Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

good morning .. I winged this eely last year .. pikie 3 lip I think .. small tail weight .. I got a couple of fish on it .. I'm mainly throwing needles ,pp or spooks .. I like this plug though . Cast ok .. more interresting profile ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

forgot pic ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eely.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	37323  
Old 12-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Backbeach Jake

Nice!
Haven't done anything this weekend but entertain. So I'll try to pay attention and learn something this AM.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Good morning! Got your coffee? I thought this morning, with the passing of lure building legend Bob Pond, we could honor his legacy in lure building a bit and maybe post some pics of any vintage Bob Pond/Atom creations if any of us own some or even some copies and talk about Bob and share some stories if we have any along with the usual chatter this am?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
stripermaineiac

Hi Larry,Wish I could figure out the prob with gettin pics up here. I've got so much of Bob's stuff that it's crazy.Was a very good freind and a great teacher. Kinda sucks him bein gone.He's the one that got me into plug fishing as a kid up here in Maine back in the 60's
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripermaineiac View Post
Hi Larry,Wish I could figure out the prob with gettin pics up here. I've got so much of Bob's stuff that it's crazy.Was a very good freind and a great teacher. Kinda sucks him bein gone.He's the one that got me into plug fishing as a kid up here in Maine back in the 60's
bummer you can't post pics ,, You can probably help us out alot with info and history ,.. This stuff isn't in books . I believe this to be an Atom (Bob Pond ) jigg ,, weighs 3.2 ...good friend gave it to me ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bobpond.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	37327  
Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
the greek

These are a couple 40'ish knockoffs I've been playing with. It's shorter at 6 1/4" but bigger in diameter and weighs 2.85 oz.

the greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

We've all made a jr. or a 40 .... what plug builder has not been influenced by Bob Pond ? nice pics Ted ..
Old 12-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
stripermaineiac

Out of curiosity how'd you find out about his passing. Ron
Old 12-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Out of curiosity how'd you find out about his passing. Ron
check main forum here and SOL .. Everyone loved your friend Bob ...
Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Its posted in the main forum and on SOL! Maybe you could share some stories with us? Sorry for your very personal loss Ron.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
stripermaineiac

Hi Tagger, I just went out in the shop an looked through a box of lead heads Bob played with, Got a few of them in it all different sizes. He loved the peice of broom handle with a leadhead behind it and was always experimenting with it. Ihe one he put on the market with the change able hair started out with a couple blems that the sun got to and floated a bit higher in the water Ron
Old 12-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Hi Tagger, I just went out in the shop an looked through a box of lead heads Bob played with............
That is what I'll remember most about Bob Pond, he had such an inquisitive and enthusiastic mind. Fish, fishing, plugs, jigs.......always thinking and working at figuring things out, trying something new and different.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

No ProfMoriarty this am?? Hmmmmm?

Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
stripermaineiac

Hi all,I just talked with Avis' daughter. They're gonna try to do a memorial service next Sat. She's gonna have her son put the info up on the web sites to get it out.This will give people time to make travel plans an such. If I get anymore info I can post I'll put it out there. Ron
Old 12-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #16
stripermaineiac

Well I'm headin out to the shop an do some turnin an look at some old pics an such. Quite a surprise. Ron
Old 12-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Headed down the basement to do some drilling...I will check in later!

Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Had to get my beauty sleep and just got home from church and the house looks like a bomb went off so wife is on my butt to help clean up the remnants of hurricane Caitlin that went thru here on Friday morning. Also just finished putting up the Barbie dream house so here I am late as usual.
Lips well Lu mentioned water jet. I have tried for a while to get some done down at WHOI as they have one but no luck so far. I also know someone who knows someone that owns a place that does that so I am still at work on it. The dies are too expensive for someone to buy if they are not going to go into business and now there are several doing it so not worth trying to make a business venture out of it. So I just make a few here and there for my self and a few friends and live with that. But I am not giving up on the water jet thing. The bending is very simple it is the outline that takes me the most time so water jet would be perfect, if I can get it down to a reasonable cost. Just this week I took regular Pikie 3 lips and just recut the lip slot where is should be for Pichney surface swimmers. Should work perfect.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #19
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Also just finished putting up the Barbie dream house so here I am late as usual.
How's Barbie doing now adays ? Is she feeling the recession ? What kind of house ?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #20
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Had to get my beauty sleep and just got home from church and the house looks like a bomb went off so wife is on my butt to help clean up the remnants of hurricane Caitlin that went thru here on Friday morning. Also just finished putting up the Barbie dream house so here I am late as usual.
Lips well Lu mentioned water jet. I have tried for a while to get some done down at WHOI as they have one but no luck so far. I also know someone who knows someone that owns a place that does that so I am still at work on it. The dies are too expensive for someone to buy if they are not going to go into business and now there are several doing it so not worth trying to make a business venture out of it. So I just make a few here and there for my self and a few friends and live with that. But I am not giving up on the water jet thing. The bending is very simple it is the outline that takes me the most time so water jet would be perfect, if I can get it down to a reasonable cost. Just this week I took regular Pikie 3 lips and just recut the lip slot where is should be for Pichney surface swimmers. Should work perfect.
I have a bud that just got an EDM says he wants to make me some as a test and then make more for me at 50 cents a piece.Have to get over to see him.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #21
BILLC

I have 3 wire EDM's at work. Have been trying to get one of the guys in engineering to write some programs but the machines are always busy doing dies.
BILLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #22
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLC View Post
I have 3 wire EDM's at work. Have been trying to get one of the guys in engineering to write some programs but the machines are always busy doing dies.
that is the problem for me too. The darn CNC machines are alway busy making my boss money and not doing fun 3 axis stuff for me so I am stuck figuring out ways to do it the old fashion way that doesn't take an eternity, so as to make it worth while to bother.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #23
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
I have a bud that just got an EDM says he wants to make me some as a test and then make more for me at 50 cents a piece.Have to get over to see him.
you go girl. sounds like a very nice friend to have. I have no tool and die friends anymore. I'm stuck making them by hand right now, which is ok for me, but feel bad when i can't get enough to supply all my friends.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #24
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

friggin 3 story with elevator, hot tub, and a toilet that flushes with sound effects. Got a corvette in the drive too. I am curious how she gets the $$$ to afford the dig's, but I have an idea.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #25
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

yes the white one is side to side too. I like to fish them side to side very slowly with a little pause as they slow to a stop before they head back the other way, when the fish seem a little fussy. They just can not lay off the plug at that speed, same technique with the howdy too. All in the wrist and forearm. More of a quick snap than a sweep for me. If you don't feel like you are getting tennis elbow then you aren't doing it right.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #26
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Not that brilliant Fred. I stole, copied idea. I just sanded the paint of the plastic Youzuri, saw where the weight was and gave it a try in that location. Sandpaper, now that is brilliant.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #27
Jigman

I also prefer to work a spook with the rod tip down and to the side. If the plug is far out, there is current, or there are decent waves, then you'll usually have to work the spook with the rod tip up. I like to mix it up some, work it slow, fast for a short bit, dead stop, move again. Its all good Also agree that its hard to work a spook as well when it is far out. On most days, they are more enticing to stripers than a pencil. Have had several cases where bluefish were blitzing and trashing pencils, put on a spook and work it slow at the edge of the school and start pulling a few stripers out too.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:26 PM   #28
WoodyCT

Dang spooks

Anyone find an optimal action on them things?

I made this great big one outta pine with a little tail weight and no belly lead, and I love it's big lazy zig zags, and even occasional dives and jumps, but dang if I haven't raised a single fish on it.

I'm hoping it's just cuz I haven't put it in front of something big enough to eat it...

Perhaps long coasting zig zags aren't what it takes...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC313558.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	37437  
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #29
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Good morning. Gets later and later each week.

Woody, in my experience decent bass like big lazy slow spooks more than the splashy faster kind. Hard to make yourself work them slow, however, particularly when things are slow and you are searching (same issue arises with swimmers).

Got a big thrill out of F Pintauro's articles about Musso. 2 weeks ago Back Beach was telling me how the "Musso" eely was such a great lure for him at the Race years back. I told him the only eelys I knew of were the BM and Pichney (a style plug I fished years ago a bit but left me underwhelmed). Also they are forward weighted and don't look like fast water plugs to me, so I was surprised (and a little skeptical) they were a hot item at the Race. Accordingly my eyes popped out when lo and behold there is a picture of one in Frank's article. That and a Musso bottle darter, and some lipless swimmers.
Certainly got the juices flowing. Here are some prototypes (next to a copy of a musso pine sr).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inwork.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	37480  
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #30
Backbeach Jake

Just sitting in the back of the classroom, George. My usual seat.
I've been working on some long and skinnys myself, shooting for a sandeel.
Figured how to hydro without water or other liquid yesterday. Now I don't have to redry my spun wood. The plug orients just about as forcefully as in water.
I'll be drilling and slotting this afternoon

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote