Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #61
NIB

I like all wind..Off shore winds can lead to good fishing.It depends on the bait present and the time of the year also.Wind will also effect water temps..There's more to this than most realize..
Hard off shore winds will bring a upwelling here in NJ. That is all the warm water blows off the top.It gets replaced with cooler water from the bottom.This can be good late spring early summer as the temps creep into the High 60's. S-SW will even lower the temps some more.As it pulls water from the deeper regions in my area..Water temps near 58-60 degree's are the catalyst for the big fish blitzes here in NJ.
We'll have the bait for days/weeks and little to no action from the beach.Then the wind turns hard S or SW and all hell will break loose.Warmer water slows their metabolism and they don't need to eat as much.They will sit on the rockpiles off shore and pick.When the temp's get to their optimum range they can't eat enough..
It is my belief that a heavy off shore wind will also pin the bait against the beach.As they can not deal with the unpleasant conditions in the sawtooth on the horizon..Especially your smaller baits like peanuts mullet herring and sand eels.A good day of this and they run out of room and the bass know it.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #62
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I have learned that it sucks to try to micro manage fishing to the point of rocket science.......and its not that there is no merit to it as many of you are great at it.....I just am not! So.....I try my best to pick my spots and hit them when I feel the best opportunity will present itself but mostly.......to have fun. Alot of the time, spot depending, I will go fishing there just because I want to go.....it may not even be the best tide or time but I just want to go wet a line and clear my head! More often than not those times are the best times!

Most importantly I have learned that everyone has their own theories and that nothing is etched in stone as to why, when and where! Also I have learned not to chase yesterdays fishing.....it more often than not does not show up for a repeat performance!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #63
NIB

Fishing can be many things to many different people.
It's all good..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #64
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post
Z,

My post wasn't a misrepresentation/misleading. Its what I've experienced from fishing the outer cape,RI, and canal for many years. I fish eels alot and wind at your back is the way to go. An no, you don't need white water by any means, either. In some places its(white water) great to have, like Race Point, but most other places I've fished its just not needed. I stand on my opinion 100%.

Alot of publications/books, etc. imply white water is needed and little heed is paid to fishing the flat water. I know you recently put out a couple books, but I haven't read either of them. My "crap" comment certainly wasn't an admonition of your work, but more a criticism of a thought process people sometimes employ, regardless of where its printed.
If that is the case then I owe you a sincerest apology.I (like an idiot) assumed that you were talking about a white water chapter in my book. Please except my sincerest apologies. I'll even send you both of of my of my books,free of charge if you PM me your address. Sometimes i read into things that I shouldn't and end up with an egg on my face not the first time and probably not the last

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #65
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I have learned that it sucks to try to micro manage fishing to the point of rocket science.......and its not that there is no merit to it as many of you are great at it.....I just am not! So.....I try my best to pick my spots and hit them when I feel the best opportunity will present itself but mostly.......to have fun. Alot of the time, spot depending, I will go fishing there just because I want to go.....it may not even be the best tide or time but I just want to go wet a line and clear my head! More often than not those times are the best times!

Most importantly I have learned that everyone has their own theories and that nothing is etched in stone as to why, when and where! Also I have learned not to chase yesterdays fishing.....it more often than not does not show up for a repeat performance!
That sounds right

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #66
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post

If that is the case then I owe you a sincerest apology.I (like an idiot) assumed that you were talking about a white water chapter in my book. Please except my sincerest apologies. I'll even send you both of of my of my books,free of charge if you PM me your address. Sometimes i read into things that I shouldn't and end up with an egg on my face not the first time and probably not the last
Z,

Not a problem and no restitution/apology necessary, but I appreciate the gesture. After I read my post a few times its easy to see how it could be misleading. Believe me, no offense was taken on my part. Good, constructive debate is always welcome.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #67
LeCounts1099

Z is a great guy who cares how he's perceived! (rare these days)... Don't think anyone here really took offense Z! We love reading your take on things!

I CAN tell you though, back from my Outer Cape years... during stable Fall fronts featuring mild temps & Southerly/ SW erly or even cold NW erly winds-- during those periods in Sept. & Oct. (pre- Seals ) ... I made sure to head to the Cape & would stay the duration!

Once the next bad- weather Front was arriving... & the wind went heavy SE then E / NE ... that's the time I'd be driving down to New London to catch the earliest Ferry back to L.I. & M.!

Different (weather/ wind) conditions definitely affect different areas/ surf- fisheries differently!
LeCounts1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #68
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I was offended! Z....I will PM my address...if you could just personalize both books with...."To my dear fishing buddy Larry"!
Then I will forgive you!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #69
Zeno

You better have some "extra" plugs when we meet at Cutty in few months...you'll be going home a lot "lighter"

Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #70
WESTPORTMAFIA

If you find a plug on the beach don't use it until you replace the hooks. 6 big fish in a row lost on an Atom 40 with %$%$%$%$ted up hooks. It was can painted black top, silver belly with a red chin. The fish didn't even bump my other plugs. I think that was the most frustrating nigh out all year.
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #71
bassballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
one thing i learned is that i'm a lot weirder than most 25 yr olds...

My girlfreind tells me the same thing.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #72
Krispy

I learned the word "Danny" is owned by Gibbs
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #73
Krispy

Seriously though, being new to this sport can be difficult. As someone who has been fishing less than a decade and didn't grow up fishing, wading through the huge amounts p info online, books and magazines can be overwhelming.
I've learned to ignore 99 percent of the expert opinion.
As BB likes to say, show me the slips and what have you done lately, those are the only people I look toward for answers.
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:20 AM   #74
canalbeach

I've learned that "The big fish go farther North than I ever expected" and there is no crowds there.....
canalbeach is offline   Reply With Quote