Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-01-2023, 09:59 AM   #1
rphud
GrandBob

Bari Weiss should be given a listen to

Not a fan of Russel Brand, but everybody should give this a listen to

Old 01-01-2023, 04:52 PM   #2
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphud View Post
Not a fan of Russel Brand, but everybody should give this a listen to

I have seen that video, and thought it was important, and wanted to post it, but knew If I did it would be dismissed as just another "Mr. Youtube" post and not watched or discussed.

I'm glad you posted it.

And Russel Brand is another one who comes from the left that sees the clear and present danger to "our democracy by the direct, or even indirect leverage, of government agencies over what information the public gets and their phony "debunking" that paints actual information as disinformation. The Twitter revelations show the direct hand of government control over information in order to discredit or shut down what it doesn't want the public to hear.

And, again, the typical government/media complex response is trying to discredit the Twitter files as nothing burger, nothing to see here, move on to more important and relevant things like Trump's tax records which are the real threat to "our Democracy."
Old 01-02-2023, 12:41 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Rolling Stone has obtained the Jan 6 committee's unreleased report on how Twitter and other social networks were used to fuel the insurrection.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-02-2023, 07:54 AM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I have seen that video, and thought it was important, and wanted to post it, but knew If I did it would be dismissed as just another "Mr. Youtube" post and not watched or discussed.

I'm glad you posted it.

And Russel Brand is another one who comes from the left that sees the clear and present danger to "our democracy by the direct, or even indirect leverage, of government agencies over what information the public gets and their phony "debunking" that paints actual information as disinformation. The Twitter revelations show the direct hand of government control over information in order to discredit or shut down what it doesn't want the public to hear.

And, again, the typical government/media complex response is trying to discredit the Twitter files as nothing burger, nothing to see here, move on to more important and relevant things like Trump's tax records which are the real threat to "our Democracy."
Let's posit that Trump is mentally and morally sound and that he wants the best for our country. By what calculus could you conclude that he has the skills to actually deliver results as president?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-02-2023, 12:29 PM   #5
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Let's posit that Trump is mentally and morally sound and that he wants the best for our country. By what calculus could you conclude that he has the skills to actually deliver results as president?
He was doing quite well before covid.

Don't know what skills a President must have when the confluence of Deep State illegal tactics against him, opposition party treachery, haters in his own party, as well as fake news legacy media lying about him, constantly accusing him with insinuations, conjectures, inferences, implications, innuendos, hints, suggestions, without solid evidence, and all of the above constantly-without-end investigating him, all the while conspiring to prevent or falsely "debunk" information that favored him, trying to crush him with legal and political indictments in order to imprison him, remove him from office, prevent him from running, totally destroy him, and oh yeah, overturning his election--I don't know what extraordinary skills it would require to enable him to deliver results.

In the meantime, as the video, and the subject of this thread point out, the real and present danger to "our democracy," to our Republic, is that very pernicious, anti-constitutional government suppression of free speech. I know, from previous posts and threads of yours, that you approve of denying any voice to "conservative" views. So it serves your agenda well to change the subject.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:45 PM   #6
wdmso

It’s more of the same noise in your last video. supposed government, censorship coordination.

I don’t know how anyone can say they tried to bury the New York post story when it was in print it was on New York Post website it was on other websites, but they seem to be making their entire case that Twitter, is the only source of information in the country or the world. For people to be informed?

The latest complaint is that Fauci‘s daughter worked at Twitter since 2015 so she must had something to do with Covid. It’s all just more conspiracy theories !

There ate more ask factual evidence in the January 6 commission report then there is an anything this woman says, but the same people who support her dismiss that report out of hand. Funny how that works.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:52 PM   #7
wdmso

On Tuesday, one of Brand’s recent YouTube videos, titled “Trump was RIGHT About Clinton & Russia Collusion!!” started going viral. In it, he claims there is “serious evidence” that Hillary Clinton worked with Russia to create this “conspiracy.”

And Russel Brand is another one who comes from the left that sees the clear and present danger to "our democracy

Wishful thinking

Perhaps Brand should be viewed as less of an ideologue and more of an opportunist;

Knows where the money is it’s in pushing crazy
Old 01-02-2023, 01:59 PM   #8
wdmso

Twitter files as nothing burger,

They are nothing burger . they are a selected release by one man (Musk). without context to selected people, he selected , with. restrictions by musk ! that they must be released only on, Twitter yet Musk he chosen to not have any released to any independent news organizations of course, to avoid scrutiny

And you people are worried about government control of information it’s laughable
Old 01-02-2023, 02:45 PM   #9
rphud
GrandBob

The thing I found most interesting (if true) was the FBI gave various "news" outlets that suspected Russian misinformation was coming in regard to the whole thing so they were ready to remove the content.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:29 PM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
It’s more of the same noise in your last video. supposed government, censorship coordination.

This is exactly the type of "debunking" that is used to suppress interest in a subject. Label it as "noise" and "supposed," while assiduously avoiding any attempt to give any real proof that it is just "noise.

What the twitter files show is that the government coordinated censorship is actual, not "supposed."

don’t know how anyone can say they tried to bury the New York post story

Perhaps it's because you're willfully ignorant. It's buried by willful neglect.

When a leftist talking point somehow gets released in some media outlet, within hours it is regurgitated, even verbatim, on all the other news outlets and becomes a "big story" that is discussed and given credence at least for the next week and sometimes months and sometimes it is repeated, even if not verified, ad infinitum. So the left sided population of the country, as well as many "Republicans" who depend on the "mainstream" media are conditioned to see it as credible. Fox and various "alternative" media may have the opposite opinion about its credibility, but they have been cast as purveyors of misinformation. Even more importantly, it is not blocked on social media like Twitter (but negative comments about the story may be blocked as disinformation). So a majority of the country will consider it worthy of much thought and probably true.

When something like the Hunter laptop story comes out, it is immediately dismissed by the majority of big media (which is leftist) as a nothing burger, or is sometimes aided by a deep state government acency, like the FBI, etc., claiming it as some form of disinformation (Russian, etc.) so the media can claim that the story is legitimately "debunked." Fox and various "alternative" media may cover it positively, but they too have been cast as purveyors of misinformation. And, again, the social media, like Twitter, which a growing number of people, especially younger ones, use as a, or the, news sight of choice, will block it as mis or dis information. So a majority of the country will not consider it worthy of much attention, or won't even be aware of it, and will, hopefully, dismiss it. It is thus "buried" by being dismissed in the eyes of the majority population. Mission accomplished.

Whether you think the laptop story is meaningless noise, or not, it is a story, not a false story nor Russian disinformation, it is public speech that the government should have no power to squelch on any public or private platform. If you do not see the actual danger to "our democracy" when the power of government is used to suppress speech, then you're not a true believer in our constitutionally based system of government.

when it was in print it was on New York Post website it was on other websites, but they seem to be making their entire case that Twitter, is the only source of information in the country or the world. For people to be informed?

The latest complaint is that Fauci‘s daughter worked at Twitter since 2015 so she must had something to do with Covid. It’s all just more conspiracy theories !

Labeling something as "just a conspiracy story", especially without proving it, is a way of suppressing the free flow of ideas by stopping it in its tracks--shut up, don't want to hear it, its just a conspiracy.

There ate more ask factual evidence in the January 6 commission report then there is an anything this woman says, but the same people who support her dismiss that report out of hand. Funny how that works.
Do you believe the government should have the power to suppress the flow of information regarding that "factual" evidence?

Last edited by detbuch; 01-03-2023 at 12:02 AM..
Old 01-02-2023, 03:55 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

The American population doesn’t trust the government with their private information. Imagine how much better they’ll feel knowing that Matt Taibbi and Bari Weiss are in possession of it instead.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:03 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
He was doing quite well before covid.

Don't know what skills a President must have when the confluence of Deep State illegal tactics against him, opposition party treachery, haters in his own party, as well as fake news legacy media lying about him, constantly accusing him with insinuations, conjectures, inferences, implications, innuendos, hints, suggestions, without solid evidence, and all of the above constantly-without-end investigating him, all the while conspiring to prevent or falsely "debunk" information that favored him, trying to crush him with legal and political indictments in order to imprison him, remove him from office, prevent him from running, totally destroy him, and oh yeah, overturning his election--I don't know what extraordinary skills it would require to enable him to deliver results.

In the meantime, as the video, and the subject of this thread point out, the real and present danger to "our democracy," to our Republic, is that very pernicious, anti-constitutional government suppression of free speech. I know, from previous posts and threads of yours, that you approve of denying any voice to "conservative" views. So it serves your agenda well to change the subject.
Trump is a mentally unwell, morally bankrupt person, comically unqualified for the presidency.

Otherwise decent people argue we should ignore this because ends.

Then he debased and disgraced his defenders, waging war against the ends for which they prostituted themselves.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
Trump is a mentally unwell, morally bankrupt person, comically unqualified for the presidency.

Otherwise decent people argue we should ignore this because ends.

Then he debased and disgraced his defenders, waging war against the ends for which they prostituted themselves.
Yada, yada, yada . . . Meanwhile back to government suppression of speech . . .
Old 01-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
Twitter files as nothing burger,

They are nothing burger . they are a selected release by one man (Musk).

Actually, the honcho who initially was seclecting what was released from the Twitter files to the journalists that Musk appointed was a disgraced highly partisan ex-FBI operative, James Baker, who was selectively releasing, to the investigative journalists, only files that did not show FBI or government involvement in suppressing Twitter speech. That would have neutered the investigation of the files to a "nothingburger." Musk, wisely got rid of him. And he greatly expanded the number and types of files that were released.

Baker is an example of what has been called the "revolving door between government, liberal groups and Big Tech." He was probably an agreed upon government plant within the Twitter organization. That he was there to decide who or what would be banned and who would be in charge of what files to release, shows the thoroughness of FBI ability to influence even into the future.

without context

Not sure, but, at least part of the context, if there was one, was to investigate intervention, intrusion, or influence, of any sort by the federal government. What context did you want? The Twitter files are way, way more massive than the number of those within "the context."

to selected people, he selected ,

The journalists he selected, like Matt Taibi, have a reputation of being either non-partisan, or mostly so, or even (Taibi for instance) leaning left in his personal politics if not in his rather politically neutral reportage

with. restrictions by musk ! that they must be released only on, Twitter yet Musk he chosen to not have any released to any independent news organizations of course, to avoid scrutiny

The journalists he selected were "independent". They were not tied to politicized news organizations like the NYT or WAPOST, or FOX, etc. In my opinion it's probably impossible to find any journalist more independent than Matt Taibi. Musk was smart enough to know what would result if the NYT or WAPOST or even FOX were selected would or could have happened. The fact that the original Twitter staff member, James Baker, who was releasing the files to the "independent" journalists was basically a highly partisan mole and was selecting only "nothingburger" files attests to what probably would have happened if Musk released the files to mainstream news orgs.

And you people are worried about government control of information it’s laughable
The fact that you are not worried about it is tragic.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:42 PM   #15
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

People tend to believe what they want to believe and that explains a lot of the far right leaning and if you think ALL news is being manipulated by the left or the government, you might be the one being manipulated.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:56 PM   #16
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
People tend to believe what they want to believe and that explains a lot of the far right leaning

Well, the way you put it," people tend to believe what they want to believe", it would explain a lot of everybody's leaning from far left to middle to far right . . . also why most people, according to that believing what they want to believe syndrome, don't actually know much. They just believe stuff.

and if you think ALL news is being manipulated by the left or the government, you might be the one being manipulated.
Personally, I haven't run into anyone who thinks ALL news is being manipulated by the left. I'm mostly concerned by government manipulation of political speech being done by any form of government from whatever direction, left to right or middle or anarchical.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:23 AM   #17
wdmso

Quote:
Do you believe the government should have To the power to suppress the flow of information regarding that "factual" evidence?
The only person controlling the flow of information I see is Musk only allowing 1 person Matt Taibbi Analysis these releases that only are allowed on twitter

And the biggest reason he won’t release any of the major news organizations as he doesn’t want any scrutiny. He’s in the camp of fake news they’re all in on it so he tries to twist it at this independent journalist is above reproach and no one needs to check his work for that would be called censorship

The government has always controlled the flow of information
This isn’t new.

The problem I see is your what you call factual evidence.

Is never based on facts .. it’s hearsay and innuendo and opinion

There’s never a smoking gun.

Still trying to figure out what speech they suppressed because so far I haven’t seen any examples.

Can you give us a few?

Last edited by wdmso; 01-03-2023 at 08:30 AM..
Old 01-03-2023, 09:07 AM   #18
wdmso

Buffalo Bills Safety Hamlin in Critical Condition After Cardiac Arrest,

The response below are from the same type of people who think Trump won the election.
The FBI suppressed speech the Doj called parents domestic terrorist drag queen shows should be banned .
And Jan6th is a lie. And who the new House will put on a show for. And their latest saviorMusk
because he’s rich and he’s a genius. And they think that he validates their opinions.

These events are happening all over the world in young previously extremely healthy professional and non pro athletes with no indication of heart or other heart related problems. They all have one similar administered "health safety" inoculation as do 4 billion around the world supposedly given to reduce a certain viral infection called covid. Evidence has been released by world recognized scientists and heart specialists as to the one thing they all have in common, the covid vaccine. According to their research and factual evidence the VACCINE causes heart problems, aggressive cancers, blood clots and aneurysm's and a myriad of other serious ailments which cause "sudden death" or debilitating diseases that cause an inability to preform at previous levels and possibly life long disability. The impostor federal government , big pharma, intell agencies and others have suppressed this info and still are for unknown reasons other than possibly liabilities in the trillions of dollars in damages and or prosecution, yet they still disavow the vaccines as the problem. Researchers and fact checkers like Steve Kirsch and Ed Dowd have shown as many 2500 unexplained deaths PER DAY and 5000 disabling events from the vaccines PER DAY, at this rate our work force and military will be reduced to unsustainable levels and get this fact, ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS will have to be trained to REPLACE them thus the open border debacle on our border.

So the guys name Ed dowel he’s a Rumble regular.

Claiming Ed Dowd: "Millennial age group, 25 to 44 experienced an 84% increase in excess mortality"

Blaming Covid vaccines

We’ll here is the problem .. those age groups are the lowest vaccinated in the country

The KFF poll, conducted May 18-25, found that the highest share of unvaccinated respondents were 30-49 years old (41%), followed by 29% ages 18-29 and 20%

But highest age groups for fentanyl overdose

Adults aged 26-39 years had the highest rates of fentanyl overdose deaths

Ed profession : Equity Investment Executive

Yep ( they used to be called snake oil salesmen). Now their Buyers call them and they . proclaim their experts peddling their wares to those who are the most gullible

5 min internet search is all it took to show his claims are bogus.

But you can’t have a conspiracy with out a cover up. And my information would be dismissed as false information because it came from the government..

All conspiracy are just never ending like playing wack a mole once one theory is disproven they just move on and another mole pops from the hole

Last edited by wdmso; 01-03-2023 at 09:19 AM..
Old 01-03-2023, 10:27 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
People tend to believe what they want to believe and that explains a lot of the far right leaning and if you think ALL news is being manipulated by the left or the government, you might be the one being manipulated.
except no one is claiming that.

common tactic among the dim…when you can’t respond to what was actually said, then pretend he said something he actually never came close to saying, and respond to that instead.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:27 AM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled

Sure its possible, its the same FBI that did a sham investigation of Kavanaugh and exploited and then supressed info about Reality Winner exposing Russian interference for trump. There are trump loyalists there.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:12 PM   #21
detbuch

Quote:
The only person controlling the flow of information I see is Musk only allowing 1 person Matt Taibbi Analysis these releases that only are allowed on twitter

He is allowing 4 journalists. If it were only the NYT or only WAPO or only CNN or only CBS or or only NBC or only 5 of those, would you then believe what they concluded? I would guess, maybe am wrong, that you would. And if he only allowed FOX, I would guess you wouldn't believe its conclusions.

And the biggest reason he won’t release any of the major news organizations as he doesn’t want any scrutiny.

He is allowing scrutiny. The journalists he's allowing have all worked for major news orgs in the past. They're just as competent as any reporter that work for them now. And are not now bound by the bias of those orgs.

He’s in the camp of fake news they’re all in on it so he tries to twist it at this independent journalist is above reproach and no one needs to check his work for that would be called censorship

There are 4 and their work will be checked by all manner of news outlets, including major ones. As GS says, you will believe what you want to believe.

The government has always controlled the flow of information
This isn’t new.

Don't think you mean it, but this contradicts your first sentence in this post. In any event this statement seems to say that you're OK with government oversight and control of the flow of information that can be delivered to the public. That would be unconstitutional, and rather frightening.

The problem I see is your what you call factual evidence.

Is never based on facts .. it’s hearsay and innuendo and opinion

There’s never a smoking gun.

I was referring to your statement: "There ate more ask factual evidence in the January 6 commission report then there is an anything this woman says, but the same people who support her dismiss that report out of hand. Funny how that works" when I responded with "Do you believe the government should have the power to suppress the flow of information regarding that "'factual' evidence?"

Still trying to figure out what speech they suppressed because so far I haven’t seen any examples.

Can you give us a few?
O lord . . . if you don't see "debunking" the Hunter laptop story as Russian disinformation (when they knew it wasn't) in order to discredit and dismiss it is not suppression of speech, then why bother giving you any more examples--the examples, which you can find, even on google, of such suppression exposed in the Twitter files are numerous, but, very apparently, you will believe what you want to believe. Do your own research and believe what you want to believe.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:32 PM   #22
wdmso

Quote:
O lord . . . if you don't see "debunking" the Hunter laptop story as Russian disinformation (when they knew it wasn't) in order to discredit and dismiss it is not suppression of speech, then why bother giving you any more examples--the examples, which you can find, even on google, of such suppression exposed in the Twitter files are numerous, but, very apparently, you will believe what you want to believe. Do your own research and believe what you want to believe.
Do you believe the Hunter Biden laptop is going to provide what exactly because the information on that laptop is so corrupted in the chain of custody. You can’t trust anything that’s on that, but that won’t stop you from believing it.

to say that you're OK with government oversight and control of the flow of information that can be delivered to the public. That would be unconstitutional, and rather frightening.

What’s frightening is you believe that it’s actually unconstitutional for the government to control the flow of information apparently, you’ve never heard of national security, top-secret information the Manhattan project I guess in your opinion does it all need to be fed to the public? As it happens

And, like I said, the Hunter, Biden laptop story was covered by many many different news agencies, someone suggesting to take something with a grain of salt, does not equal suppression

And I’m still confused by the hunter laptop story get your goat more than what happen on January 6 maybe you can explain why one is worse than the other
Old 01-03-2023, 12:35 PM   #23
detbuch

Quote:
Sure its possible, its the same FBI that did a sham investigation of Kavanaugh and exploited and then supressed info about Reality Winner exposing Russian interference for trump. There are trump loyalists there.
wdmso would not believe that the FBI suppressed info . . . or would he . . . if it would fit whatever model he wanted to believe . . .

Do you believe that the FBI or any other government agency suppressing information is a threat to "our democracy"?
Old 01-03-2023, 12:53 PM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
wdmso would not believe that the FBI suppressed info . . . or would he . . . if it would fit whatever model he wanted to believe . . .

Do you believe that the FBI or any other government agency suppressing information is a threat to "our democracy"?
Sure, but Elon is far from a safe source.

Elon Musk is the first person in history to lose 200 BILLION dollars.

Let that sink in.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-03-2023, 01:02 PM   #25
wdmso

The only threat to our democracy I’ve seen in my 57 years on this planet was on January 6 and a guy named Donald Trump

Question, do I think suppressing information? Is a threat to our democracy . I take exception with your definition of information. It seems very generic.

Can you be more specific on what information you’re speaking about so I could give you a more informed answer

Old 01-03-2023, 01:05 PM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
Do you believe the Hunter Biden laptop is going to provide what exactly because the information on that laptop is so corrupted in the chain of custody. You can’t trust anything that’s on that, but that won’t stop you from believing it.

So why did the FBI suggest or say or imply or indicate that it was Russian disinformation when they knew it wasn't?

to say that you're OK with government oversight and control of the flow of information that can be delivered to the public. That would be unconstitutional, and rather frightening.

What’s frightening is you believe that it’s actually unconstitutional for the government to control the flow of information apparently, you’ve never heard of national security, top-secret information the Manhattan project I guess in your opinion does it all need to be fed to the public? As it happens

You just said "information" which implies all information, and the Hunter laptop info was not Manhattan Project kind of stuff.

And, like I said, the Hunter, Biden laptop story was covered by many many different news agencies, someone suggesting to take something with a grain of salt, does not equal suppression

It was "debunked" as Russian disinformation, not a grain of salt. And there is no need for the FBI to tell us, or filter through any media, about any mere grain of salt. They are not paid, nor is it their mission, to waste time telling us about mere grains of salt. So why would the FBI spread false information to news outlets other than to suppress the story, to "debunk" it?

And it was falsely covered by most major news agencies, and suppressed by social media outlets, as Russian Disinformation. The lie that it was Russian disinformation was not suppressed by them. The fact that it wasn't Russian disinformation was suppressed. Ergo, the story was suppressed sufficiently enough to dismiss it in the eyes of those who trust major media and social media.

And I’m still confused by the hunter laptop story get your goat more than what happen on January 6 maybe you can explain why one is worse than the other
I am concerned about government suppression of speech. If you can show that government suppressed information about January 6, then I would be with you in saying that was wrong.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:11 PM   #27
wdmso

that government suppressed information about January 6, then I would be with you in saying that was wrong.

The elected government was the Threat from the Top down and many elected leaders to include Trump refused to testify. Willfully suppressing information.from Americas

As for Hunters laptop it’s a good thing it’ll go through a congressional committee, because it wouldn’t survive in a court of law and rules of evidence

If the DOJ doesn’t indict Trump, there’s no way they’re going to indict Hunter over a laptop

Hunters laptop is just noise for 2024 just like Benghazi was .

and I quote

Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), told Fox News’s Sean Hannity explicitly on Tuesday night that the Clinton investigation was part of a “strategy to fight and win.”
Old 01-03-2023, 03:37 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
that government suppressed information about January 6, then I would be with you in saying that was wrong.

The elected government was the Threat from the Top down and many elected leaders to include Trump refused to testify. Willfully suppressing information.from Americas

As for Hunters laptop it’s a good thing it’ll go through a congressional committee, because it wouldn’t survive in a court of law and rules of evidence

If the DOJ doesn’t indict Trump, there’s no way they’re going to indict Hunter over a laptop

and I quote

Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), told Fox News’s Sean Hannity explicitly on Tuesday night that the Clinton investigation was part of a “strategy to fight and win.”
so every time the right is accused of wrongdoing, they are guilty. every time the left is accused of wrongdoing, they are innocent, and the accusations are just a political stunt.

Every single time?

“over a laptop”.

right. it’s about Hunter having a laptop, not what may have been on the laptop.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:51 PM   #29
Jim in CT

wayne, the american people threw president trump out on his rump as soon as they could.

If the FBI is telling social media what stories to bury, that’s a problem because FBI officials aren’t elected. We can’t vote them out if we don’t like what they’re doing. That’s why it’s a bad idea for unelected bureaucrats to have a lot of power.

That’s why it’s a threat to democracy. With elected politicians, we can always un-elect them. Can’t do that with FBI agents or Dr Faucci. So people
like that shouldn’t be setting policy. They should be advising those who do.

This doesn’t mean i think January 6th was a good thing. It’s a separate issue.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:51 PM   #30
detbuch

Quote:

Asking for testimony is searching for a story. If the story is not known, there is no story to suppress. The story, at that point is that someone is asked to testify but refuses to do so. If there are legal consequences for that, they can be imposed and that would be the remedy. There is no government suppression of speech in that instance--there is no speech to suppress. There is instead, in government seeking testimony, its attempt to coerce speech, not suppress it. And at the time that the Jan6 committee was asking for any testimony, Trump was no longer an acting government official.

Whether or not it survives anything is beside the point that it should not have been suppressed by an agency of the government.

That is not a valid argument that a government agency should have falsely characterized the story with the obvious attempt to suppress it.

Yep, now that kind of unproven verbiage is one of the many ways to discredit and suppress speech. But since you are not a government agent, you have a right to do so.

and I quote

A typical political strategy--not that it was just a pack of lies. And it wasn't a government attempt to suppress speech.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-03-2023 at 04:57 PM..