Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
buckman

I was never that strong in math but if you make 2.7mill. and you add 700K in taxes to 35% that you now pay it adds up to a hell of a lot more then .5% I think the chart as a whole is B.S. I also don't trust Obama on any tax promises. We get suckered in by the lowering the tax pledge every election, by both parties.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I was never that strong in math but if you make 2.7mill. and you add 700K in taxes to 35% that you now pay it adds up to a hell of a lot more then .5%
It's an average for all people above $2.7 mill. So that includes the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and oil executives of America that made more in the time it took me to write this than I will over the whole year. So the average increase for all people over $2.7mil is $700k per taxpayer in that bracket.

Quote:
I think the chart as a whole is B.S. I also don't trust Obama on any tax promises. We get suckered in by the lowering the tax pledge every election, by both parties.
I agree with you 100%. People running for president and congressmen Dems and Repubs alike, they all promise lower taxes, improved trade deficit and a budget closer to balanced. I'll make sure to not hold my breath.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Joe

You see a person with EBT card or somebody in your apartment building getting subsidized rent, and it's easy, "That lazy freeloader - they're the problem with this country."
But are the poor really what's wrong with the country?
Think about it. The poor have no power. They can't manipulate markets or events. What do they have to do with the global financial crisis or the staggering rise in the cost of oil over the last several years?
Maybe the people don't hate the lazy freeloaders as much as they used to because the EBT cards and subsidized rents never seemed to have the same impact as unchecked greed is having now.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
fishbones

[QUOTE=Joe;621511]
Think about it. The poor have no power. They can't manipulate markets or events. What do they have to do with the global financial crisis or the staggering rise in the cost of oil over the last several years?
QUOTE]

Joe, you make a good point, but the poor people do have quite a bit of power. They can go to the polls and vote. Or, they can work hard to improve their situation and better themselves and their families.

As for manipulating markets and events, or the price of oil, how many people really do have the means to affect those things? I know I certainly don't have much of an effect on the financial markets or oil. But, I do contribute a good amount of my pay to taxes to support people who are less fortunate (or a lot lazier)than me.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
You see a person with EBT card or somebody in your apartment building getting subsidized rent, and it's easy, "That lazy freeloader - they're the problem with this country."
Maybe the people don't hate the lazy freeloaders as much as they used to because the EBT cards and subsidized rents never seemed to have the same impact as unchecked greed is having now.

The poor are the largest voting block in the entire country. And who do you think they vote for? He who give away the most. They are pandered too (used) and treated in a very condescending manner by the party they contually vote for and keep in office.

By the way my sister has one of those health cards and she works full-time. Her husband did too until recently. I think what you pay is pro-rated based on income.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 09-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
The poor are the largest voting block in the entire country. And who do you think they vote for? He who give away the most. They are pandered too (used) and treated in a very condescending manner by the party they contually vote for and keep in office.

By the way my sister has one of those health cards and she works full-time. Her husband did too until recently. I think what you pay is pro-rated based on income.
Wait a minute here. Are you saying that John Kerry doesn't really care for or relate to all of the downtrodden and poor people who he represents? I find that hard to believe.