Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Did you listen to her response?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
What was her response to that? I didn't hear it.

During her tenure as Secstate, many nations had evacuated their diplomats from Benghazi, because of the danger. We didn't. The ambassador repeatedly asked for more security, which he never got, which cost him and 3 other Americans, their lives. There were no effective military contingency intervention plans either, obviously.

Then after it happened, they tried to dodge guilt by saying it was an unplanned response to a video. They said that, because that was easier for them to admit, than to tell the truth, which was they got caught with their pants down, when other nations clearly saw the danger and got their people the hell out of there.

Leading the State Dept isn't an exact science. You make a lot of judgment calls, and it's really easy to second-guess with the benefit of hindsight. However, in this case, it's clear the decision-making was awful, and 4 Americans are dead as a direct result.

She deserves to get promoted for that? She should've gotten fired.

We've come a LONG WAY from "the buck stops with me".
Old 10-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
11 hours of interrogation with hopes of Hillary providing some magical sound bites to use against her.
What a joke and what a dishonor to those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
Fixed.

I watched a lot of the coverage and frankly it was shameful. Gowdy's assertion they were out for the truth was a total lie. What's really insulting to the American public is that all this energy did nothing to further any understanding of the event.

The mockery and insults, including the 11th hour barrage of questions intended to trip her up when she's exhausted were pretty pathetic. They clearly tried to tire her out and go for the kill.

Unfortunately for the GOP their failed efforts simply made Republicans look foolish and Clinton to be the smartest and most capable person in the room.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
scottw

Quote:
Fixed.

I watched a lot of the coverage and frankly it was shameful. Gowdy's assertion they were out for the truth was a total lie. What's really insulting to the American public is that all this energy did nothing to further any understanding of the event.

The mockery and insults, including the 11th hour barrage of questions intended to trip her up when she's exhausted were pretty pathetic. They clearly tried to tire her out and go for the kill.

Unfortunately for the GOP their failed efforts simply made Republicans look foolish and Clinton to be the smartest and most capable person in the room.
now I'm positive that Spence has a creepy Hillary shrine in his closet
Old 10-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Fixed.

Gowdy's assertion they were out for the truth was a total lie. .
probably because when dealing with Clinton's, you are never going to get any truth...I see what you did there
Old 10-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Clinton to be the smartest and most capable person in the room.
Tell that to the families of the 4 dead Americans.

The hearing was motivated, to a large degree, by politics. No question.

That doesn't mean that her state department didn't drop the ball in Banghazi, and then attempt to lie about what caused their deaths, rather than admit that they failed.

I agree she probably comes out of this the winner. Not because she's smart or capable, but because sheep like you are incapable of questioning her explanation, that she did the best she could.

Let me re-state. I believe she did the best she could. In this case, her best was a pathetic, abject disaster, compounded by the fact that she tried to dodge guilt by saying it was a spontaneous response to a video, rather than a terrorist attack that was foreseen by everyone who had people in Benghazi, except her.

Others saw the danger and evacuated Benghazi. She failed to do so, and people died. Rather than admit she fu**ed up, she lied about what happened. And that's someone who we want to elevate, to give her more chances to screw up on a bigger stage?

Sorry. If you get your clock cleaned at Pop Warner football, you aren't ready for the NFL.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Fixed.

Clinton to be the smartest and most capable person in the room.
That is the #^&#^&#^&#^&ing funniest thing I've read in days.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
PaulS

Did anyone mention the serviceman who died in Iraq the day before? A moment of silence? anything?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Did anyone mention the serviceman who died in Iraq the day before? A moment of silence? anything?
If they didn't, they could have and should have.

Clearly there was a significant political angle to this on both sides. The GOP wants her head on a platter, the Dems will do anything to avoid criticizing her.

Politics aside, I dont know how you can argue that the State Dept didn't screw up royally. Other nations pulled their people out of Benghazi because it was too dangerous. Not only did we leave our people there, but Stevens' multiple requests for additional security were ignored. That is a major, major screw up. Other groups saw this coming, and her State Dept did not.

If she's that inept at keeping people alive who she puts in harm's way, she's not remotely fit for the job she seeks.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
I just read he was a Delta Force master sgt with 11 bronze stars.

Special place in heaven for that guy.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
joebaggs99

Wasted time and resources to put a head on the chopping block. 3 investigations with the same results. A terrible thing happened, let's take a moment and remember what happened and do our best as a nation moving forward. Those millions of tax dollars on this last investigation should have been used for food for the poor in MHO.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaggs99 View Post
Wasted time and resources to put a head on the chopping block. 3 investigations with the same results. A terrible thing happened, let's take a moment and remember what happened and do our best as a nation moving forward. Those millions of tax dollars on this last investigation should have been used for food for the poor in MHO.
So true
Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
So true
The US State Dept left those people in Benghazi when other countries correctly sensed the danger and pulled out. After leaving thos epeople in harm's way, the state dept then rejected multiple requests from Stevens for more security.

Now, is it a waste of time to ask the person who ran the State Dept at that time, WTF happened, how could we have been so wrong? That's a perfectly fair question, and she hadn't been asked that under oath until yesterday.

Her answer was "we did the best we could". Well, if that's true, her best wasn't NEARLY good enough. Other countries did much better, as did the Red Cross, which also got their people the hell out of there BEFORE any of them got killed.

If her "best", results in Americans getting killed when everyone else was smart enough to get out of there before their people got hurt, how in God's name is she fit to be POTUS?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
scottw

Quote:
Wasted time and resources... Those millions of tax dollars on his last vacation should have been used for food for the poor in MHO.
fixed it...

"It’s hard to imagine how Democrats complaining about the cost of the House Special Committee on Benghazi manage to keep a
straight face. After all, the total cost to date is under 5 million dollars, not even close to the actual cost of a weekend Obama family
getaway. Even more to the point, Elizabeth Harrington of the Free Beacon took a look at what the federal government pays for
other kinds of information:
The amount of taxpayer funding that has gone toward the investigation into the terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, is
less than the amount the federal government has invested in “Origami condoms” and studies on why lesbians are
obese. (snip)
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) gave $2,466,482 to Daniel Resnic to develop three versions of the Origami
condom, including the “first of its kind” anal condom. Resnic was later accused of wasting the money on full#^&body
plastic surgery, trips to Costa Rica, parties at the Playboy mansion, and patents for inventions such as “rounded
corners.”
The NIH has also given $3,531,925 to researchers to determine why lesbians are obese and gay men are not. Results
have included: gay men have a “greater desire for toned muscles” than straight men, lesbians have low “athletic selfesteem,”
and young men think about their muscles.
The Democratic members on the Benghazi committee also like to point out that the Benghazi investigation has lasted
532 Days, “longer than the investigations of Pearl Harbor, the Kennedy assassination, Iran#^&Contra, and Hurricane
Katrina.”
The federally funded investigation into lesbian obesity has lasted for 1,460 days, or four years since it began in
September 2011.
These two projects cost taxpayers $5,998,407."
Old 10-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
joebaggs99

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
fixed it...

"It’s hard to imagine how Democrats complaining about the cost of the House Special Committee on Benghazi manage to keep a
straight face. After all, the total cost to date is under 5 million dollars, not even close to the actual cost of a weekend Obama family
getaway. Even more to the point, Elizabeth Harrington of the Free Beacon took a look at what the federal government pays for
other kinds of information:
The amount of taxpayer funding that has gone toward the investigation into the terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, is
less than the amount the federal government has invested in “Origami condoms” and studies on why lesbians are
obese. (snip)
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) gave $2,466,482 to Daniel Resnic to develop three versions of the Origami
condom, including the “first of its kind” anal condom. Resnic was later accused of wasting the money on full#^&body
plastic surgery, trips to Costa Rica, parties at the Playboy mansion, and patents for inventions such as “rounded
corners.”
The NIH has also given $3,531,925 to researchers to determine why lesbians are obese and gay men are not. Results
have included: gay men have a “greater desire for toned muscles” than straight men, lesbians have low “athletic selfesteem,”
and young men think about their muscles.
The Democratic members on the Benghazi committee also like to point out that the Benghazi investigation has lasted
532 Days, “longer than the investigations of Pearl Harbor, the Kennedy assassination, Iran#^&Contra, and Hurricane
Katrina.”
The federally funded investigation into lesbian obesity has lasted for 1,460 days, or four years since it began in
September 2011.
These two projects cost taxpayers $5,998,407."
I said it is a waste of funds and resources. Never mentioned Democrats or Republicans. Let's read and stay on track. with all do respect.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #15
scottw

Quote:
I said it is a waste of funds and resources. Never mentioned Democrats or Republicans. Let's read and stay on track. with all do respect.
on the big scale of needless federal waste of funds and public resources which could have fed hungry children, this is pretty low in terms of cost and outrage, much of which could have been avoided if the folks under scrutiny had been more cooperative and honest .... but that's not in their nature
Old 10-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
much of which could have been avoided if the folks under scrutiny had been more cooperative and honest .... but that's not in their nature
Bingo. Why did it take Hilary 3 years to turn over the last batch or emails?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #17
Nebe

Under Bush there was 13 embassy attacks and 60 Americans died.
Where was the republican outrage then?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #18
scottw

Quote:
check your facts
Old 10-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #19
Doover

Send a message via AIM to Doover
Exclamation

Quote:
But Bush? How pathetic!

ISAIAH 3:9

Romans 1:26-27
Old 10-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #20
scottw

Quote:
did you check your facts yet?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #21
PaulS

So now when other countries do something we need to do it too? How funny is that. Let France decide our foreign policy.

Pure pathetic politics. Using the death of American's for politics.

There needs to be more hearings and investigations since this one (like all the others) didn't turn anything up. Use the same reasoning that was used for this investigation. There must be something there other than some misstatements made during the 1st few days w/a fluid situation. Why didn't they look into why Congress turned down requests for more $ to strengthen the defenses of our embassies?

70% of the American public thinks this is political and the results proved that.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #22
scottw

what to do...what to do....

By a nearly 2-to-1 margin, Americans say they're unsatisfied with Hillary Clinton's response to the 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, according to results from a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

But a plurality of respondents believe that the congressional investigation into the attack is unfair and politically motivated.

The new national poll, conducted by Quinnipiac, asked voters to name the words that came to mind when the Democratic presidential frontrunner was mentioned. After “liar,” the word most commonly associated with Clinton was “dishonest.” The third-ranked word was “untrustworthy.” 61 percent of respondents said Clinton was not “honest and trustworthy,” her “lowest score ever” by that metric, according to the pollster.

Hillary blamed an assortment of "enemies" and "conspiracies" for her liar label and dishonesty problems....
Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
So now when other countries do something we need to do it too? How funny is that. Let France decide our foreign policy.

Pure pathetic politics. Using the death of American's for politics.

There needs to be more hearings and investigations since this one (like all the others) didn't turn anything up. Use the same reasoning that was used for this investigation. There must be something there other than some misstatements made during the 1st few days w/a fluid situation. Why didn't they look into why Congress turned down requests for more $ to strengthen the defenses of our embassies?

70% of the American public thinks this is political and the results proved that.
"when other countries do something we need to do it too?"

Yes, that's exactly what I said. Liberals tend to have a really hard time responding to what has actually been said, instead, they like to but radical jibberish in the mouth of whoever is asking the question.

Why did other countries, and the Red Cross, know enough to get their people out of Benghazi? Why was Hilary's State Dept so less aware of the danger on the ground? Is that unfair to ask? If other countries clearly outperform us (in any area), you're saying there's no value in figuring out why that is?

Let me slow this down for you. I am not saying we do everything other countries do. But I'd like to know why other countries had a much better appreciation for the reality of th ethreat in Benghazi, than we did. Am I going too fast for you?

"How funny is that. "

Not very, especially for the families of the dead.

"Let France decide our foreign policy. " Not remotely what I said. But if we all agree that our foreign policy needs to be superior to that of the French, how do we achieve that by electing someone who can't do as good a job at foreign policy, as the French? Our foreign policy status has been clobbered since she was Sec State. Is none of that her fault? How is that worthy of a promotion?

"Pure pathetic politics"

Your limitless defense of her, I agree, is pathetic politics. Asking why other nations got out of Benghazi, while only Americans were left to die, is not a fair question in your mind? Your refusal to ask her any questions, seems fairly political, as no reasonable person would argue that we screwed up there, and she was in charge of the agency that screwed up.

"Why didn't they look into why Congress turned down requests for more $ to strengthen the defenses of our embassies?"

If that's true, we need to look into that. Fair enough?
Old 10-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #24
Nebe

It would be really nice if the GOP congress and senate removed their heads from their asses and actually focus on running this country with the focus of prosperity for all and not focus on destroying the dems. And vice versa. It's like watching two rats fight to the death on a log that is being washed out to sea. If they both worked together they could get back to land.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
If they both worked together they could get back to land.
Agreed.

But it's almost impossible to work together, because I honestly don't have a clue what unites us anymore.

In San Francisco, an innocent, beautiful girl is murdered, as a direct cconsequence of the sanctuary city policy. What do they do? They uninamously vote to remain a sanctuary city, and pat themselves on the back for not letting Foxnews tell them what to do (they actually did this in speeches after the vote, as if mentioning a TV station that 1% of the nation watches, has any place in forming public policy).

If you think that's asinine, your are a conservative. If you think that it's great to give Foxnews and federal law enforcement the middle finger, even if it means sacrificing the occasional innocent person, you are a liberal.

Not much common ground anymore.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #26
PaulS

The Repubs. have turned into the party of "if I can't get my way, I'm taking my ball and going home". They don't have any ideas and can't agree on anything. Their idea of government is throwing insults.

Pathetic
Old 10-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #27
scottw

Quote:
The Repubs. have turned into the party of "if I can't get my way, I'm taking my ball and going home". They don't have any ideas and can't agree on anything. Their idea of government is throwing insults.

Pathetic
you have a remarkable blind spot for the antics and shortcomings of the folks on the other side of the aisle..pretty sure the deaths of Americans and the lies and obfuscation by Hillary and the Admin. had a lot to do with the hearings...how about some accountability for the liars and obfuscators?

Last edited by scottw; 10-23-2015 at 12:35 PM..
Old 10-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:

Pathetic
Sigh. Again, rather than responding to what the other side is actually saying, you say we have no ideas. I guess demonizing the opposition is a whole lot easier than responding to what they are actually saying, especially when what they are saying, is so rooted in common sense.

"Their idea of government is throwing insults."

Yawn. Obama says that Republicans "gotta stop just hatin' all the time", I guess we should look to his example on how to include and tolerate the opposition.

The senate Repoublicans just had an idea that if cities want to reject duly constituted federal laws, there would be consequences for that. In other words, the GOP had an idea that federal laws apply to all of us, equally. Shocking, I know. The Senate democrats blocked it, because that idea is offensive to Democrats. Funny, I didn't hear anyone caling them the party of opposition for blocking that.

I agree that the GOP Congress needs to propose more bills articulating their positions, and let the Dems block them all, and let Obama veto the ones the Dems can't block.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #29
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:

Pathetic
How about the Democrats having 2 years of complete control under Obama and not doing squat. It's the Democrats who won't reach across the isle.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #30
Jim in CT

From what I understand (didn't watch any of it, but read summaries), ther ewas evidence presented which might suggest that Hilary suspected this was a planned terrorist attack, while saying pubicly (to cover her azz) that it was a spontaneous response to the video.

Let's remember that the video was made by an American citizen. Hilary is supposed to be working for that person. Instead, she (and Obama) gleefully threw him under the bus, for political expediency.