Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Let's discuss something really simple, Healthcare

I'm pretty sick of the squabbling about the BS in Washington emanating from both sides of the aisle and the WH.
How about a discussion of healthcare and how to fix it.
I read an interesting article that has a lot of good points and would be a good approach to developing a revised system.
Yes, I know it is from the bastion of the East Coast liberals but give it a chance.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...y-bracket.html

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Will take a look.

I am actually for some centralized care - but efficient and limited. But we need to fix the budget first.

We didn't - we had two parties that went around each other....

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
PaulS

Who knew healthcare could be so complicated.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
Nebe

It would be an interesting study to find out many dollars are spent of our tax dollars to kill people and how many are spent on saving lives.
I’m being snarky but kind of serious here.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

I think healthcare, the budget and a lot of other things are indicative of the problems that we have with our political system.
For a long time i thought the system was like a giant ball slowly rolling along with most people pushing behind and a few pushing on the right and left to try and move it one way or another. Lately everyone is pushing from the right and left and not many are left to push from behind.
I digress, the article is interesting and discusses the very different approaches other countries have, and they are very different.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

I’m being snarky.

hey...that's my job
Old 01-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
It would be an interesting study to find out many dollars are spent of our tax dollars to kill people and how many are spent on saving lives.
I’m being snarky but kind of serious here.
Here you go
https://www.usgovernmentspending.com...ding_pie_chart

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

I read an interesting opinion piece today https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other
Old 02-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I read an interesting opinion piece today https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other
Would you rather live in the UK or in the US? I do hear they play a better game of cricket in the UK than here. Actually, if I had my druthers, I'd rather live in Switzerland. But it is next to impossible to legally migrate to Switzerland. So, I'd rather live here than in the UK.

Trotting out statistics comparing various things, like health care, between countries, without demonstrating how the method of providing health care depends on and contributes to a country's political and social system, leaves out the most salient point.

I'd rather live in Switzerland because its smaller and more homogenous population mostly agree on values that I agree with, especially values on personal freedom and limitations on government. So it is not racked with the various identity problems we have, nor the racial problems, nor the social bickering fostered by academia and media, etc. And I love the Swiss landscape.

But if Switzerland adopted a British social and political system, I would not want to live there. And there is a nice Forbes article which shows that Swiss style healthcare without the mandate would be possible here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot.../#438d8c6e7d74
Old 03-13-2018, 11:45 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

An interesting study
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e_iOSApp_Other
Old 03-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The health care system is BS. When I severely herniated a disc and had bone fragments now causing me pain 24/7, I had to spend 6 months going through the health care play book in order to finally get a back surgery done and by then much of the damage was now permanent.

Just last week Peg get's her mothers bill for $900 and an accounting of her stay at Life Care in Plymouth. They billed blue cross $15K, they were allowed to bill over $19K, so they were paid more then they billed for and yet her mom still owes them an additional $900. Just because of what they contracted for, they get more then they billed and yet we still need to dig into the last of her savings to pay more then they billed.

Crazy system that will make you nuts.