Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Favorite Threads

Favorite Threads Some of S-B's Favorite Threadsa over the years

Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
redcrbbr
here fishy fishy

Send a message via ICQ to redcrbbr Send a message via AIM to redcrbbr Send a message via Yahoo to redcrbbr
I did have one question for you though... have you seen or heard about anyone actually taking a fall??

redcrbbr
of all the things i've lost...i miss my mind the most!!

redcrbbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
Tailor marc
Aussie fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrbbr View Post
I did have one question for you though... have you seen or heard about anyone actually taking a fall??
Yes , im not sure if it was a rumor but the person who told me is a gunuine bloke.

There is a location called False entrance only a hour away and can be just as good fishing but not as much room to fish and there is a ledge below. Its about the same hight as steep point and apparently he fell while gaffing and smashed into the ledge below then got washed in, he then swam back onto the ledge where he layed waiting for help.

It took about 3 hours of laying there with broken ribs and lots of fractures without any morphine because the nearest helicopter is at a town called Dehnem * see map of sharkbay i posted a few posts above*.
It took that long because there was no phone coverage at false or
steep point and after the long drive to the rangers etc.

I have seen people jumping from steep points lower cliffs on a 46 degrie day but you wouldnt catch me doing that.

There has been people die up at the point over there years but i dont know the storys
Tailor marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Stax
SteepPoint.com.au

A few years ago, a large group, know as “the scroungers” visited Steep Point with there normal group of 15 people. They stay for about 8-10 days. They arrived at Steep Point and set up camp near the Ovens. There prized possession for this trip was the 75 cartons of beer that they had brought with them. That’s 1800 cans of beer. One whole trailer carried just beer, wine and spirits. 100 cans had already been drunk on the trip up.
Anyway on the 3rd or 4th day, late into the evening, it was totally dark, one of the fisherman caught a large Mullaway. Whilst trying to gaff this fish the gaff-man, who was not in good shape having consumed a large amount of the beer, fell in. All hell broke loose. Being a large group helped at this point as many torches shone over the cliffs edge keeping the gaff-man in sight. Many ropes were thrown at the floundering gaff-man and eventually he was able to grab one. Being slightly more sober now than only a few minutes earlier he was able to secure the rope around himself. We 14 people now slowly hauling the hapless gaff-man up the cliff face it would still have been a scary place to be, both for the gaff-man in complete darkness and his 14 mates panicking about their mate’s safety. As the gaff-man made his way to the cliffs edge, about 30 feet above the water, he was only able to extend one hand to his now hero mates. Over the edge he came, totally bewildered as to what all the fuss was about. His group of mates were looking at the drowned gaff-man there was total quite. The gaff-man still had the large Mullaway under his arm. He had not let it go and for some reason was not at all shaken up.
The following day the gaff-man realized what had happened the night before and was a bit of a recluse for the rest of this trip.

This is probably the best of the worst tales from Steep Point; however there are I believe two deaths directly related to Steep Point over a very long period of time.

These cliffs are dangerous for the careless fisherman, or drunken fisherman, but with a little bit of care and constant attention you should be OK. Most people do have some sort of a recovery plan to get someone out of the water, but it is not an easy task.

Stax
Stax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Stax
SteepPoint.com.au

This is the track going in. There is about 35 miles of track like this, most of it is easy in a modern 4x4.

Now this is a Shark! 40 feet long...

And a Manta Ray with 15 foot wing span

Stax
Stax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Jenn

Hmm... a great fishing spot complete with toilet? this girl is THERE....

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
Tailor marc
Aussie fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Hmm... a great fishing spot complete with toilet? this girl is THERE....

Hi Jen, yep there is a toilet there now. It was put there only about a few years back.

Years ago everyone used to take a walk up onto the hill pictured below and it would be a funny site while fishing the cliff and looking back to the hill and seeing people "snapping one %$%$%$%$ up on the hill haha.

That toilet on the hill has the best scenery than any other toilet in the world lol

Its still a rough spot o go for a week for most girls. Iv only ever seen a couple of girls over the years there because of the heat and no showers etc. You can take a wash down the beach and use salt water soap etc to refreash

I took my Ex up there and she loved it until the last couple days and couldnt wait to get home to have a shower and get back to the normal life
Old 12-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Stax,except for the two guys who got killed, that's a funny story.

!800 cans of beer for 15 people.

Great that you can live the kind of fishing you do while most of us can just dream about it.

Thanks for sharing all this.

BTW- good to have you guys as our Allies over the years.

Last edited by justplugit; 12-13-2006 at 07:28 PM..

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
eastendlu

One thing i'm going to do before i'm in the ground is going to fish down under at steep point.Thanks and i'll bring some beer too.
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
Tailor marc
Aussie fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post

BTW- good to have you guys as our Allies over the years.

Australia will allways be there to lend a hand to you blokes when you need it