Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #31
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Perfect People

oke:

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #32
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Going outside ain't what it used to be....
They can't ride their bikes in the neighboorhood because a road rage d-bag doing 50 in a 25 will run them down - or a freak will grab them up....
They can't walk down the street because a freak might grab them up.
They can't play in the front yard unattended - see reasons 1 & 2...
exercise with your kids!

if there's a school nearby, walk laps around the football/soccer field or track.

goof around with a ball. make it fun!

how 'bout a visit to the pool with kids at the local ymca? nothing tuckers out a kid more than an hour spent floundering in the pool.

you know, you can even fish and get some exercise.

some of my favorite workouts have been with folks like ChrisL, Krispy, and JohnR - walking and casting Naps in the middle of the night!

don't have to cost an arm and a leg or take up a ton of time.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #33
Joe

My point is that you just can't open the door and let them go off by themselves all day, on foot, like you could thirty years ago. That's why our generation was so skinny....that and the fact that we were too damn poor to have a UHF antenna.

I can't remember my father ever exercising with me - his Lucky Strikes would have burned down too fast in the breeze, I do remember him saying he had to run down to the packy though - does that count?

Personally, my kid is not fat...but I can see why it is a problem.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #34
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
My point is that you just can't open the door and let them go off by themselves all day, on foot, like you could thirty years ago. That's why our generation was so skinny....that and the fact that we were too damn poor to have a UHF antenna.

I can't remember my father ever exercising with me - his Lucky Strikes would have burned down too fast in the breeze, I do remember him saying he had to run down to the packy though - does that count?

Personally, my kid is not fat...but I can see why it is a problem.
I'm 55 yo. I consider my generation to be the last "free" one. We could play outside way after dark. We , in our teens could hit the woods with a .22 and spend most of a weekend and our parents didn't worry . Hell you could go for a walk at night and no one called the police. Speaking of police, the small town in Kentucky where I was raised , Pop. 1800, had a police chief who was a patient individual, he knew who was trouble and who was just "high spirited but bacically good kids" . ANd he dealt with us accordingly. If he was alive today, I'd like to shake Chief Bradly's hand and thank him for his understanding. But I digress... We were more active because our world was safer..simple as that ..we , and our children are prisonser in our own homes these days, outside is a very mean place.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #35
BMEUPSCOTTY

I remember as a kid riding my bike 14 miles ONE WAY, and playing 36-54 holes on a very hilly course. Crazy? Maybe, but I loved golf and if my mom couldn't drive me that day, then that's what it took to get to the course. Would love to inspire the same in my kids, but kinda hard when they see me only 5 or 6 days a month and their mom is one of those described above... I am the MEAN one who says NO.
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #36
Smokey14
licensed to kill

Send a message via AIM to Smokey14
here's one for genetics
I have 2 boys 11 and 12. the 12 year old is thin as a rail, the 11 year old is ...well, not as thin. They both eat the same way and play the same way. now when I was a kid I was as skinny as they come. The boys in my wife's family were all chunky. Now all grown up, I'm 40 y/o 5'7" 215 lbs and my brothers in law are tall and skinny. Life style has most to blame but there is something to be said for geans.

If I offend you please call 1-800- 328-7448
Smokey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #37
mosholu
Mosholu

One thing I have noticed since I moved overseas is the size of portions that you get in a US restuarant is way more than you would get in Europe. There is simply no need to have to eat that much. Kids in a restuarant with a 20- 24 oz coke is just too much. When I am back in the US I can not finish a starter and a main course. That being said in the 10 years I have lived in the UK has seen the rise of McDonalds and BK etc. and you are now hearing the same things regarding kid's fitness that you hear in the states.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #38
PaulS

Our farm policies are all screwed up. We subsidize corn, which makes it cheaper to eat fattening foods that use high frusctose corn syrup than to eat unsubsidized food like veggies. Make fritos cost more and apples, carrots, etc. cost less and you'd have a healther population.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #39
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Just so there is another side to the story -
There is a REASON that all the crap daytime shows have diaper, diet aid and woman's stuff, the target is stay at home Moms. And they wouldnt be spending advertising moeny if it didnt work. My point is that most of the Moms in my neighborhood stay home and I know that during the day, when they need to get stuff done, they turn on teh tube for the kids. My kids are in daycare and never watch tv, ever, during teh day.
That said, my wife and I both work incredibly stressful jobs, but, I always leave at a reasonable hour, go home and run around with the kids and then log back in to work once they go to bed. I am active and my kids will be too. There is no one right way

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #40
fishsmith
DDG-51

good point RIJIMMY - take a look at the ads on nickelodeon - food food and more food. Still no excuse, but like they say to find the cause follow the money.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #41
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassturbed View Post
exercise with your kids!

if there's a school nearby, walk laps around the football/soccer field or track.

goof around with a ball. make it fun!

how 'bout a visit to the pool with kids at the local ymca? nothing tuckers out a kid more than an hour spent floundering in the pool.

you know, you can even fish and get some exercise.

some of my favorite workouts have been with folks like ChrisL, Krispy, and JohnR - walking and casting Naps in the middle of the night!

don't have to cost an arm and a leg or take up a ton of time.
Ben is dead on.

Get em the hell out of the house. #1 thing.

Also there's programs growing out there including one run by my far more intelligent half. Their tagline (Ben, she's been interviewed on NY1 twice now, you've probably seen it.):

a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and a healthy lifestyle through running. Our curricula address all aspects of girls' development: their physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual well-being.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #42
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

I'm fat cuz I only fish with bait.

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #43
PaulS

PRNewswire, 05/23/07 - A study sponsored by Anthem BCBS and MaineHealth indicates that physical inactivity and excess weight are costing Maine's economy a conservatively estimated $2.56 billion in avoidable medical and workers' compensation costs and lost productivity each year.

The study quantifies the economic costs of inactivity and excess weight for Maine, in addition to the already well-documented cost in lives lost and diminished quality of life. The quantified the cost of three important risk factors -- physical inactivity, overweight and obesity -- on three major cost components -- medical care, workers' compensation, and lost productivity. Like other studies conducted in seven other states, the cost of these three risk factors in Maine is staggering and warrant immediate attention and corrective action.

According to the report, the costs mainly impact employers in the form of more expensive health insurance and lost productivity. Direct and indirect costs of the risk factor physical inactivity totaled $1.289 billion, while risk factors for overweight and obesity totaled $414 million and $863 million, respectively. Lost productivity (absenteeism, presenteeism, short-term disability, and on-the-job injury) in direct and indirect costs totaled $2.09 billion annually based on 2004 data.

The study suggests that without changes in lifestyle, the costs are likely to get worse. Unless current trends towards increased weight and less physical activity are slowed or reversed, the total impact on Maine's economy will rise to $3.10 billion in 2009, a cumulative 5-year increase of more than 21%.

The bulk of the cost of this epidemic is borne directly by employers and taxpayers, but it affects everyone. In fact, the report divides the annual cost by the number of Maine residents, giving a per person, per year cost of nearly $2,000.

The report says that nearly 47% of Maine adults are physically inactive, 43.9% are overweight and almost 30% of Maine adults are obese according to statistics from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The good news is that if just 5% of inactive Maine adults took a brisk 20 minute walk five times per week, the savings to Maine's economy would total more than $150 million a year or $750 million over five years.

Workplace wellness programs are becoming increasingly common in businesses throughout the state. Anthem has hosted a series of statewide conferences on wellness, including an upcoming conference on May 31 on the role of communities in encouraging physical activity and a healthy diet in Maine children and adults. A copy of the summary report can be found at www.anthem.com/maine/weightstudy.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #44
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

mmmmmm

UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #45
JohnnyD

In some forums I go to, bumping 4 1/2 year old threads is a mandatory 48-hour ban.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #46
Saltheart

I think diet has a big effect now. Yes more exercise for kids is certainly needed. I see no kids playing outside in my neighborhood either. Its too bad because in addition to health issues , playing outside is a lot of fun they miss out on. I remember as a kid with a bike , we had a huge range to roam. was nothing to get 5 miles from home on your bike. The only bikers I see now are 20-40 year olds in fancy suits seriously riding. I never see kids around on bikes.

I wonder if playing outside or the freedom of a bike is something parents view as dangerous now? What a world!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #47
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

We went shopping the other day for some Toys for Tots gifts. I was picking things up that were simple things for little kids...fun stuff that I would have liked as a kid...

Remember the little game with the magnet and the metal filings with the outline of the man, you drew on him how you wanted him to look? I picked up a bunch of those and said perfect...clean fun. Wife says wtf you get those for there no kid that will like those.

We'll see. Maybe maybe not. When I was a kid it was a treat once a month to have mcdonalds and we were always outside playing. We used to run the whole neighborhood playing kick the can.

Too much video games now. way too much. Disappointing.

I though you might like to see that video. Who cares if it's a 4 yo thread. It holds true today still

ugh.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #48
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
I wonder if playing outside or the freedom of a bike is something parents view as dangerous now? What a world!
I think that's a big part of it. Also, back home you lived in planned neighborhoods were you'd have a dozen kids around your own age. Out here things are much more mixed up, at least where I am.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #49
basswipe

What if Chafee's sugar tax gets passed?

All you freakin morons who voted for this a$$hole should be ashamed of yourselves. And you know who you are!

Think about it......a sugar tax.If Stinc has his way we won't even have a say in what are children eat.

Chafee's a joke and so are the people who voted him into office.JOKE.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #50
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'm not a big fan of video games...but its not always video games that keeps kids off the streets.

Kids are a lot busier now-a-days too.....when I was a kid, My Dad worked, My mom worked Part Time, and I went out and hung w/ friends, the end....got into some trouble as well too

Things are Uber-Organized now-a-days...friekin playdates....WTF....gotta schedule getting together now.

Now my kids growing up had Soccer, Baseball, Softball, Basketball, Scouts, Dance...right now my son does Drama, A-Capella, and Jazz Ensemble as well as Boy Scouts and Ventures during the week....my daughter does Dance 3-4 times a week after school, and is a Homework Junkie (2-3 hours a day).

also when I grew up I lived in a city...walk out my door and had 15 kids my age within 200 yards of my house...easy to find kids to hang with. where I live now....the nearest boy my son's age lives 3/4 mile away.....don't have that closeness.

I think the Obesity thing has a lot to do w/ the crap kids eat as well as lethargy on both their's and their parents part. There are a good number that really are just wasting away in front of the video games....and parents need to kick them into play....takes work to do and people are getting lazy as a whole

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #51
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
What if Chafee's sugar tax gets passed?

All you freakin morons who voted for this a$$hole should be ashamed of yourselves. And you know who you are!

Think about it......a sugar tax.If Stinc has his way we won't even have a say in what are children eat.

Chafee's a joke and so are the people who voted him into office.JOKE.
The only person I know who voted for Linc Chafee is S-B's own resident geologist RIROCKHOUND.

-spence
Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #52
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

awesome

Lawmaker Says Michelle Obama Has ‘Large Posterior’ - FishbowlDC
Old 12-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #53
spence

If true it is really pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #54
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
If true it is really pathetic.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
It's true, she has a big butt. Still doesn't make it ok to mention it publicly.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #55
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

So it's ok to talk about Kim Kardashians ass but not her royal highness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Old 12-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #56
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Well, the thing is she isn't fat...that's just how she's built. To call out her a$$ like this isn't just silly, it's really a pig headed remark.

-spence
Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #57
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

In your eyes

Personally I thought it pretty darn funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well, the thing is she isn't fat...that's just how she's built. To call out her a$$ like this isn't just silly, it's really a pig headed remark.

-spence
Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #58
Raven

gotta love pigs
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote