Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You'll still be able to get that SUV or truck, it's just going to cost you a premium to pull the boat. It is a luxury item anyway is it not?

-spence
not sure if you shop around at all, but dont i already pay a premium? Compare a pathfinder to a sentra, a 4 runner to a camry. tens of thousands more. supply/demand should drive what I pay, not the government. didnt you post you have an audi? sounds like a luxury item to me, a yugo will be just fine for you comrade.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
not sure if you shop around at all, but dont i already pay a premium? Compare a pathfinder to a sentra, a 4 runner to a camry. tens of thousands more. supply/demand should drive what I pay, not the government. didnt you post you have an audi? sounds like a luxury item to me, a yugo will be just fine for you comrade.
Hasn't that freedom from supply/demand simply drained trillions in wealth from the US to enrich the Gulf States?

Sounds like more efficient cars would be a good thing.

-spence
Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Hasn't that freedom from supply/demand simply drained trillions in wealth from the US to enrich the Gulf States?

Sounds like more efficient cars would be a good thing.

-spence
im not arguing against more efficient cars. My point is that in order to be successful, they need to be the type of cars americans want to drive. I've seen hybrid yukons and other big trucks, so we can do it. Im SURE THE JAPANESE can and will do it. Will the american car compansies continue to produce duds that no one wants to buy. but they'll be fuel efficient? Success will be dtermined by fuel efficinency and market need

Old 05-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Jimmy, the OBOTS will never understand... To make this thing work there needs to be some incentive on the demand side, you just can't heap the responsiblility onto the producers.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 05-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Jimmy, the OBOTS will never understand... To make this thing work there needs to be some incentive on the demand side, you just can't heap the responsiblility onto the producers.
Paying 25% less in fuel costs isn't an incentive?

A tax benefit provided by many states for people buying a hybrid is not an incentive?

Did the large increase in demand for hybrids coincidentally coincide exactly with a massive increase in gas prices, and then demand decrease as prices at the pump decreased?

Let's not forget that while we may not see $4 at the pump this summer, when inflation skyrockets over the next year or two and the price of oil climbs ridiculously again, $5/gallon will become a very real possibility.

Seems like you're the one that doesn't understand.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Paying 25% less in fuel costs isn't an incentive?

A tax benefit provided by many states for people buying a hybrid is not an incentive?

Did the large increase in demand for hybrids coincidentally coincide exactly with a massive increase in gas prices, and then demand decrease as prices at the pump decreased?

Let's not forget that while we may not see $4 at the pump this summer, when inflation skyrockets over the next year or two and the price of oil climbs ridiculously again, $5/gallon will become a very real possibility.

Seems like you're the one that doesn't understand.
Johnny, are you saying that the government should try to bully people into buying cars they don't want because of tax incentives? If the car companies made a car I liked in a hybrid, I'd consider it. But at this point, there isn't a hybrid that suits my wants/needs.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 05-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Johnny, are you saying that the government should try to bully people into buying cars they don't want because of tax incentives? If the car companies made a car I liked in a hybrid, I'd consider it. But at this point, there isn't a hybrid that suits my wants/needs.
exactly! I bought an SUV in the middle of the highest gas prices. Why? I need it! I can't lug all my fishing gear, 4 bikes, cooler, etc in a mini cooper. Sure some bought SUVs becasue the were popular, but many need them for their lifestyle. Lets make fuel efficent powerful vehicles.

now really piss me off by telling me I need to change my lifestyle...........

Old 05-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Bully people? What planet have you been living on the past 30 years?

Your lifestyle isn't a product of freedom, it's a product of industry marketing.

-spence
Old 05-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
I'm not saying that at all. First of all, American cars suck. Period. There is nothing on the market right now that suits my needs, is comfortable, has good performance and above average gas mileage - all while still being affordable. I asked my mechanic what type of cars he suggests to people looking to buy new, and he said "Toyota, Nissan or Honda" so people that repair the vehicles see this as well. Thus why I own a Japanese car.

I fail to see how providing a tax incentive to help the consumer more quickly recoup the added costs of a hybrid can be considered "bullying people".

With your logic, the government is bullying people to put solar panels on their homes because there is a tax rebate offered when you install solar power.

The government must also be bullying people to have children, due to the added tax write-offs for each child someone has.