Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Mixed? MIXED?!
Dude, she might as well come out and say "eff fisherman and eff polar bears."
That's what I hear too. Rape, pillage the environment as an interim step to weaning us off of black gold
Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Mixed? MIXED?!
Likwid.
I was trying NOT to scare Jim away.
Mixed is generous. I know she pushed against the Polar bears, and the Mine issue you raised,
But I'll stick with it for now, at least until I know more,.

I just want to know how she appeals to independents. It is a pretty powerful statement that she is the direction you want America going!!!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

She has no record to stand on. It's a sham
Old 09-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
fliiiiiiiiiip

flop?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
hmahady

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I just want to know how she appeals to independents. It is a pretty powerful statement that she is the direction you want America going!!!

I agree. All I took out of last night was a sharp veer to the right,
(so much for the disgruntled Clinton vote), little discussion of the issues, juvenile commentary and drill drill drill.

Howard

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. --Bill Hicks
Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
fishbones

Quote:
Mixed? MIXED?!
What do we need polar bears for, anyways?

I wasn't too enthralled with the choice of Palin going into the RNC, but she did a great job with her speech. But, she's a politician. And like McCain, Obama and Biden, she's trying to appeal to a broad base with her speeches.

Most of you guys in here are intelligent enough to know what these candidates stand for and which ways they lean on issues, but most of the general public is competely ignorant on the issues.

Some people will vote for Obama because he's a minority candidate or because he's a good looking, polished speaker.

Others will vote for McCain because he's a war hero who served his country and was a P.O.W.

Palin is going to garner votes for McCain because she is a woman and they won't have a clue as to where she stands on important issues.

It's too bad that more voters don't inform themselves and get to know a little about the candidates that are running.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
What do we need polar bears for, anyways?
Yeah really, and screw the livelyhood of over 12,000 and $300mil a year.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
Nebe

Jim my biggest issue right now is this- the GOP has this trait that kind of bugs me.. they reach out at election time to the 'small town' voter.. they will say 'were lookin out for you.. the little guy'. 'We're going to do what ever we can to help YOU succeed by ecouraging this, that, and whatever'.. When in fract the GOP at least in the past 8 years has proven that it really favors big business. Lets say the 'small town' that they say they care so much about has an oil refinery or some sort of industry that the town depends on.. when the crap hits the fan, who do you think the GOP is looking out for?? I dont judge the economy's well being by looking at the DOW.. I look at the strength of the middle class.. Who do you think is going to do their best with the middle class as their focus? Palin is a smoke screen.. However I will admit I am biased because I have seen Bush lie, cheat, and basicly screw the american people in the name of corperate profits.. McCain is not bush and is more moderate.. so I will say that I dont think that things could possibly be worse if he is elected..
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
the GOP has this trait that kind of bugs me.. they reach out at election time to the 'small town' voter.. they will say 'were lookin out for you.. the little guy'. 'We're going to do what ever we can to help YOU succeed by ecouraging this, that, and whatever'..
Lets say the 'small town' that they say they care so much about has an oil refinery or some sort of industry that the town depends on.. when the crap hits the fan, who do you think the GOP is looking out for?? ..
Nebe, it's not only The GOP that reaches out at election time - it's all parties. Simple explanation is that everyone is trying to get votes so they can get elected and then forget about everything the promised or said they were going to do.

Both major parties are much more similar than you think. It's like professional wrestling where there are "bad guys" and "good guys". Politicians do what they can so that they can get elected. They fight with and complain about the other guy, then behind the scenes they play golf or go sailing. As someone who has worked in politics at the state level, I've seen this happen often.

I do believe that there are a lot of politicians who get into it for the right reasons, and I have met and worked with some of them. But, there are a lot of politicians (both parties) who get into it because they don't have the desire or the capabilities to hold down a "real" job.

In about 10 months, lets look at the promises made during the campaign by whoever gets elected and see what has actually come to fruition. It won't make a difference if it's Obama or McCain.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Jim my biggest issue right now is this- the GOP has this trait that kind of bugs me.. they reach out at election time to the 'small town' voter.. they will say 'were lookin out for you.. the little guy'. 'We're going to do what ever we can to help YOU succeed by ecouraging this, that, and whatever'.. When in fract the GOP at least in the past 8 years has proven that it really favors big business. Lets say the 'small town' that they say they care so much about has an oil refinery or some sort of industry that the town depends on.. when the crap hits the fan, who do you think the GOP is looking out for?? I dont judge the economy's well being by looking at the DOW.. I look at the strength of the middle class.. Who do you think is going to do their best with the middle class as their focus? Palin is a smoke screen.. However I will admit I am biased because I have seen Bush lie, cheat, and basicly screw the american people in the name of corperate profits.. McCain is not bush and is more moderate.. so I will say that I dont think that things could possibly be worse if he is elected..
However, do you really think being a moderate liar, cheater and screwer is really going to help us non-big business folks?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #11
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Mixed? MIXED?!
OK.,
I was wrong, mixed was way to generous

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/...in_environment

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
mosholu
Mosholu

I think it is kind of early to weigh in on her abilities after hearing her give one speech the majority of which she did not write. I am going to keep an open mind about her until the debates and we will see how good she does in a less scripted setting. Although I am for Obama, previously I would not have shed too many tears if McCain was elected. I am kind of concerned that McCain, who says he is a man of principle, backs down from his choices for running mate because of pressure from the far right and then appoints someone that he has only spoke to for an hour.
Maybe in his mind he does not contemplate his own passing but to make a snap decision about the possible future of the country has me quite concerned.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

OK -
you asked Bryan and I like you. This will get preachy, but its my swan song.
Everyone needs to make a list of things that are important to them. Many of the social issues are very low on my list. I dont feel strongly either way on abortion.
I dont care too much about the religious crap unless as you state, it becomes THE purpose of policy.
I value MOST of all, the american spirit. The drive to succeed, courage in the face of adversity, no BS, no focus on race, but on people.
She is a mother, a VERY hard job, she worked in tough jobs. Unlike Obama and Biden, she worked for a living, she could fail, lose her home, not provide food for her family. Obama's work has been about obtaining grants and public funding and like Biden, a career politician. I dont like the career politician thing. So thats point 1.
Point 2 - I really, really like woman leaders. The best people I have ever worked for were strong woman, she reminds me a lot of them.
Point 3 - International - I can see her (much like Obamans supporters see him) on the Internatinal stage and delivering a SOLID representation of America. She is not George Bush.
Point 4 - Balls, there is no doubt to me she has them.
Point 5 - again, my unfair comparison between her and Obama , If I was hiring someone, I lead a project management team, who would I hire if I interview Palin and Obama? Who to me is someone I can talk to and they would listen? Obama reminds me of the bad bosses I had, where the have the answer before you ask the questions and think they know more than you. I dont get that from her.
Point 6 - I think her inexperience is a good thing (much like Obamas supporters) and I think can lead. She has the poise and delivery of a leader.

For the record, I am far from right wing - I am for gay marriage, for the legalization of weed, for the separation of church and state.

So, as an independant, that why she appeals to me. Leadership presence, ballsy woman, family woman, non-career politician.

Have fun tearing me apart.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
OK -
you asked Bryan and I like you. This will get preachy, but its my swan song.
Everyone needs to make a list of things that are important to them. Many of the social issues are very low on my list. I dont feel strongly either way on abortion.
I dont care too much about the religious crap unless as you state, it becomes THE purpose of policy.
I value MOST of all, the american spirit. The drive to succeed, courage in the face of adversity, no BS, no focus on race, but on people.
She is a mother, a VERY hard job, she worked in tough jobs. Unlike Obama and Biden, she worked for a living, she could fail, lose her home, not provide food for her family. Obama's work has been about obtaining grants and public funding and like Biden, a career politician. I dont like the career politician thing. So thats point 1.
Point 2 - I really, really like woman leaders. The best people I have ever worked for were strong woman, she reminds me a lot of them.
Point 3 - International - I can see her (much like Obamans supporters see him) on the Internatinal stage and delivering a SOLID representation of America. She is not George Bush.
Point 4 - Balls, there is no doubt to me she has them.
Point 5 - again, my unfair comparison between her and Obama , If I was hiring someone, I lead a project management team, who would I hire if I interview Palin and Obama? Who to me is someone I can talk to and they would listen? Obama reminds me of the bad bosses I had, where the have the answer before you ask the questions and think they know more than you. I dont get that from her.
Point 6 - I think her inexperience is a good thing (much like Obamas supporters) and I think can lead. She has the poise and delivery of a leader.

For the record, I am far from right wing - I am for gay marriage, for the legalization of weed, for the separation of church and state.

So, as an independant, that why she appeals to me. Leadership presence, ballsy woman, family woman, non-career politician.

Have fun tearing me apart.

BTW - interesting on the environemnt side where most of you are for killing the seals, the plovers and the dogfish

Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
BTW - interesting on the environemnt side where most of you are for killing the seals, the plovers and the dogfish
It only matters when it affects them.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY
She is a mother, a VERY hard job, she worked in tough jobs. Unlike Obama and Biden, she worked for a living, she could fail, lose her home, not provide food for her family.
Didn't Biden loose his wife and daughter at a very young age? Hasn't he commuted home via train every day from Washington to raise his kids?

Did you know Biden is one of the poorest Senators currently holding a seat?

And you think his is a cake job? That's insulting to the Senator and family values as a whole.

Quote:
I see a Bush style "America's the best and FU if you think different" approach to foreign relations that hasn't worked the last 8 years.

This is one thing I think the Dems understand much better than the GOP.

As Fareed Zakaria writes in his new book (from memory here)... America has succeeded in globalizing the world, but has yet to globalize itsself.

Or something like that.

The point being, that in the last decade we've seen an incredible rise among other nations. We are still the global leader, but there are so many other strong nations we can't lead with a stick (alone) any longer. This goes straight up the neocon's ass, but it's reality, and Iraq is proof in the putting. China is more proof and Georgia even more.

The world has changed (read as "not changing") and our approach must change for the USA to have the necessary influence. We're not going to become irrevelant overnight, but it's already starting to happen.

I look at the Republican platform and I see more of the same. Complete denial that the way forward is the way of the past.

-spence
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #17
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Didn't Biden loose his wife and daughter at a very young age? Hasn't he commuted home via train every day from Washington to raise his kids?

Did you know Biden is one of the poorest Senators currently holding a seat?

And you think his is a cake job? That's insulting to the Senator and family values as a whole.

-spence
Spence, I'm suprised you would actually use the word "poor" to describe Biden. I bet lot's of minimum wage earners trying to support families wouldn't mind making close to $200K a year. Oh, and he has most of his travel paid for, including his commute, among the other freebies and perks for being a Senator.

And while being a Senator is no "cake job", it is a little easier when you miss 30% of the votes. And think about the time he saves by not having to come up with speeches on his own. He just takes what others have written and take scredit for it. That gives him plenty of time to rush home on the train to spend time with his adult children and 5 grandchildren.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:06 AM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Spence, I'm suprised you would actually use the word "poor" to describe Biden. I bet lot's of minimum wage earners trying to support families wouldn't mind making close to $200K a year. Oh, and he has most of his travel paid for, including his commute, among the other freebies and perks for being a Senator.

And while being a Senator is no "cake job", it is a little easier when you miss 30% of the votes. And think about the time he saves by not having to come up with speeches on his own. He just takes what others have written and take scredit for it. That gives him plenty of time to rush home on the train to spend time with his adult children and 5 grandchildren.
Big difference between "poor" and "poorest". The point being that he's made out to be the "elite" when in fact compared to his peers he's quite modest in means and has never been super rich. 200K might seem like a lot to you and me, but it's not a ton of money for a sales professional, and we're talking about someone trusted with helping to lead the Legislative branch of our government of 300 million people.

And the 30% figure is a red herring. By this measure alone John McCain stands at 64% votes missed! When you look at "votes cast" Joe Biden is higher than many Senators who have missed less than 10%.

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 05:57 AM   #19
TheSpecialist
Hardcore Equipment Tester

Bill Clinton made it's legislative passage a priority in 1993

Bill Clinton was president when NAFTA was passed by the legislature.

The plan was drafted by BUsh, and never altered by Clinton before being passed.

North American Free Trade Agreement
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"NAFTA" redirects here. For other uses of the acronym, see Nafta (disambiguation).
The North American Free Trade Agreement
Tratado de Libre Comercio de América del Norte
Accord de libre-échange nord-américain

Secretariats Mexico City, Ottawa and Washington, D.C.
Official languages English, French and Spanish
Membership Canada
Mexico
United States
Establishment
- Formation 1 January 1994
Area
- Total 21,783,850 km² (1st)
8,410,792 sq mi
- Water (%) 7.4
Population
- 2008 estimate 445,335,091 (3rd)
- Density 20.4/km² (195th)
52.9/sq mi
GDP (PPP) 2007 (IMF) estimate
- Total $15,857 billion (1st)
- Per capita $35,491 (14th)
GDP (nominal) 2007 (IMF) estimate
- Total $15,723 billion (2nd)
- Per capita $35,564 (18th)
Website
http://www.nafta-sec-alena.org
The North American Free Trade Agreement (Spanish: Tratado de Libre Comercio de América del Norte [TLCAN], French: Accord de libre-échange nord-américain [ALENA]) is a trilateral trade bloc in North America created by the governments of the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has two supplements, the North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation (NAAEC) and The North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation (NAALC). The agreements came into effect on January 1, 1994. In terms of combined purchasing power parity GDP of its members, as of 2007 the trade bloc is the largest in the world and second largest by nominal GDP comparison.
Contents [hide]
1 North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation
2 North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation
3 Further integration
4 History of the implementation
5 Effects
5.1 Trade
5.2 Industry
5.3 Environment
5.4 Agriculture
5.5 Mobility of persons
6 Criticism and controversies
6.1 Canadian disputes
6.1.1 Canadian government challenged on change in Income trust taxation
6.2 U.S. deindustrialization
6.3 Impact on Mexican farmers
6.4 Chapter 11
6.5 Chapter 19
6.6 Chapter 20
6.7 Chapter 14
7 Public opinion
8 Travel and migration
8.1 United States and Canada
8.2 The United States and Mexico
9 See also
10 References
11 External links
[edit]North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation
The North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation (NAAEC) was a response to environmentalists' concerns that the United States would lower its standards if the three countries did not achieve consistent environmental regulation. The NAAEC only obligates parties to enforce their own environmental laws. The NAAEC, in an endeavour to be more than a set of environmental regulations, established the North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation, a mechanism for addressing trade and environmental issues, the North American Development Bank (NADBank) for assisting and financing investments in pollution reduction, and the Border Environmental Cooperation Commission (BECC). The NADBank and the BECC have provided economic benefits to Mexico by financing 36 projects, mostly in the water sector.[1]
[edit]North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation
The North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation (NAALC) supplements NAFTA and endeavors to create a foundation for cooperation among the three countries for the resolution of labor problems, as well as to promote greater cooperation among trade unions and social organizations in order to fight for improved labor conditions.
[edit]Further integration

While different groups advocate for a further integration into a North American Community, sensitive issues have hindered that process. The three countries have pursued different trade policies with non-members (for example, Mexico has signed FTAs with more than 40 countries in 12 agreements), making the possibility of creating a customs union difficult to accomplish. Former President Vicente Fox of Mexico had promoted the idea of enhancing NAFTA (into what he labeled "NAFTA-Plus", or possibly a North American Community), but after the September 11, 2001 attacks, priorities in the United States changed. The Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America was signed, instead, as a separate and unrelated agreement.
Given the scope of the agreement, which includes very sensitive issues in trade talks such as agriculture liberalization and environment regulation, few countries have shown interest in joining NAFTA. Instead, some countries, like Chile, preferred to negotiate three separate bilateral agreements with the three current NAFTA members, with different restrictions to liberalization of their industries and the regulation of environment protection. Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago also showed a similar interest.[2][3][4]
In an interview with Larry King on October 8, 2007, Fox described any plans for a North American single currency as a "long term, very long term" proposal. He also spoke of he and U.S. President George W. Bush's support for the Free Trade Area of the Americas as a "first step" toward "a new vision" for the Americas, "like we are trying to do with NAFTA", but then said that Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez had decided to "destroy the idea".[5]
[edit]History of the implementation

President Bill Clinton signing NAFTA into law, November 1993
NAFTA was initially pursued by politicians in the United States and Canada supportive of free trade, led by Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, U.S. President George H. W. Bush, and the Mexican President Carlos Salinas de Gortari. The three countries signed NAFTA in December 1992, subject to ratification by the legislatures of the three countries. There was considerable opposition in all three countries. In the United States, NAFTA was able to secure passage after Bill Clinton made its passage a major legislative priority in 1993. Since the agreement had been signed by Bush under his fast-track prerogative, Clinton did not alter the original agreement, but complemented it with the aforementioned NAAEC and NAALC. After intense political debate and the negotiation of these side agreements, the U.S. House of Representatives passed NAFTA on November 17, 1993, by 234-200 vote (132 Republicans and 102 Democrats voting in favor; 43 Republicans, 156 Democrats, and 1 independent against),[6] and the U.S. Senate passed it on the last day of its 1993 session, November 20, 1993, by 61-38 vote (34 Republicans and 27 Democrats voting in favor; 10 Republicans and 28 Democrats against, with 1 Democrat opponent not voting -- Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-ND), an ardent foe of NAFTA, missed the vote because of an illness in his family).[7]
[edit]Effects

Bent Rods and Screaming Reels!

Spot NAZI
Old 09-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #20
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Big difference between "poor" and "poorest". The point being that he's made out to be the "elite" when in fact compared to his peers he's quite modest in means and has never been super rich. 200K might seem like a lot to you and me, but it's not a ton of money for a sales professional, and we're talking about someone trusted with helping to lead the Legislative branch of our government of 300 million people.

And the 30% figure is a red herring. By this measure alone John McCain stands at 64% votes missed! When you look at "votes cast" Joe Biden is higher than many Senators who have missed less than 10%.

-spence
Spence, I appreciate your argument, but maybe saying that Biden has "one of the lowest income levels among his peers" would have been a better choice of words. "poorest" is different than "poor", but it's a derivation af the same word and using it to decribe Biden is a little over the top. Not many people are going to feel sorry for a guy making around $200K and who has many more "freebies" and "perks" handed to him than them. Remember that he writes off a lot of things that most people can't. Oh, and don't forget the income derived from his book. I'm sure he got something for that.

And he has a lot more time off than the salepeople you mentioned. Remember, the Senate is not in session all year and he gets paid whether he is there or not. Salespeople who make the big bucks are usually on commission and work long hours with only a few weeks of vacation a year. They only get paid for the sales they make. Don't diminish how hard it is to support a family when you income is directly tied to you being successful in making sales. If they don't sell, they don't get paid.

As for the voting in the Senate, I counted him as having missed the 5th most votes, behind McCain (#1), Obama (#3) and Clinton (#4). I would think that preparing to run for President and campaigning might explain why those 3 may have missed some of their votes. And I actually looked up "votes cast" and Biden only has more than 3 other Senators with less than 10% missed. Unless you want to count Craig Thomas who died last year.

And to your earlier point about him taking the train home to Delaware each day for his family. That is admirable, but he's not the only person to make great sacrifices for his family. A lot of people have suffered through terrible personal tragedies and have had to go on living. Kudos to Biden for doing what should be expected of him, because there are other people out there who wouldn't have done what he did.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #21
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Jim,
Not going to tear you apart. I just wanted clarification. It seems, at least intuitively to me, that she would turn off moderates.
You have strong convictions. So do I. I respect that, and try to do my best to post here and be non-combative. To me, her right-wing social and environmental issues trump all of the qualities you mention, and she is a lot of those things. If Hillary had half her balls and charisma, it would have been no contest this year.

I just think, regardless of her abilities as a leader, her poise, her representation of America, her issues to me, make her very unpalatable, even as a VP.

I'm not for killing seals and dogfish and others without merit, reason or rage. I am for sound environmentalism, and if something is way out of wack, probably due to us, we should work to reduce or remove out negative influence.

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 09-04-2008 at 09:52 AM..

Bryan

Old 09-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

bry - dont confuse moderate with independant
I think all child rapists should be disemboweled in a public forum, no kidding. I think we should be more isolationist, screw the UN, Im not moderate.

Neb on the small town issue. Want to see a crap hole? Visit Derbt CT. I grew up there. At one time, there was a steel industry, machinery, some pretty big employers. In the past 20-30 yrs, it dried up. the town is like a graveyard of empty buildings and post 1950 tentaments and cape cods. Its the most depressign thing for me to drive through there. I see small towns and big business linked. If you drive up taxes and penalties, it will drive business out. Big business drives jobs.

Ok, enough flip flopping, Im outta hear, no hard feelings, just not getting the kind of intellectual stimulation I need from the I hate bush crowd, you got to do better, bush is soon to be gone.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #23
likwid
lobster = striper bait

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-so..._b_123643.html

She supports our troops!

By violating opsec.
Awesome.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #24
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

[QUOTE=RIJIMMY;617345]bry - dont confuse moderate with independant

Fair enough, I don't confuse, but probably shouldn't lump. Moderate repubs usually fall closer to the middle than they do to the far right, in my experience..

Bryan

Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #25
EarnedStripes44

Killing dogfish.... I know of no better way to inexpensively feed the in-laws than to provide them copious amounts of battered dogfish nuggets and lemon slices.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #26
slapshot

unity

hope

hopefulness for unity

the unity of hopefulness

listen to my voice....

bluefish Jihadist
Old 09-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #27
Hooper
Southsider

McCain / Palin has my vote, I'm done with political coverage, I've made up my mind.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #28
buckman

I think he voted present like 90 percent of the time. Is he that stupid or does he just want to have no position on record. He must have been to busy running for President to read the bills. I wonder how many "presents" McCain has.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #29
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I wonder how many "presents" McCain has.
The point is moot. The context of voting present was as an IL House member, not as a US Senator. The procedures are different.

Most US Congress people vote so infrequently it makes one wonder

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You might want to blame the "Dems" but the majority of "For" votes on NAFTA were republican and the majority of those "against" were democrat....says it right in the article above.

and that is the same in the senate as well as the House of reps.

Greed doesn't care about party lines

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."