Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Jimbo

Cool things come to those who are patient

This is probably sort of corny, but I've been helping my wife going through her father's estate, sometimes with the help of her siblings sometimes not, it's a tough, emotional task. Right after her father's death one sister came and removed a .22 and an old Davy Crocket looking musket that had hung over the fireplace, saying that she wanted them passed on to sons who had spoken often about the guns with her father. OK, so go get them appraised and that comes out of your share. Never heard back on that task. Not long after that my wife came home and nervously presented me with a Colt .45 Model 1908 US ARMY, New Service revolver she found in the back of a closet. All of a sudden a brother who didn't want to help and didn't want anything from the estate comes up with a reason he should get that. OK, so I take it and have it appraised, it's in great shape, real sharp looking weapon, $2800-3000 approximate value. Personally, even without the ammunition (those are big f'ing bullets) for it which I have hidden elsewhere, it's too much firepower to have tucked away in a closet, I'd rather not have it in my house. So that's it for the gun's tough luck Jennifer (my wife), I guess you don't get one. This past weekend I went over to check on the house and go through a really packed basement and the attic, which had been gone through previously. I just didn't want my wife to fall down the stairs or get locked in the attic. About an hour in that dry dusty attic I'd had about enough of old clothes and suitcases. I crawled on my hands and knees across the beams just for the heck of it and glad I was that I did as I saw a black plastic bag sticking out of some insulation. Oh yea baby, what have we here. One more weapon, military issue Krag-Jorgensen Model 1898, bolt-action .30-40 cal. carbine. I'm not a gun person, but old stuff intrigues me, especially when it's owner put his initials on it so we know it's got significance for several reasons, even if not of great monetary value. And the history of the gun itself isn't too shabby, either. The siblings seem to have a renewed interest in cleaning out the house now, too.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Wow - nice finds though sorry for your wife's loss.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
FishermanTim

Isn't it sad when the siblings only show interest, or bother to help when there is something they can get/take?

I'm sorry for your wife's loss. She sounds like a daughter any father would be proud to have.....Sorry she didn't have similar siblings.

I have a friend whose grandparents passed away, and left some properties for the family when they passed. Well, the first thing was the furniture in their house. The siblings came by and proceeded to claim pieces (That chest is mine, that table and chairs are mine, etc...)

OK, that was pathetic enough as it was, but when they learned about the property in Marshfield that was to be sold, these same "loving, caring children" were demanding their "share" of the proceeds.

Now keep in mind that my friend and his father spent countless weekends trying to clean up the properties without as much as one "loving, caring sibling" lifting a finger to help.

Once the properties were sold, my friend's father took his portion (plus extra for the work he put in to it) and left the rest for the vultures to fight over. They also complained that he took more than his share, but my friend's father's lawyer explained to them that they were lucky to get what they did.

It's a shame when people get to show their true colors, and their colors are dull and faded.

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Jimbo

Thanks for the sincere wishes. My wife's sisters and brother really aren't bad people, it's just very upsetting to me that I think their priorities are screwed up, but my wife won't let me say anything about that. Maybe mine are, but I was brought up in a family where having things around that tie you to your ancestors was and still is a big deal. So far we haven't been able to find a family tree so it's been sort of an adventure figuring out who originally or at one time belonged to what and what significance it might have had that my father in law hung on to it. Probably gets a little boring at this point, but I have to finish this. That rifle I found belonged to my wife's great grandfather, who it turns out raised my father in law from a child because his own parents didn't want him. Great Grand Pappy was indeed in the military and was one of the founders (comprised of veterans of foreign service in the Spanish American War and WWI) of the Downingtown, PA VFW. The rifle and his approximate age more likely puts him in the Spanish American War. I'm right now trying to contact the VFW to see if they have any records they can share. It's no longer "just" a gun from the attic and I'm really excited to find out if it went up San Juan Hill with Teddy and the boys. I'll shut up now.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Best wishes to you and your wife. This type of thing happens all the time. You are a good man
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

That Krag 30-40 has a unique magazine box. It was designed as they were moving from black powder and was one of the first to use smokeless powder. Also has a magazine block.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Notfishinenuf

nice find!

Check out this site and you may find some more info on it:

www.kragcollectorsassociation.org

Vic
Notfishinenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Thanks for the sincere wishes. My wife's sisters and brother really aren't bad people, it's just very upsetting to me that I think their priorities are screwed up, but my wife won't let me say anything about that. Maybe mine are, but I was brought up in a family where having things around that tie you to your ancestors was and still is a big deal. So far we haven't been able to find a family tree so it's been sort of an adventure figuring out who originally or at one time belonged to what and what significance it might have had that my father in law hung on to it. Probably gets a little boring at this point, but I have to finish this. That rifle I found belonged to my wife's great grandfather, who it turns out raised my father in law from a child because his own parents didn't want him. Great Grand Pappy was indeed in the military and was one of the founders (comprised of veterans of foreign service in the Spanish American War and WWI) of the Downingtown, PA VFW. The rifle and his approximate age more likely puts him in the Spanish American War. I'm right now trying to contact the VFW to see if they have any records they can share. It's no longer "just" a gun from the attic and I'm really excited to find out if it went up San Juan Hill with Teddy and the boys. I'll shut up now.
Jimbo, everyone's service record are public records. You can access them through the Veterans Administration.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Jimbo, everyone's service record are public records. You can access them through the Veterans Administration.
The VA had a fire a number of years back. Many records were lost, including those of my father's service in WW2.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Jimbo

Thanks for those tips. I may be on to something now.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Your local veterans agent will be able to steer you in the right direction with no duplicity
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote