Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

View Poll Results: When did America start to go to Hell
The Fifties 3 5.77%
The Sixties 21 40.38%
The Seventies 5 9.62%
The Eighties 13 25.00%
What do you mean, this country is better than ever! 6 11.54%
Thsi Country has always been hell! 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Raven

well spoken Swimmer and JPI

the catch phrase

wait til your father comes home

no longer has any meaning....

now a days the kids can just divorce their parents

what the hell is up with that

sad to say this...

but in todays world ...i'm glad i don't have kids.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
the catch phrase

wait til your father comes home

no longer has any meaning....
Ya Rav, and it wasn't because he spanked ya,

although i had more than one sore butt i deserved ,

it was because he demanded and got respect.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
ROCKFISH

Wink

me thinks you need to go back a bit further. it all started in a garden, with a man and a woman and a snake, under a fruit tree. its been downhill ever since.
ROCKFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Raven

the fruit was a magic mushroom
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKFISH View Post
me thinks you need to go back a bit further. it all started in a garden, with a man and a woman and a snake, under a fruit tree. its been downhill ever since.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
Backbeach Jake

Unhappy

It started going to hell, when we stopped looking one another in the eye and say hello as we pass on the street. Even strangers. It started when kids couldn't play outside after dusk playing hide and seek and catch fireflies, unsupervised. It started when we began being punished for something we MIGHT do and then let off the hook when we DID do it. It started when the first working stiff was let go after 20 years just to keep profits up, not save the company.It started when stores started thinking "who's this arsehole" instead of saying" how can I help you today?" It started with pictures on the cash registers instead of numbers. It started when we the people started accepting injustice, unfairness and just a general lack of care for each other. In my opinion this Country is no more than an echo of what it once aspired to, the idea is still there, we say all the right words, but in reality, we're full of it. Our execution is just lame across the board. My rant for the day..

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
spence

All this bad stuff you guys mention has been around for ever.

Yea, kids can't go out alone...but how much of that is due to increased danger vs paranoia? You don't think there were peds working the streets 50 years ago? Of course there were...but as a society we ignored the topic becuase we couldn't deal with it. Now it's a hot topic, it's our perception that's changed.

Laying off an employee in the name of profit. You don't think this hasn't been going on since the beginning of time?

Wanna go back to a time where the women were kept barefoot, pregnant and uneducated, it was ok for a father to beat his son in the name of dicipline?

I don't.

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Lots of good & great points here! It has been touched on but I would say the change occurred when parents stopped REALLY teaching their kids right & wrong, honor & respect, cause & effect. I've seen it in my own family growing up, myself, I've seen it with various kids in Day Care to Public Schools.

Everything flows down from childhood. That is the root. How that root is mentored by the family makes a tremendous difference. Sometimes that mentoring is negative because of people, sometimes because of circumstance. But more often than not, bad parenting will turn out a troubled kid and that troubled kid, more often than not, won't be up to snuff in parenting. Sure, some kids "Get it" and change themselves but the trend is probably the other way...

As mentioned many times, the sad lack of respect. Respect for parents, teachers, authority, the law, the environment, learning, etc...

Respect, 9 times out of 10, is developed in one place - at home with the family!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote