Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #61
Jimbo

Selinsgrove, PA. Only thing I remember is working mega hours in the cafeteria, drinking way to much Genessey Cream Ale, and getting caught stealing wood so we could have a fire in the fireplace in our fraternity house.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #62
Bigcat

I was running a 966 cat loader in Boston. I made a ton of money on the side

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #63
Slingah

we were snowed in...I lived on a hill and had a clear view of the S.E. Expressway out my kitchen window from about a 1/2 mile away.....it was my birthday...I skied down my hill a zillion times...and all around the neighborhood.....GREAT memories of that storm....
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #64
Flaptail

Smile

I left Worcester that morning at 5am, it was a Monday and the friday before we had gotten 20 inches of snow on Grafton Hill, my old section of town. I was enroute to United Shoe Machine on the Beverley/Danvers line on rt. 62 for a meeting for an Electrical Project I was pm'ing.

As soon as I got there at 7:30 the guys at the loading dock told me I had a message from my boss, Ted Coghlin jr of Coghlin Electrical Contractors for me to call him. He had been watching the weather on the tv stations and it was not good. He told me to forget the meeting and get home to the shop asap back in Worcester.

I had bundles of sched 40 Galvi steel conduit in the back of my company pick up and decided to keep them in the truck and not drop them off as I would need the weight. I went back to rt. 128 on rt 62. As I passed a White Hen Pantry on the banks of the Danvers River the water was already coming over into the store parking lot. I got On Rt. 128 south and it took an hour to get from rt. 62 to rt. 114 where I made the decision to take 114 to 495s.

Best decision I ever made. It took 6 and a half hours to get to Worcester in 4 wheel drive with the pipe in the back helping to weigh me down. I parked the truck in front of my house and did not see it again until Wednesday Mornning as we shoveled it out of a ten foot drift that buried it.

Me and my cat Nina just partied for three days. Talk about wasted.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #65
kevin d

It was my senior year in high school. I remember the radio or tv calling for light flurries that morning. As I was getting in my car the snow started, those really small flakes. My dad told me " You'll be home early today." About 15 minutes after school started it was cancelled. The principal's last words to us all: Drive carefully." While waiting to turn onto Turnpike Ave I was rear ended. I got out of the car to check the damage only to find out it was the principal who hit me
There was a group of us who stood on the side of Bristol Ferry Road and dug people out of the snow drifts that they slammed into. We made some good money doing that and doing driveways the next couple of days. Boy did we party too!
kevin d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #66
pmueller
Captain Pete

Great thread. I was in pharmacology class at Northeastern. There was a dude that interupted the prof. with a note. Get out of class PDQ. Funny, when we got out of class, it was only flurries. By the time I got to the expressway it was like the commercial, follow the lights in front of you. Lucky to make it home in my '71 Pinto. I loved that car. Many of my friends got stuck on 128 and had to stay over in the cinema in Dedham. They ended up walking home a day or two later.
After the driving curfew, the town of Randolph experinced alot of issues with public drunkeness. Shut all the bars and package stores down. Luckily, the supermarket I worked at had a beer and wine section. Boy, I was the hero for a day.
It got a little chippy at home when I would share the brewskies with big bros.
Wild storm, the drifts that covered my pinto and my dads truck ran all the way up to the garage roof.
pmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #67
pmueller
Captain Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
I was born in Nov. of '78. 9 months later. hmmmmm
Snow boomer
pmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #68
HESH2

living in ct. governor ella grasso declared state of emergency.rt 91 and 95 were clogged with abandoned cars.i was working and left work at 3pm on a state road and got home to my street that was clogged with snow and got stuck in middle of road in front of my driveway.neighbor who worked for a contractor came shortly after driving a big payloader,put bucket under rear bumper and pushed me into my driveway.next day after he had plowed all nite he came home and plowed our street and we could get out.never saw snowed so high along roadways and parking lots.placed where i was working did'nt get plowed out for 3 days.
HESH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #69
doc

i was nine...and i remember building snow forts in what seemed like mountains of snowbanks...also remember the north shore getting hammered by a massive surf....

Last edited by doc; 02-27-2007 at 11:47 AM..
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #70
HighTide

Send a message via AIM to HighTide
i was 14 at the time and remember being let out of school early that day and walking home from 3rd street in a white out. Also I remember the Peter Stuyvesant sinking next to Anthony's Pier 4 and the fishing pier at Castle Island completely twisted apart.
HighTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #71
saltfly

I worked for MA BELL in hull,cohasset,and scituate.A friend called me to help get out of his basement appt.in hull.the water was pouring down the stairs as we grabbed what we could and drove out with water coming in the doors of my 76f-250.We got to higher ground and stopped to watch lobsters and tommy cod swimming where we had just left.We couldn't resist,we went into the water and grabbed appx.35lobsters in less than 10 mins and got out of town to my appt.in weymouth landing.We invited evryone from the bar accross the street and stuffed ourselves.I used my new x-country skis to get to peoples houses to fix their phones.Alot of houses in scituate & cohasset the phone cable was at eye height on the skis.Then we started on body recovery duty[3 people were missing in scituate] we tied lines to our climbing belts and dug into houses filled with rubble looking for the missing.The devistation was unbelievable.But truthfully it was alot of fun working together with all kinds of people for the "cause".I could go on and on with stories.I was 27 yrs old.and the partys oh man!!!! The police chief in Braintree closed all the package stores and bars I think it was on the thind day after the storm.
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #72
goosefish

I was living over in Hong Kong then, so I missed it. Saw Gloria, Bob, and the Perfect Storm, all three of those in Newport.
goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #73
HESH2

week after was in boston with son for hockey game.people had put chairs in street where they had sholved out there cars to protect parking space.drove down to scituate where there was no snow near water.storm blew in so fierce houses and cottages moved off foundations and were across the street from where they had been.trees had line of snow on side facing water where wind had blown it.about 2 blocks from water there was alot of snow.i think the storm hit at high tide.
HESH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #74
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Wink

I was 9 years old and in CT. Can remember the monstorous snow banks. We actually went sledding on them and played street hockey in the street for days. I remember the payloader too Hesh2....

Ice
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #75
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I was in downtown Providence at Spiedel. Working for IBM. Left at 4:00 PM and made it to Burrillville at 11:00 PM. I had a Ford F250 4X4 and drove up the median strip on RT 95 to 295. 7:00 hours drive. Killer.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #76
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmueller View Post
Snow boomer
yeah, I was apparently being conceived as well.... I was born in Nov of 78. Oh it's a great story my parents love to tell my friends and embarass me with.... my Dad was in the National Guard at the time came home on a snowmobile...blah blah blah,..... here I am....
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #77
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I got snowed in with my girlfriend for a week .. The blizzard of 78 was the peak of my career... Look back at it fondly ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #78
WoodyCT

Ouch

I was a third grader. Went sledding at my neighbor's farm and hit a tree head on on my trusty double runner. Broken wrist! Mom drove me 15 miles to the hospital in HEAVY snow. Boy was she pissed!
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #79
icefishmd

I was 2
icefishmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #80
daceman63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
At the Pub across from the Town Beach in Wellfleet Center watching the storm and the Harbor. Boss was buying, we got plowed...
"The Bomb Shelter"?
daceman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #81
slow eddie
slow eddie

i was sitting in my tractor-trailer at the state line truck stop at the conn. r.i. state line. waited 4 days for the state to plow 95. you gotta love this state.
p.s. the conn roads were clear.
slow eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #82
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

lookie what I found

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #83
missing link

I also grew up in Scituate,Ma. During the storm I lived on Kent St. and across the salt marsh from Pegoty beach 2 streets up from the harbor the apt I lived at was up high on a hill and lived above a girl Sherry who worked at the Bell Bouy Resturant/ BAR those from Scituate will remember her great floatation devices but she had very intimidating boyfriend ,Oh ya the STORM
I remember walking downtown past Quincy oil and seeing the NO WAKE sign floating past the TOWN PUMP Cleaners the waves were crashing over the houses on pegotty beach , I worked for Allen Wheeler Co. and P/T at Scituate harbor marina behind Pier 44 resturant , I hauled alot of debris snow and me and my bud Chris O'neil whose Dad owned the marina had to rebuild the ramp to the marina and gather all the floating walkways .
I remember walking up to 3rd cliff and seeing the helicopters flying up and down the coast line very low . Oh man Lighthouse Pt, Sand Hills , Minot, unbelivable , .
I know Stripersniper and Big Pete saw the same if not more.
I grew up on Ridge hill rd across from Pegotty Beach and before Kent St & Driftway were built up any extream hightide or storm reaked Havoc in that aera I used to have small boats in my back yard
I had a blast growing up there .
Link Sr

ps :the night of the storm at the downstairs of the Bell Bouy the CARS were playing ,that band got their start there

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote