? If so, maybe we can connect at some point

Thanks for the info - very helpful.

Oliver
Old 05-28-2002, 08:06 PM   #6
nor-easter
Old Timer

How big a boat do you have?
Are you going on a week-end or during the week?
I own a piling way up opposite the Fishermans Wharf,
Piling # 13. Capt. Charles Tilton will be around to collect the rental
fee around five in the evening or early the next day.

I am not trying to keep you away but I would not recommend a trip to Sow and Pigs unless it is full day light, and fairly calm. Go and check the area over so you can see for yourself the rocky area.
There are rocks out there that come clear of the water, two miles from the beach. You would not expect to find the number of boulders that are in that area.
Good Luck, enjoy your stay and come again!

Capt. Chet
nor-easter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 08:06 PM   #7
GBOUTDOORS

OliverNBTP we have a house on the island that I plan on using at least once a week this season. Was on my way out there tonight for a few hours for the first time this year but got tied up at work oh well maybe Wed. night. We also have a mooring pole in the harbor but I did not get a chance to check it out last fall which was the first time I have been back to the island in 18yrs. Asa the harbormaster told me he thought it was still in good shape but if not he would get a new pole in for us. What size and make boat are you fishing??? I will be going out some night this week and if the pole is in good shape and you wish to use it that weekend you may. It is all the way in the harbor near the town wharf but it does get low water on full moon. I will let you know.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:14 AM   #8
OliverNBPT

Nor-Easter: Thanks for the offer and advice. I will be sure to go out on a calm, bright day as I do not know the area at all and have heard that it can be quite difficult to navigate. Also, my boat is only 18' and would get bounced around a little if it weren't calm.

I'm planning on heading out on a weekend but may take a weeks vacation on the island at some point this summer. If you or anyone on the board knows of anyone who would rent for a week or even a few days I would be extremely appreciative, possibly even room in a guest house or similiar situation. (I know they do that often on Block Island, not sure about Cuttyhunk)

GBOUTDOORS: I own a 18' Tripp Angler, CC. Not sure if your familiar but it is a semi-custom boat made out of Westport PT, MA - - a tad on the small side but a great boat and very well built.

Also, if you are ever looking for company, and we are on the island at the same time, let me know. I would be more than happy to take you out on my boat, pay for gas, bait, etc.. in exchange for your knowledge of the area.

What type of boat do you guys own?
Old 05-29-2002, 02:36 PM   #9
GBOUTDOORS

OliverNBPT I know the Tripp Angler very well and for its size it makes a great cc. I have a seaswirl 18.5 cc that I just love and have taken to Cuttyhunk with no trouble at all. Chet is right you do not want to be at the sow and pigs on anything but a good day till you know the waters. It is a great place to fish but not the only spot around the island that holds good fish. The south shore can be good from the old barges all the way to the west end and sow+pigs. Do you have a vhf on board and if so what call name and ch are you on most?
Old 05-29-2002, 07:15 PM   #10
nor-easter
Old Timer

Contact the Cuttyhunk Fishing Club and ask for Bonnie Veeder. She books Houses for the Ponzecci's who own a LOT OF HOUSES on the Island. She may have some weekly rentals left.
Pete's Place Cottages has weekly rentals as does Low Taylor and maybe Skanks. I think these are all on the Internet, search Cuttyhunk Island. The Cuttyhunk Alert 11 site used to have a link to Island rentals. Good Luck

Capt. Chet
nor-easter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 02:40 PM   #11
OliverNBPT

GBOUTDOOR: Will go by the call name 'Jenny B' but in the past haven't used the VHF much. That said, I caught a glimpse of another post which members were debating which channel(s) to monitor. I will probably wait for the outcome of that thread and monitor that channel. How about you?

Also, briefly saw that a number of members are planning a trip to Cuttyhunk in the near future but didn't see a specific date - - depending upon time and other commitments I may try to schedule my visit that weekend. That is of course if you have room for one more and I can get accomodations, etc... But possibly.

Nor-easter: Thanks, I'll give Bonnie a call and let you know how I make out.