Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Jimbo

Dropping the Last One Off at College.

I don't know how it was for anyone else dropping off the last cherub at college, but for me yesterday was sheer he!!.

At least they don't make it easy on parents (make that fathers) of freshman girls going off to Bloomsburg University. I had my truck packed to the hilt, there was just enough room for the three of us to get in and 3 hours later when we got to the dorm there were kids unpacking the truck and hauling it up to Hannah's room on the fourth floor for us. One nice young man even formally welcomed us..."Welcome to Tampon Tower..."...SAY WHAT MY YOUNG COLEGIATE WISE ASS? AND LOOK AT ME NOT MY DAUGHTER, PLEASE! Apparently Hannah's dorm is 7 floors of freshman girls 2 floors of boys. So that was when the torture began. After unloading the person who stayed with the vehicle had to move it. Move it meant down a steep hill on a narrow, windey road to an overflow lot that's part of a nearby hospital. No problem, Heck I even thought of putting it in 4WD for effect. Then reality set in. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I just drove down a STEEP HILL to make room for other parents dropping off kids. That means I have to hike back up But I made it, slightly winded, knees aching a bit, of course when I got in sight of students I had to stand straight up as though I enjoyed being a billy goat. Walking into the dorm there was even a cool breeze. I walked over to the elevator and was just about to press the button and found myself face to face with who appeared to be one of the leaders of the move-in help crew and she informed me the elevator was reserved for freshmen and their belongings and pointed to the stairs. I said, "Whoa! I'm 56. I just parked my truck where you told me to and I survived the billy goat climb challenge back up, now I have to climb 4 flights of stairs? "Yes, sorry, but if you don't mind." Good lord help me! I make it to the 4th floor, scanning the walls to make sure there's one of those portable defibrillators, damn, well hopefully someone will punch me in the chest a few times if I need it. The rest of the day I could tell which of the fathers in the stairwell had been forced to march up "the hill" just by that dazed, zombie like look in their faces.
Ah here it is, room 411, and look at all the activity, and oh my, Hannah's roommate brought even more "stuff" than Hannah, well, I'm sure they'll make it fit. Among the flutter and noise in the room I see Jen speaking at me. My heart's still pumping wildly from my earlier mountain climbing experience, but I think she's saying, "Did you bring Hannah's paperwork?" "Well, no I didn't, it's in that plastic folder back in the truck. Why do you ask?" My lower lip started tremble uncontrollably, my eye might have twitched I don't recall, but suddenly I sensed what was coming next and in my then near perfect lip-reading skills I read, "You need to go back and get it quick because the health office closes for a while around noon. Didn't you get my text?" "Text? My phone is in the car. I don't have time for no stinkin' text I was too busy climbing Mount Killafreshmansparent, out back. PLEEEEAASSSEEE don't make me go back down there?" I got a "look". I turned, head hung low. "OK, I'll go, but if I don't come back just check at the bottom of the mountain where the other missing parents are probably lying."
I got to the truck and saw my bottle of ginger ale inside. Ahhh, my good old favorite thirst quencher. Then I panicked for a second when I couldn't find my keys and quickly realized I had been squeezing them in my other hand on the trek down. The soda was warm. This just wasn't going to be my day. I grabbed the folder and headed back up K2. Luckily there was some bright orange on the folder so if I ended up dead in a pile of rip-rap someone might one day find me. Halfway up I stopped and steadied myself holding onto the bottom of a staircase railing, sweat dripping off me like rain, my knees shaking and my legs feeling like they were still walking up steps even though I was stationary. Two f***ing co-eds had the nerve to jog by me up the trail and out of sight, actually having a calm discussion as they passed. "You freaking kids disgust me." Finally, I made it to terra flatta, staggered into the dorm, the elevator nazi pointed toward the stairs, I didn't even argue (maybe I gave her the finger, I was a little loopy at that point). I fall into the room and handed Jen the folder. "Oh, didn't you get my text? Hannah said she'd take the forms this afternoon or tomorrow." That woman will never know how close she came to being the first woman to fly out of a 4th story window in Tampon Tower.
Then it was time to go out for lunch, which was nice. We got back to the dorm for a final "make sure everything was all set". Probably take half an hour, but do you think those help mover-in bastards would let me park for that short amount of time? "Sir what you need to do is follow this windey one way street down and park in the..." "I know where to f***ing park you lousy...say, you aren't by any chance related to the elevator nazi are you?" Well I made it up Kilimanjaro one last time and then a foreign exchange student, I think, made me a licensed sherpa, or maybe we're engaged I really don't care. We said our goodbyes and we were on our way. I no longer have to worry about the mountain, only when will the floods of my Indian bride, "Mothermissingdaughter" subside? Come Parent's Weekend I'm hiring a limo.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Lol, just about peed myself laughing while reading that! Sorry about your experience.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Winded from just reading your ordeal!

When I dropped my son off 1st year in Philly, middle of Hurricane Bob downpours/wind, power out no elevators or A/C, and he was on the 13th floor of 15! I'll match your Mount K with those stairwells any day.

Last edited by PRBuzz; 08-21-2014 at 04:32 PM..
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I'm dropping my 1st off next weekend
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I would have used that elevator, and no one would have kept me from it.
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Great write up! I would have informed the elevator Nazi that the tuition check you wrote had cleared....... And that you would be using the elevator.
I know freshmen are prohibited from having cars at many schools, but you might want to start searching for one (a car)now to avoid that nonsense in the future. I drove myself to UMass in my 1966 Mustang with a UHaul mini trailer behind it. Gawd, that was 39 years ago.......
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Taking my daughter for her first college visit tomorrow
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #8
vineyardblues

Lol
Every bit is true, they are all great life events, just like writing all the checks for the next 4 years.
Make sure your sitting down...
Congrats
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Actually it sounds like it was well organized. Having worked at a college and delivered my kids to several others, you were not that bad off. You could have had to park a long ways away to unload, waited hours for the elevator to find its broken and not had anyone to be mad at except yourself for letting your kid go to that Podunk school.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Too funny, Jim. Don't worry it gets worse. The trail I used to run 4 miles on
then dropped to 2, then rode my bike, I am now walking on with 56 year olds passing me with a normal gate. LOL

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
Jimbo

Yep, it's all good. Probably came off as more of a grouch than I really am. Nobody got hurt in the dropping off of our last child. Well there might have been a few that had to take a knee if they ventured through the vapor trails I left in that stairwell. So, what do DINK's with nothing on their plate do for excitement, well, there's this 125' tower nearby, dedicated to George Washington and his men that I've been meaning to climb...it's supposed to have an elevator in it.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
WESTPORTMAFIA

Lmfao! This post is hilarious. Tampon tower!
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thanks for sharing your story. Funny stuff.
By the time I am ready to take my daughter I'll be 61. Guess I should start working out now to prepare.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWPORTMAFIA View Post
Lmfao! This post is hilarious. Tampon tower!
That is too funny,sorry but gotta laugh at the young puke who obviously has no bed side manner (no pun intended). I have a son who is going back next week for his second year and he's told me some pretty good story's of the lines the RA's pull...

I'll be in in similar boots in three years when my daughter goes to college.
When I drop her of I will have a shovel and a 30/30 on the roof of the truck and I will let all the wanna be's know that I can use -em both very efficiently.

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #15
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Hahaha

That was great. Glad you can laugh at it now though

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote