Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 07-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #31
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
1 thing you dont do.. run into the biggest portugese bar in fall river while the world cup is on and yell Viva la France.. You'll start a huge bar brawl..

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #32
Vermonter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
On that I'd agree

Rumor has it he called him a "dirty terrorist"

-spence
Yeah thats ESPN sportscenter was surmising tonight also. I have trouble believing that this is the first time an opponent or fan has taunted him for being a terrorist, given the passion/hysteria soccer causes in Europe. Given his background/ethnicity, I'd say he's heard similar taunts before.
Vermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:08 AM   #33
Clogston29
xxx

Whatever the insult or actions the Italians and Materazzi in particular used they got the reaction that they wanted (Materazzi claims that he made a comment about Zindane's wife and that he does not even know what a terrorist is). If Zidane had it to do over I'm sure he would have waited until after the game and then laid Materazzi out and flipped off the FIFA brass on the way off the field but he reacted to the moment. To play at that level (he may very well be the best player to come along in several generations) requires so much intensity and a personality that is a little off (look a Maradon - he's wacked). Just look at some of the greatest players ever and alot of them were always right on the edge of control. My favorite player, Eric Cantona, drop kicked a fan for a racial insult as an extreme example. Zidane is not a thug. He's an emotional player who got pushed over the edge. Razor Neil Ruddock is an example of a thug, and and entertaining one at that.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #34
spence

It's getting more clear now...

I didn't realize Zidane was the son of Algerian immigrants...

So the story goes his opponent called him "the son of a terrorist whore" before telling him to "go f'off for good measure".

Doesn't justify his actions, but in all honesty I'd think a lot of people would have done worse

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #35
Clogston29
xxx

I read an article that he spent his first year of club soccer in France on kitchen duty due to fights with teamates over racial remarks. Its obviously something that he's dealt with his whole life. And when you look at it, chances are that that game was going to penalties with or without Zidane and the result most likely would have been the same. Actually, he got kind of lucky on his earlier PK or there may have never been overtime.

Also, Bartez didn't deserve to win one World Cup, having him go down as a two time winner would not be fair to any other keeper who has two. Watching him play, I don't know how he ever got the status that he had a few years ago as one of the best in the world.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 07-11-2006, 09:58 AM   #36
Surfcastinglife

http://www.ggzidane.com/gallery/zidane.gif
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #37
spence

Well, the US commentators certainly didn't give him any props...you'd get nervous every time he'd touch the ball.

But to say he doesn't deserve to win two is a bit of a stretch. It's a team sport after all...

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #38
Clogston29
xxx

He was terrible with Man. U which is what I base my statements on because I saw alot more of him there than for France. I believe that they ended up releasing him after a while when Tim Howard beat him out for the starting spot. There was a contraversy over who the keeper would be in the French camp leading up to this Cup and, if I remember right, the goal keeper coach and a friend of Bartez chose him as the starter, not the head coach. The other keeper, who most of the fans and the head coach were in favor of, quit because he refused to be a backup to Bartez.