Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #31
wrikerjr

I do not believe there is such a thing as too sharp of a hook.

I think as fisherman we tend to over analyze everything and forget that a fishing plug is a tool. A fishing plug is designed for a specific purpose to hook a fish, most of us fish for striped bass and when they become very large they have very tough jaws and i want the sharpest hooks possible to penetrate those jaws.

I have taken my biggest fish on plugs that you would cringe at because i missed the through hole and there is a hole in the side of the plug. I drilled the weight hole where the belly hole should be so there is a huge gap. I fished all these plugs as do many other plug builders but we all do one thing and that is try to use the sharpest hooks.

Will a vmc give you hook rash - certainly. I think that is character to the plug not something I am at all worried about.
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #32
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
not all plugs.
your just saying that because it's true.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote